Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File corruption problem with Sandisk Extreme IV / P30  (Read 2553 times)

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
File corruption problem with Sandisk Extreme IV / P30
« on: November 30, 2009, 02:09:08 am »

I just ran into my first case of multiple corrupted files today.  I was shooting an athlete in the Ultraman World Championship extreme triathlon (a double Ironman over three days) and when I went to import the images from my 4Gb Sandisk Extreme IV card, discovered several types of damaged files.  

I had just reformatted the card with the digital back, a P30, prior to shooting the damaged files.  As I understand it, there are less issues with formatting in camera than with the computer.  I tried importing the photos with three different card readers and with Lightroom and Capture One, but they look the same with all of them.  Oddly, there are several types of horrific effects, the bad files have a few decent shots in between them, and a separate batch of photos with the same card later in the day all turned out with no problems whatsoever.

I don't think that there is any remedy for this type of damage, but would love to hear that there is some sort of magic bullet.  I'm fully prepared to believe in the tooth fairy, too, if it helps my cause.

Can all of this be caused by a bad card, or might the back, or the connection to the camera (Contax 645) be at fault instead?

Thanks in advance for any insight.  I'm dreading telling the athlete that I don't have a single useable shot of his 52 mile run today until he hit the finish line (the photos were destined to be included in an upcoming biography).  

PS:  In case you are wondering:  His right arm is paralyzed from a childhood car accident, and he competes (which includes a 6.2 mile open ocean swim) with only one good arm.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 02:11:49 am by Colorwave »
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

sinar444

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 03:41:42 am »

Quote from: Colorwave
I just ran into my first case of multiple corrupted files today.  I was shooting an athlete in the Ultraman World Championship extreme triathlon (a double Ironman over three days) and when I went to import the images from my 4Gb Sandisk Extreme IV card, discovered several types of damaged files.  

I had just reformatted the card with the digital back, a P30, prior to shooting the damaged files.  As I understand it, there are less issues with formatting in camera than with the computer.  I tried importing the photos with three different card readers and with Lightroom and Capture One, but they look the same with all of them.  Oddly, there are several types of horrific effects, the bad files have a few decent shots in between them, and a separate batch of photos with the same card later in the day all turned out with no problems whatsoever.

I don't think that there is any remedy for this type of damage, but would love to hear that there is some sort of magic bullet.  I'm fully prepared to believe in the tooth fairy, too, if it helps my cause.

Can all of this be caused by a bad card, or might the back, or the connection to the camera (Contax 645) be at fault instead?

Thanks in advance for any insight.  I'm dreading telling the athlete that I don't have a single useable shot of his 52 mile run today until he hit the finish line (the photos were destined to be included in an upcoming biography).  

PS:  In case you are wondering:  His right arm is paralyzed from a childhood car accident, and he competes (which includes a 6.2 mile open ocean swim) with only one good arm.

Hi,

I guess this is a protocol issue between the digital back and the card (DB "misunderstands" something). I had almost exactly the same problem with Sandisk IV (8Gb) and Sinar 54LV digital back. I haven't found solution yet, exept that I use Sandisk III cards now without difficulties.

Best regards

Henry Goh

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 03:47:32 am »

I had similar experience on one occasion.  I believe it was due to back not getting enough power from the battery.  If you shoot tether via firewire, you can confirm if the results are ok.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 04:14:46 am »

Quote from: Henry Goh
I had similar experience on one occasion.  I believe it was due to back not getting enough power from the battery.  If you shoot tether via firewire, you can confirm if the results are ok.
Yeah, for static shots that works.  Unfortunately, this was a handful of grab and run shots at various locations.  I checked my histogram, but didn't look over the shots as I was shooting.  In bright sun on a P30 it is difficult to see anyway.  

It was a freshly charged battery, too, for what that is worth . . . the same battery I shot with later that had no issues.  It wouldn't happen on a shot that I could reshoot, of course.  Perhaps the battery wasn't quite seated fully.  Not knowing if it was the card or not, though, has me leery about using that card again.
-Ron H.

ced

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 06:58:02 am »

Have you tried the recovery software that comes with each card?

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 11:34:54 am »

Yeah.  It looks the same as this, unfortunately.
-Ron H.

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 09:14:59 am »

Did you post this on the phase one user forum?

Have you tried otehr IV cards?

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:10:06 pm »

Yes, I did post it on the Phase One forum, and they suggested I open a support case, which I did as well.  I uploaded my RAW files to PO support, in the hope that they will be able to diagnose it from them.
As for the card, I have only had it act like this once, and I got normal shots after this from the same card, and have not seen the same problems from other cards either.
-Ron H.

Edmund Sumner

• http://http://www.edmundsumner.co.uk/site/index.html
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 01:02:48 pm »

Yes, I did post it on the Phase One forum, and they suggested I open a support case, which I did as well.  I uploaded my RAW files to PO support, in the hope that they will be able to diagnose it from them.
As for the card, I have only had it act like this once, and I got normal shots after this from the same card, and have not seen the same problems from other cards either.

I have had issues in the past but they seems to be resolved by formating via the computer disc utility then re-formating on camera

give it a go

Edmund

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 02:54:37 pm »

Thanks, Edmund.  I'm willing to give it a try.  Anything to be as safe as I can be and hopefully prevent this from rearing it's head in the future.

FWIW:  Phase One support says that they are sure that this is a problem with me shooting too rapidly, before the back is ready.  I have to disagree with them, though, because several of my problem shots were taken at the beginning of a sequence, when the camera and back were most definitely in a ready state.
-Ron H.

tomholland

• http://www.tomhollandphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 05:43:30 pm »

I had a card reader corrupt about  a 1/3 of a shoot once -- imation was the brand. Thankfully the only shots I have ever lost -- phew

Edmund Sumner

• http://http://www.edmundsumner.co.uk/site/index.html
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 03:16:11 pm »

Thanks, Edmund.  I'm willing to give it a try.  Anything to be as safe as I can be and hopefully prevent this from rearing it's head in the future.

FWIW:  Phase One support says that they are sure that this is a problem with me shooting too rapidly, before the back is ready.  I have to disagree with them, though, because several of my problem shots were taken at the beginning of a sequence, when the camera and back were most definitely in a ready state.

well I have t say the only time I have seen similar is when I have shot before the abck was fully ready, sometimes this sticks and you need to re-boot

E
Pages: [1]   Go Up