Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR3 Beta Library Expectations  (Read 1238 times)

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
LR3 Beta Library Expectations
« on: November 30, 2009, 12:16:19 am »

I'm a rookie user of LR,in general, and am giving LR 3 a testdrive.

I need to relatively easily access catalogs of  Raw files on assorted external drives
Catalogs will contain +/- 50-75K images

I've been using Portfolio for a number if years fir basic cataloging and retrieving needs.
With poor support for newer cameras Portfolio is functionally dead and useless to me.

I have now imported a test library into LR 3 of 56K images.
Performs comfortably and does what I need

My question is this.
What should I expect at startup using LR?
I know for a fact that all my previews are not yet processed but, at startup, I have anywhere from about 10-15 minutes of dead time
where the drives are spinning and computer is buzzing away as if it were verifying all images in library.

Is this a normal process for LR?  Will this delay increase as more images are added?  Will this delay cease once writing of backlogged preview files
is caught up?

Thanks
Mark

www.marktomalty.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
LR3 Beta Library Expectations
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:58:15 am »

Hi,

My experience is LR being quite responsive once previews have been generated, but I presume that it needs siginificant RAM. Om my new MacPro with 16 GByte ram I have little issues, the old iMac I had with 3 GByte RAM was not really comfortable once I upgraded to 24 MP DSLR. Running Windows XP on 2.25 GByte RAM was painful, because LR would only use 720 MByte.

My experience was that LR would be simply unusable on Win XP until it has done import and initial previous. If a folder was untouched for a long time significant wait was needed before it would behave normal. Normal behavior could be sluggish. On the Mac (having 64 bit OS) performance was much better.

So I would strongly suggest plenty of memory and a 64 bit OS weather Mac or Windows.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: mtomalty
I'm a rookie user of LR,in general, and am giving LR 3 a testdrive.

I need to relatively easily access catalogs of  Raw files on assorted external drives
Catalogs will contain +/- 50-75K images

I've been using Portfolio for a number if years fir basic cataloging and retrieving needs.
With poor support for newer cameras Portfolio is functionally dead and useless to me.

I have now imported a test library into LR 3 of 56K images.
Performs comfortably and does what I need

My question is this.
What should I expect at startup using LR?
I know for a fact that all my previews are not yet processed but, at startup, I have anywhere from about 10-15 minutes of dead time
where the drives are spinning and computer is buzzing away as if it were verifying all images in library.

Is this a normal process for LR?  Will this delay increase as more images are added?  Will this delay cease once writing of backlogged preview files
is caught up?

Thanks
Mark

www.marktomalty.com
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:19:35 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up