Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C-Stands,C-Stands,C-Stands!!! (and some others as well)  (Read 8333 times)

DanielStone

C-Stands,C-Stands,C-Stands!!! (and some others as well)
« on: November 29, 2009, 05:22:14 pm »

hey all,

I'm finally looking to start my own lighting kit, YAY!!!

first, I'm a student with a tight budget, so money is a big concern right now. I've been looking at the Calumet 40" c-stands(with arm)
THESE HERE

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/MF7040K/

I've used Bogen's and Matthews, I like both, but both are kind of out of my reach right now price-wise. The Calumets are more like what I can afford, especially since I'm looking to get 3-4 to start out with.

but in general, are the Calumet branded c-stands and grip/etc pretty good, and give years of faithful service? There are things I will always rent( ex: fresnel attachments for strobes), since I don't use them for most things, but c-stands are universal....

any thoughts? help would be appreciated, along with personal experience if you can lend some.

blessings,

Dan

KETCHROSSI

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 08:06:00 pm »

Never used them, but in all honesty I will never go out of what I know just to save $21 per set, as the Advengers by Bogen/Manfrotto are the best and worth every penny, use them for years both in my Photography and Cinema work.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2891...Stand_Grip.html

But I'm sure if look you could find them even cheaper and or possibly used, places that sale used Movie equipment have sold them for as low as $50 per set.

michaelnotar

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 08:55:29 pm »

calumet is usually made by someone else and rebadged, best to ask them who actually makes them. i have 10 matthews c stands, the regular ones go for 150, a C+ stand with a turtle base/removable base is 180ish. matthews or american are the big ones in the movie industry on the west side, avenger is a good stand but pricy for a few cosmetic bells. its better to buy 2 stands now that are of better quality. they will literally last forever, probably your whole career. i bought 8 matthews stands from samys in Cali and got a volume discount (cuz i asked for it and used one sales rep for several years of sales including several 1 series canon cameras).

jjlphoto

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:47:12 am »

I've used them all. Mole Richardson, Matthews, American, Norms, you name it. My favorite for knob ergonomics and tightening? Avenger. Not a fan of them for their bases. Too clunky IMO. So I have lots of Avenger C-Arms and Grip Heads. For stands, I have Matthews. And get your stands and arms, etc., in black. Nothing worse than trying to flag out all those speculars in your products from the reflections of a chrome or silver stand.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:47:58 am by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

DanielStone

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 01:06:32 am »

thanks guys!

I'll have to go over to calumet in the next few days and compare them to the matthew. I think that they rent matthew's c-stands, but I can't be sure. I'll be able to do a side-by-side comparison when I go.

re black arms and knuckles:  I definitely hear you there ! I assisted a car photographer, and he had 20 or so black avenger stands, and he got them for that very same purpose! no reason to flag for stands, etc...

thanks for the help though, if anyone has anything to add, please do!

-Dan

Fritzer

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 10:15:54 am »

I'd go for the original stuff; I have some Calumet badged stands, clamps etc., most is slightly different from the Bogen / Avenger version.

Not necessarily worse, but for example I have one Calumet C-stand arm with a diameter slightly larger than the standard - some lamps and clamps don't fit.

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 02:55:18 pm »

I have a couple of the 20" calumet c stands. They are nice for the price, however I like the avengers the best.

gubaguba

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 10:41:40 am »

Quote from: klane
I have a couple of the 20" calumet c stands. They are nice for the price, however I like the avengers the best.
Avengers are nice but are also the heaviest of the bunch.  Hard to go wrong with anything Matthews makes plus they hold their value.  Check out Norms they are reasonably priced and well made.  I personally have about 10 Matthews spring loaded stands.  Got a good deal on them used a year or so ago. I think there is another company American Grip (?) not sure but they make fine stands as well.

craigwashburn

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 08:25:54 pm »

I have a calumet c-stand and several matthews.  The calumet is massive.  I thought it would be the same size as the matthews but it is slightly taller and noticably heavier.  The arm is slightly thicker which makes for a snug fit sometimes.  The grip head also tends to unscrew itself when in transport, which is kind of annoying.

I usually leave the calumet in the studio when going on location due to its weight.  I sometimes do use its extra mass to benefit when extending heavier heads out though.

craigwashburn

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 08:28:38 pm »

also re: black, unless you're transporting them in velvet or never using them they're going to get scratched up quickly and then you end up having to retouch anyway...   there's a reason rental houses don't bother with black stands

DanielStone

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 01:48:36 am »

thanks craig,

I'll be looking further at the matthews, since I'll be using them for years(hopefully ), I might as well spend to get the best I can.

unfortunately, school money is a little thin at the moment, so this purchase will have to wait. thankfully I got a line on $2/each per day for matthews stands for rent. no deposit(former employer ). so for now, that's how I'll get c-stands.

thanks everyone, I appreciate the help!

-Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up