Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new Scotland pictures  (Read 5112 times)

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
new Scotland pictures
« on: November 29, 2009, 12:34:33 pm »

dear all,

Not for the first time we visited Scotland this year, with Orkney as our final destination. On our way to and from I made quite some pictures, which I put on my website today: new portfolios. These are from the Borders, Fife, Ross and Sutherland.

The Caithness and Orkney pictures will follow soon.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:34:59 pm by Wim van Velzen »
I don't have a signature.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
new Scotland pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 03:29:01 pm »

Thanks for sharing your work, Wim.  My grandfather was a Scot, but I haven't been there (yet).  Looks like a beautiful place to be.

This one is my favourite.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Ed Jack

new Scotland pictures
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 01:31:30 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Thanks for sharing your work, Wim.  My grandfather was a Scot, but I haven't been there (yet).  Looks like a beautiful place to be.

This one is my favourite.

Mike.

Nice work, glad to see a Dutch man capable of trudging up mountains with all that MF gear... or did you use a bike  

Have you ever been to Mull ?

Ed

Wim van Velzen

new Scotland pictures
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 01:50:05 pm »

hi Mike and Ed,

thanks for your comments!
Scotland is certainly worth a visit, and Mull especially so (have you been to Staffa and the Treshnish isles as well?). You can find my Mull portfolios on my site here: the Ross of Mull, with links to some other Mull pictures.

As for the mountain trudging - I tend to stay near the car....   But that is of course, because I have to get back to the family before breakfast!

Ed Jack

new Scotland pictures
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 02:56:13 am »

Quote from: Wim van Velzen
hi Mike and Ed,

thanks for your comments!
Scotland is certainly worth a visit, and Mull especially so (have you been to Staffa and the Treshnish isles as well?). You can find my Mull portfolios on my site here: the Ross of Mull, with links to some other Mull pictures.

As for the mountain trudging - I tend to stay near the car....   But that is of course, because I have to get back to the family before breakfast!

Oh yeah, I've just seen thoose images of Mull, unique geology isn't it - and if you like your birds, its a good place to see White tailed eagles!
I went to Staffa, I guess Fingal's cave is a bit of an exposure/DR challenge ? Iona and the monastry must be quite photogenic too (esp in B&W)!
Coll and Tiree and supposed to have some of the best beaches in the world, if not the sun to match ? I have not been to theese though, I speak of their reputation.

Ed
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 09:44:41 am by Ed Jack »

Wim van Velzen

new Scotland pictures
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 03:48:26 am »

I added some more portfolios, from the Caithness area. Rough seas, nice cliffs: Caithness

BTW, on another forum I got the comment that my pictures look a bit oversaturated. What do you think?

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
new Scotland pictures
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 12:43:07 pm »

Quote from: Wim van Velzen
I added some more portfolios, from the Caithness area. Rough seas, nice cliffs: Caithness

BTW, on another forum I got the comment that my pictures look a bit oversaturated. What do you think?

Wim, I have not looked at this most recent gallery, but based upon your previous work (and a calibrated monitor, which I am not using at the moment, thus my lack of comment on this gallery) I think they often do go just a bit over in saturation. I lived in Scotland, and it really is very green, but I think some of the other colors come out in the saturation in a way that isn't necessarily entirely pleasing. What I like best about your work is the sense of quiet, natural moments, and being too saturated can compromise the sense of the real.

I don't want to detract from the quality of your work at all--I really like it, and make sure to look at each new set in full when I read about them here.
-Sean [ we

Wim van Velzen

new Scotland pictures
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 03:47:27 pm »

hi Sean, thanks for your comment.
The problem for me seems to be that I am not (longer) able to view my own work with enough distance (not because I have a 30" screen in a 3' room   ).
What I probably will do is trim the saturation down in some images and show here.

Would it technically be all right to just make an action: open image -> saturation -> -10 points? (the number of points of course depending on taste)
Pages: [1]   Go Up