Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ps 4 can no longer open a saved tif  (Read 3376 times)

Gurglamei

Ps 4 can no longer open a saved tif
« on: November 29, 2009, 11:21:59 am »

I work with Lightroom 3.3 and Photoshop CS4 on windows xp.

I have opened a raw image in LR, made some adjustments and then opened in Photoshop and saved as a tif.  I opended the tif again in Photoshop vi Lightroom and did some more editing and made a "save as" in Photoshop to save as a new file.  I have printed a copy from Lightroom. I have done a few more edits in Photoshop.

Now suddenly if I try to open the file in Photoshop, I get the following message:

"Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"

The file displays fine in Lightroom and I can edit.

If I look at the details of the file in explorer and compare with other tifs, I find that the problem file does not have any dimensions.

Any clues to what has happend?

Christopher

Paul Sumi

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 01:54:40 pm »

I'm trying to eliminate any basic errors, are you certain that you are opening the exact same file in both LR and PS?  Perhaps LR is opening a file in a different physical location (different folder, drive)?

Paul

Gurglamei

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 03:48:44 pm »

Quote from: PaulS
I'm trying to eliminate any basic errors, are you certain that you are opening the exact same file in both LR and PS?  Perhaps LR is opening a file in a different physical location (different folder, drive)?

Paul

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes it is the same file in the same location.

Christopher

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:00:14 pm »

Quote from: Gurglamei
I work with Lightroom 3.3 and Photoshop CS4 on windows xp.

No, you don't...there is no "Lightroom 3.3". There is a LR 3 BETA and there is Lightroom 2.x (if you are running 2.3 you seriously want to update to the current 2.5 if not the RC 2.6).

As for why you can't open the secondary file, could be several reasons starting with a corrupted file. Can you open the first TIFF into Photoshop from Lightroom? Are you absolutely sure that when you did a Save As that you spec'ed saved path and TIFF parameters correctly? The fact that the file is not showing any dimensions kinda indicates a corrupted file.

keithrsmith

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 03:18:34 am »

It could be that you have used TIF rather that TIFF (or the other way round.)

Check the file type associations.

Keith

Gurglamei

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 04:36:38 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
No, you don't...there is no "Lightroom 3.3". There is a LR 3 BETA and there is Lightroom 2.x (if you are running 2.3 you seriously want to update to the current 2.5 if not the RC 2.6).

As for why you can't open the secondary file, could be several reasons starting with a corrupted file. Can you open the first TIFF into Photoshop from Lightroom? Are you absolutely sure that when you did a Save As that you spec'ed saved path and TIFF parameters correctly? The fact that the file is not showing any dimensions kinda indicates a corrupted file.

Thanks for your reply,

Sorry about the typo, I am actually using LR 2.5.  Guess that proves we can not be sure I did things exactly as I remember it.. :~)

No, I can not open the file in photoshop either directly og from LR.  However, I can print it from LR.

No, I am not absolutely sure I did a save as correctly - but I have tried a lot of different save as options and combinations on a test file and not been able to replicate the error.

By the way, I am more curious than desperate to save the file.  I can always make a new one from the raw file.

Christopher

Gurglamei

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 04:38:14 pm »

Quote from: keithrsmith
It could be that you have used TIF rather that TIFF (or the other way round.)

Check the file type associations.

Keith

Thanks for your reply

I only have one "tif" option in the save as dialog box? I am not sure what you mean?

Christopher
Pages: [1]   Go Up