Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Wars  (Read 20276 times)

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Camera Wars
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 10:02:01 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
* Graflex Super D 4x5 and GowlandFlex 4x5 with chimney viewer: Wow. Very nice. Huge GG.

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

DanielStone

Camera Wars
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 11:10:36 am »

* RZ: I never shot a frame with an RZ, but I'd bet it would rank right up there at the top, justifying two asterisks.

they're great. totally addicting . For digital they're terrific as well! GX680'S  are truelly a gem though!

-Dan

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
Camera Wars
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 02:48:44 pm »

Canon AE1...my first camera

Old used and cheap rolleicord in my first year at college...loved it...felt like my first real camera...square, looking down into that great big viewfinder.

Hasselblad 500cm...have had about four over the last 15 years with various lenses...always love going back to these for my fine art work..and am doing so right now.

Ebony 54's for my fine art...nice but keep going back to blads...

Tried a few mamiya 6 and 7's along the way but never got to grips with them...although my best selling photo was shot with one so...

Digital..sorry but I've still not found any digital cameras that do it for me..(tried various canon's and nikon's)...but of course 100% of my commercial work is done with them so no love but can't live without them.

Bessa Rf with 40mm lens loaded with tri-x for my honeymoon in Paris earlier this year...liked that.

Cheers,

Marc
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 03:02:09 pm by marcwilson »
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

gwhitf

Camera Wars
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 06:25:51 pm »

Quote from: marcwilson
Ebony 54's for my fine art...nice but keep going back to blads...

I have had two Ebonys thru the years, but to me, they always fell into that Leica category -- "pretty to look at on the shelf, but not so great to use to actually make photographs". I think, too, like Leica, my brain got tricked into thinking that I liked them more than I really did. In use, I found them awkward, clumsy, and coarse. I always thought it was just me; that maybe I just didn't get it about Ebony. I was also afraid of them -- they were so pretty to look at, I was afraid I'd scratch them, and devalue them. In pure use, I found that my old Linhof Technika III was a much more usable, real world camera -- made of metal, and ready for World War III. I know everyone raves about Ebony, (but maybe it's just because they're high-priced, so you feel compelled to praise them, because you wrote the check?)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 06:27:32 pm by gwhitf »

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Camera Wars
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 08:18:13 pm »

Well since several have mentioned 35mm models, even though this is the "large sensor" thread...I have to say I thought the Canon Elan IIE I used to own was so cool. Just moving my eye to the spot and then it focusing, I couldn't believe it actually worked. I would love to see this in a digital model.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

PeterA

Camera Wars
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 10:23:41 pm »

I love my XPan11 - so flexible and so perfect - but sadly not digital. add a digi chip to this format and a coupel of faster lenses - and I woudlnt want for any other system/ or camera.

psorantin

Camera Wars
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 11:43:44 pm »

Started out with a Canon D30 - my first SLR; was very cool.
Upgraded to original 1D for more robust feature set.

Discovered film, purchased a Mamiya7 - still love that camera. Quiet, high-quality files, the 43mm lens is fantastic. Still considering to add lenses, the system is so good.

Added a Leica M7 and 35-lux.
Added a Leica M8 for best combination of quality and compactness in digital; added several lenses, love-and-hate the 75-lux; love the 50-lux and 28-cron. The M8 is a great camera. Love the combination of high-quality low-ISO files, and rough ISO-1250 shots, particularly in b/w, I shoot a lot of ISO-1250 during the day with a 3-fstop filter on lenses. No need for vaseline etc., the files have character. My Leicas were in whitewater canyons in Austria, in the Costa Rica rain forest etc. I shoot studio work with them too, pocketwizard/profoto and go...

Sold the Canon 1D, and bought a 5D; added a 5DII as backup body. Have lots of L glass, the best is the 70-200mm/f2.8, all is fine, but the cameras have no sexiness. Opposite of the Leicas.

Added a R9 and DMR last year; fantastic color via C1, but camera is finicky. Handling is superb. Focus is tough in low light, viewfinder is really great. If I could have just that system with full frame sensor...

Bought a Hassy503cw, added a Leaf Aptus-17; best lens is the 120mm/macro, that one is amazing.
--

My camera zoo is not only for making images, it is also for enjoying the *process* of image making. That is something I recognized after my third model or so...

Peter
Peter Sorantin
New Jersey

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Camera Wars
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 11:58:22 pm »

I have had two Ebonys thru the years, but to me, they always fell into that Leica category -- ... I know everyone raves about Ebony, (but maybe it's just because they're high-priced, so you feel compelled to praise them, because you wrote the check?)

Hum... interesting, I have already had outstanding results with my Ebony 45SU in the field and have found the non folding design to be brilliant, together with the assymetric rear movements that really speed up focus.

I have used it in all weathers and carried it in my Osprey backpack without any problem. They are really robust.

It is the camera I think I will never sell.

Cheers,
Bernard

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
Camera Wars
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 12:52:42 am »

Had about a dozen Plaubel Makina 67's, 670's and w67's all through the 90's until about 2004 - very special cameras.

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
Camera Wars
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 07:47:13 am »

I know everyone raves about Ebony, (but maybe it's just because they're high-priced, so you feel compelled to praise them, because you wrote the check?)

Far from it the ebony I had was a great camera for what I used which was landscape with moderate architectural movements. Light, solid, smooth, quick set up, etc, etc. Why I'd feel compelled to like something just because it cost x amount I would never know. If something works you use it..if it doesn't...well you get something else.

Marc
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
Camera Wars
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 02:55:02 pm »

Quote from: KLaban
My passion as an image maker is just that, a passion for images, not cameras. Having said that, the following cameras have been a part of the journey.

I don't care about images, there are too many of them anyway......

But cameras, this is why I am in this business:

My best camera to date:     leica m6 with a 35 cron 4th
closely followed by             leica m9 with a 35cron asph
nowadays I am not touching film anymore, so the M9 will move to the top after a few more months of use.
best film SLR: pentax MX. tiny, undestructable, a viewfinder which gives any modern fullframe DSLR a beating.
best film nearly compact: black Hexar AF. image quality like m6/cron, easy to use
best film really compact: olympus XA, great lens, manual focus, tinissimo
best MF camera: Mamiya RZ. a pain to work handheld for a long day, but beautiful results, very reliable
best digi compact: Ricoh GR-D 3, like it a lot, perfect handling
best DSLR: canon 1dsmk3. It is unsexy, but that thing just works, maybe there are better files out there, but mine just keeps on filling my bank account. It earned its cost within a week and hasn't given me one single hitch in two years of use.

Cameras I really hated:

Leaf AFI: bad ergonomics, bad metering, bad AF, bad everything, a 20.000€ bad joke
canon G9: had it for a few months, I don't think I got one decent pictures out of thousands I took with it
nearly all Canon EOS film cameras before digital other than the 1 series, Nikon ruled film.

So currently I am a very happy bunny with my M9, it next contender will have to work hard
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Khun_K

• http://
Camera Wars
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 09:36:34 am »

Contax RTSII/III, really, really missed them.
Contax G2
Contax T2/T3
Leica M6/M7
Contax 645 was with film and now digital
Contax TV-S
Canon 1Ds 1/11/111

can't say or miss enough Contax.

Regards, K

Andy M

• http://
Camera Wars
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 10:12:54 am »

Canon 20D
Canon 5D
Hasselblad 503CW
Canon 1Ds Mark III
Panasonic GF1 (+20mm f1.7 Pancake)

michele

Camera Wars
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2009, 11:38:11 am »

I'm 25... i'm in the business since 2 years... never did a job with film but i really miss the school years when i used to think about exposure. i think i have learned all the things i know about light thanks to the film. i had to think with my sekonic in the hand and of course no chance to mistakes, i actually understood the quality of the light, the intensity... now with digital, you don't think, just look to the histogram...
By the way i miss the 4x5 ground glass of the sinar

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
Camera Wars
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2009, 01:03:22 pm »

Of the cameras I have used, and there have been a few, the one I really liked the best was the Zeiss-Ikon Contaflex Super BC.  In fact, I still have it.  It was a good camera system for that time, had 50mm, 35mm and 135mm lenses.  Had the coolest fitted case ever made, and even had interchangeable film backs.  I really loved that camera!

LiamStrain

• http://www.streetlevel-photography.com
Camera Wars
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2009, 01:31:21 pm »

Large format - my old Wisner 4x5 field camera still is magical. Gorgeous wood and burgundy leather. Sure it doesn't lock up as tight as a monorail, and can't focus with anything wider than a 65, but it's a great camera, and has been since I got it in 1994.

My Horseman VHR is similarly great. 6x7, 6x9 and 4x5 in a compact, well built body with an optional rangefinder. It has its limitations, for sure. But I do love it.

And my Leica M4-2 (and Canon RF lenses) is still the camera I have that sees the most daily use - albeit non of my professional use. My rolleiflex is the same way - I love to use it. But have almost no need for it professionally - but if asked, I think these are the two cameras I would keep first. Then the Wisner behind it.

lisa_r

Camera Wars
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2009, 02:00:44 pm »

You guys wanting things to look organic and reminiscing about flare should stop buying new lenses ;-) The older Canons are pretty good at flareing. (This is the older Canon 50mm 1.8 metal mount. It flares as much as you could possibly want when pointed into the sun.)

[attachment=18606:IMGL9113.jpg]
[attachment=18607:IMG_3299.jpg]

It's difficult to get the 1.2 to flare this much. So it's nice to keep them both in the bag.

Hoang

• http://www.hxpham.com
Camera Wars
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2009, 02:03:10 pm »

Quote from: LiamStrain
Large format - my old Wisner 4x5 field camera still is magical. Gorgeous wood and burgundy leather. Sure it doesn't lock up as tight as a monorail, and can't focus with anything wider than a 65, but it's a great camera, and has been since I got it in 1994.

My Horseman VHR is similarly great. 6x7, 6x9 and 4x5 in a compact, well built body with an optional rangefinder. It has its limitations, for sure. But I do love it.

And my Leica M4-2 (and Canon RF lenses) is still the camera I have that sees the most daily use - albeit non of my professional use. My rolleiflex is the same way - I love to use it. But have almost no need for it professionally - but if asked, I think these are the two cameras I would keep first. Then the Wisner behind it.
1st- Canon Powershot G5, my first camera. What can I say, I got it a few days before going on a trip to Yosemite.. and that's what started it all.  
2nd- Canon EOS 20D, my second camera and first DSLR. I used it for about 6 years.. and it has been through a lot; it has been to the canon irvine repair center a few times. I'm planning to replace the shutter button, so that I can use it as a beater, bring around everywhere camera. It's already pretty beat up though, there are scratches everywhere, the shutter button is worn out (it doesn't always shoot), the battery door is held closed by tape, the CF cover is squeaky (granted, it's like that on all non 1 series canon cameras, even when new  ).
3rd- used Canon 1Ds Mark III, it's a tank. Even though it seems like Canon still hasn't gotten a real photographer to test the user interface of their cameras before releasing them, it's quite an improvement. It's pretty solid and the files can be pushed around pretty hard in LR and PS. Like others have said, there is nothing cool or hip about it but it just works like a reliable TOOL.

gwhitf

Camera Wars
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2009, 02:11:06 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
You guys wanting things to look organic and reminiscing about flare should stop buying new lenses ;-)

You might be right, but Flared Digital is still a very far cry from Flared Film. Even with Noise/Grain added. Sad, but true. Still can't really figure out why. Yes, the word organic comes to mind.

lisa_r

Camera Wars
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2009, 02:15:29 pm »

You might be right, but Flared Digital is still a very far cry from Flared Film. Even with Noise/Grain added. Sad, but true. Still can't really figure out why. Yes, the word organic comes to mind.

Really? I look at my flared film and it is not better or more organic-looking than what I just posted, other than the film grain of course.

A couple more cheap and old Canon lenses flaring:
[attachment=18609:IMG_0242.jpg]
[attachment=18610:flare.jpg]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:28:53 pm by lisa_r »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up