Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Aperture okay.  (Read 2774 times)

bradf

Is Aperture okay.
« on: November 27, 2009, 06:34:01 pm »

Hello again.
This time beginner is looking for advice re software for storage and processing of photos.
My son has put Aperture 2.1.4 on my (fast) Macbook Pro and so I'm thinking thats a logical thing for me to learn. I'd rather become proficient at one program than scratchy at a couple.
I know from searching thru this site that other apps enjoy greater support.
Thanking you for your comments.
Cheers,
bradf

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Is Aperture okay.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 09:42:57 pm »

Aperture is fine, sure, though you'll likely want Photoshop for pixel editing that can't be accomplished in a raw processor. Not immediately, but eventually.

My daughter is a total beginner, and she downloaded Lightroom (at my suggestion) and figured it out pretty quickly. It's a 30 day free trial. That would be my preference (though I don't use LR personally, preferring my current workflow that uses several different applications.)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

JBerardi

Is Aperture okay.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 10:48:37 pm »

Aperture is certainly a fine choice; I'd recommend you try Lightroom as well. A case could be made for Photoshop because it can do basically anything, however it would be difficult to overstate how much harder it is to learn than Aperture/LR.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Is Aperture okay.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 04:16:44 am »

Certainly try Lightroom. If you just want to use one program, you can do more image editing with Lightroom than with Aperture - eg local dodging and burning, gradient adjustment, split toning. You'll find a lot more learning resources on LR, and more people able to help you when you need. Aperture 2 also hasn't been updated for a while.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up