Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CA coast photography  (Read 4273 times)

Dan Sroka

• http://www.danielsroka.com
CA coast photography
« on: February 27, 2004, 07:19:27 pm »

Either is great, depending of course on what you want to shoot. Big Sur has amazing land/sea scapes. Plus there are tons of little beaches for you to stop at, and explore the tidal pools, look up at the cliffs, etc.

I recommend this site for great information on it. He breaks down the trip, showcasing interesting sites by mile marker (the most convenient way to know where you are on Rte. 1). Be sure to check his description of how to read the mile markers -- it makes a huge differnce.

Don't drive Rte. 1 at night if you are trying to find anything. It is a wild windy road, and if it gets foggy, it can be a rollercoaster.

Point Reyes is also beautiful, but realize that it is at least an hour north of San Francisco, making it 3 hours north of the most norther tip of Big Sur (Carmel), in easy traffic. With traffic, add another hour or two.

Eric

CA coast photography
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 06:32:04 pm »

just drove up the coast from LA to SF.  a wonderful place is Point Lobos national reserve, just south of Monterey.  many viewpoints to do macro and/or seascape photography.

inside the reserve is a great shot of a cypress hanging on, barely, to the side of a cliff.  it's called the old general cypress.  you can find it on the trailhead map they give you.

also, i found a spot called pacific valley.  you can walk down the trail that starts at Hwy 1 and it has a lot of jagged rocks.

pretty

www.carlsonlandscapes.com

magyar

CA coast photography
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 06:19:45 pm »

Hello,

Hi there,

I'll be in CA on business in mid-March and I'll be doing a drive from LA up to the Bay area, and I thought it would be a good
chance to get some good seascape practice. The two places I was thinking about were the Big Sur area between San Simion & Monterey, and the Pt Reyes area north of SF. Should I consider somewhere else? I'll have about 1 day to spend in whatever area I choose.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

--Imre

Bobtrips

CA coast photography
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 03:09:24 am »

I'd suggest that you spend your time along the Big Sur stretch.  I think you'll find more spectacular views.

If you haven't spent any time in the redwoods, turn inland on Palo Colorado (just a few miles below Carmel) and drive back through the canyon.

magyar

CA coast photography
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 02:30:35 pm »

I guess Big Sur it is.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Pages: [1]   Go Up