Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Driver, Firmware, and Printer Utility  (Read 1591 times)

Richard S

Z3100 Driver, Firmware, and Printer Utility
« on: November 27, 2009, 12:14:30 pm »

Hi Everyone,

I have a Z3100 that hasn't been used in a while.  The last time I dealt with drivers, firmware, and the printer utility was in March of this year.  I got on the HP site and noticed all of these have been updated.  The printer is currently working fine with the exception of outdated printer profiles for the various paper I use.

In the past, Ive seen posts where some people wished that they hadn't upgraded all of these files and ended up rolling back to a previous file.  I am running Windows Vista 64 bit.  I would really appreciate your input on whether or not to upgrade all of these files or leave things the way they are.

Lastly, any information on just updating profiles without having to start with defining a paper preset etc. would be very much appreciated.  The current Color Center software can be a bit confusing.

Thanks very much,
Richard

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 12:38:08 pm »

Quote from: Richard S
Hi Everyone,

I have a Z3100 that hasn't been used in a while.  The last time I dealt with drivers, firmware, and the printer utility was in March of this year.  I got on the HP site and noticed all of these have been updated.  The printer is currently working fine with the exception of outdated printer profiles for the various paper I use.

In the past, Ive seen posts where some people wished that they hadn't upgraded all of these files and ended up rolling back to a previous file.  I am running Windows Vista 64 bit.  I would really appreciate your input on whether or not to upgrade all of these files or leave things the way they are.

Lastly, any information on just updating profiles without having to start with defining a paper preset etc. would be very much appreciated.  The current Color Center software can be a bit confusing.

Thanks very much,
Richard

Seeing as how the Z3100 is an older printer, if you have your system 'dialed in' and it's giving you reliably good results, I don't see the benefit of updating to a newer driver version. Early on in its life cycle some of the driver/utility updates improved color rendition, but I believe the last couple of updates were minor tweaks. I'm using a driver/utility about one version back, and see no compelling reason to tempt fate by updating it.

If you already have a profile and preset defined for a specific paper, all you have to do is re-calibrate it periodically to keep the color dialed in.

Richard S

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 12:48:24 pm »

Thanks very much Geoff.  "If it aint broke, don't fix it" may be the way to go.

To re-calibrate the paper I believe I go to Color Center, choose Paper Preset Management, choose Calibrate Paper, choose paper type, load the paper, and go.  Is that correct?  Forgive me for what might sound like a dumb question but I just don't want to blow it.

Thanks,
Richard
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:49:17 pm by Richard S »

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 03:52:59 pm »

To re-calibrate the paper I believe I go to Color Center, choose Paper Preset Management, choose Calibrate Paper, choose paper type, load the paper, and go.  Is that correct?  Forgive me for what might sound like a dumb question but I just don't want to blow it.

Thanks,
Richard

Not a dumb question at all. I'm at my office and the printer is at home, so I can't actually remember precisely how it goes! That sounds about right.

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:10:30 pm »

Thanks,
Richard

Yes, you have the correct sequence.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up