Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you pack your gear?  (Read 5653 times)

Jozef Zajaz

How do you pack your gear?
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 05:51:36 am »

Quote from: andershald
I have a great little tip if you fly with lots of equipment: I pack all my lightstands, tripod, sunbounces and other tall heavy stuff in a $100 golf travel bag. When buying a ticket online I tick 'Golf Bag' and pay a small fee to bring it on as sportsequipment, instead of paying over weight charges for it. It doesn't actually say anywhere that the bag must contain golf clubs, and nobody has ever checked. Another advangtage is that the golf travel bag has wheels and can be rolled around.

Cameras and flasheads go in Peli and Think Tank cases.

Lol great tips!

Will do this next time i travel.

CBarrett

How do you pack your gear?
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 09:24:23 am »

Quote from: GBPhoto
Chris,

Who makes those card clamp thingies in the front right of your case - or are they custom?  I'm looking for something less annoying/bulky than the usual spring clamps.

Thanks

The card clamps are all custom.  I think they used to be commercially available years ago.  You start with a basic 5/8 mount with ball joint, then have the clamp part machined out of aluminum.  Not cheap, but indispensable.

As for air travel... I stick to American and United, tell them at the counter that it's all photo gear ("Media Rate" being the keywords) and it's $50/bag.  If they dig in the computer it also says "no weight restrictions."  Years ago this discount used to be limited to the Major Network's film crews but they have given it to me as long as I've been flying.  Sometimes the agent will have to go and check with an agent who actually know's where to look this up in the computer.

Once I was coming back from D.C and I told the agent I would be checking 12 bags, and the newish guy looked flustered and just said "uh, that's too many."  What do you mean too many?  I have credit card.  There is no "too many."  Overall I'm pretty thankful that my work all became much more regional over the last 6 years.  I'll drive 8 hours before I'll get on a plane.

-CB
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up