Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you pack your gear?  (Read 5652 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
How do you pack your gear?
« on: November 27, 2009, 09:32:30 am »

Packing gear, protecting it transporting it is a huge part of location photography. I'm rethinking my entire process.

Currently I have some ancient Lightwares cases for my camera's, monolights and stands.  Those are working great.  For my hotlihgts I have the standard issue hard cases from LTM, Mole and Lowell.  I hate hard cases!  They work, but well they are hard when they bang against you when you carry them.  WHat are the better options?

What about tubs?  I carry lots of grip stuff, cords and loads of props in your standard Rubbermaid tubs.  Is there a better choice?

Anyways I thought this might be a great extention to the current discussons on archectitural photography. (one of the best in years here on LL IMO)
Craig Lamson Photo

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 09:58:38 am »

Right now I have been carrying my lights separate on a small cart (except for the strobes, they are in cases) but I have been thinking of getting a few Gator Cases for my lights and a Rock n' Roller cart, which look great for car travel.  Not that I am at this point yet, but I do not think that they would stand up to air travel, I am thinking you would just need to get hard cases for that?  

Also, what is the norm when traveling by air, do you bring all of your lights with you on the plane?  Or do you rent when you get there?  I find that renting fresnel lights is almost impossible do to no selection at places that rent, but it must be pretty expensive to bring the lights with you on the plane.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Craig Lamson

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 10:05:35 am »

Quote from: JoeKitchen
Right now I have been carrying my lights separate on a small cart (except for the strobes, they are in cases) but I have been thinking of getting a few Gator Cases for my lights and a Rock n' Roller cart, which look great for car travel.  Not that I am at this point yet, but I do not think that they would stand up to air travel, I am thinking you would just need to get hard cases for that?  

Also, what is the norm when traveling by air, do you bring all of your lights with you on the plane?  Or do you rent when you get there?  I find that renting fresnel lights is almost impossible do to no selection at places that rent, but it must be pretty expensive to bring the lights with you on the plane.

I just bought the rock&roller R8 nad its pretty nice...not magliner nice...but ti will be a great workhorse and it will fit in the van. And its priced rihgt.

Gator cases...need to look those up.

I mostly drive to locations but I have shipped fed ex or ups instead of taking big stuff on the plane.  I'm not a big fan of rentals, I know my stuff and would prefer to use it.

Craig Lamson Photo

CBarrett

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 10:45:38 am »

All Lightware and Pelican, all flyable and nothing over 50lbs.  I take everything everytime, almost never rent anything.

3 of these Pelicans... Inky Case (x9), Omni Case (x8) and Grip
Strobe case (5 monoblocks)
Tripod Case
Short Stand Case (15 8 footers)
2 of these for Tall Stands, Silks, Diffusion Panels

Everything fits in the Element and on the Cart (Film Tools Jr.) and gives me enough lighting for about any situation.  Still, every once in a while I wish I had become a writer... then all I'd have to carry would be a laptop.

-C

Craig Lamson

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 11:16:28 am »

Quote from: CBarrett
All Lightware and Pelican, all flyable and nothing over 50lbs.  I take everything everytime, almost never rent anything.

3 of these Pelicans... Inky Case (x9), Omni Case (x8) and Grip
Strobe case (5 monoblocks)
Tripod Case
Short Stand Case (15 8 footers)
2 of these for Tall Stands, Silks, Diffusion Panels

Everything fits in the Element and on the Cart (Film Tools Jr.) and gives me enough lighting for about any situation.  Still, every once in a while I wish I had become a writer... then all I'd have to carry would be a laptop.

-C

Do you use the  foam in the Pelicans or something else for the lights?
Craig Lamson Photo

CBarrett

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 11:29:00 am »

Quote from: infocusinc
Do you use the  foam in the Pelicans or something else for the lights?

Nah, that pluck out foam disintegrates and gets into everything.  I went with the padded dividers, but really only use the long ones to create bays that the lights nest in.  I'll do some quick shots after breakfast.

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 11:34:59 am »

Lightware cases and temba backpacks also I use autoploes with the legs to get my lights up high, for these I use ski bags (the biggest) and when I fly I wrap the the fragile parts of the poles in my 12X silks. LL bean makes nice rolling duffles that I use for cables, tape & clamps. No individual item should weigh over 50 pounds. I also use the rock & roller to move everything around although I have never flown with it...

rquindry

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 12:15:33 pm »

I just bought this case for a shoot next week that I have to fly to. I'm taking minimal equipment - plan to shoot mostly available light (large factory). I am planning on putting 3 light stands with my tripod in this case - what do you use to protect everything from getting scratched up?

Have you ever had anything stolen from your bags? Here in Philadelphia, items have a way of disappearing from cases in airline luggage handling.

Rich Quindry

Tripod Case

-C

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 12:34:31 pm »

Quote from: rquindry
I just bought this case for a shoot next week that I have to fly to. I'm taking minimal equipment - plan to shoot mostly available light (large factory). I am planning on putting 3 light stands with my tripod in this case - what do you use to protect everything from getting scratched up?

Have you ever had anything stolen from your bags? Here in Philadelphia, items have a way of disappearing from cases in airline luggage handling.

Rich Quindry

In my opinion you would be much better off pre-shipping your equipment Fedex or UPS and picking up at the destination terminal.  I don't even trust clients to receive my gear.  May add an extra day or 1/2 day to your trip but giving the airlines access to your gear is just asking for trouble.

rquindry

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 12:47:32 pm »

With Lightware Bags - do you put them inside a cardboard box to disguise them??

RIch Quindry

Quote from: gdwhalen
In my opinion you would be much better off pre-shipping your equipment Fedex or UPS and picking up at the destination terminal.  I don't even trust clients to receive my gear.  May add an extra day or 1/2 day to your trip but giving the airlines access to your gear is just asking for trouble.

bcooter

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 02:09:50 pm »

Quote from: gdwhalen

There is no doubt that moving equipment by air gets harder and harder and there is no secret, magic way to do it, other than preparation.

First I suggest getting a press card as depending on carrier you get 100lbs vs. 50lbs per case.  Not all carriers recognize this, (continental out of JFK) but most will (American).

In europe it's just a crap shoot but flying from the states, it's much better to go non stop than transfer even if the airfare is higher.  

The one bad experience I've had is flying to Charles DeGaulle and transferring on Air France to Barcelona.  A work slowdown (strike) kept our equipment on the ground in Paris for 4 days.  On return we drove from Barcelona to Paris to avoid the strike.

The one and only bad experience I've had with Fedex is one of our crew did not mark a case properly and the shipping label was not attached well, though we did finally get the case returned.

Given my choice I'd rather have my own equipment as we know it, it's paid for so the rental fees are mine and I can rely on it.

If the schedule permits and we're traveling domestically we ship to the hotel or production company/studio be Fedex ground  This can save a lot and is just as reliable as standard Fedex.

If your shooting location only then find hotels that are production friendly.  Obviously motel 6 won't be high on the list, but most hotels that cater to business are use to large shipments coming their way.

Even when we have the time luxury to ship early,  cameras and a few essential lights/grip go with us on the plane so if anything goes wrong in shipping we can start the project or the casting.

I like cases filled to the max and heavy because I have a theory that big heavy stuff is a lot more difficult to steal than small light stuff.

In cities we are not based in I usually hire a gaffer who owns his own equipment and truck, if the project requires large grip like rollers, highboys, 12x frames, generators, etc.  A independent gaffer will probably be the same price as
rolling your own using rental companies and gaffers that work in the cinema world are use to giving out detailed estimates that they will live to.

The also know their equipment have a reliable group of grips and swings for crew and know the area they're based in.  A great gaffer can save you days of work, many hours in the day on production.

Even with a gaffer, prior to traveling we set up accounts with the rental companies, have maps to their locations and personal contacts.  We always ask for cell phones so if we need something after hours.

We also prepare and file a carnet for long tours and the more prepared and official your are the easier it is.  Most countries are fine with equipment because they know production brings money to their country, though some aren't.

Of all the places we work, the most difficult going in are Canada (almost impossible for an American without hiring a Canadian national that goes with you), Brazil and Moscow.  Leaving the most difficult is South Korea and Moscow.  The most unorganized is Italy.

I dig Moscow but everything is on slow motion, everything requires huge volumes of paperwork and bureaucracy.

The very easiest is Hong Kong. It's like come on in, spend some money, have some fun, see ya later. It's as easy as going NY to LA.  In my experience Hong Kong is the best, very production friendly and they even repaired one of my  1ds3's  in 3 hours.

The gaffer we work with in Hong Kong is the best in the world, the crew the hardest working and the most fun.

But the only rule of the road* is prepare for the worst, pray for the best and be backed up on everything.

*(at least the only rule I can mention on an open forum).

BC

CBarrett

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 04:25:46 pm »

Rich,

I carry 4 pieces of black flanel about 3'x6' that I often use to cover smaller reflections or block out small windows if necessary.  These serve double duty wrapping my tripods so they don't get too banged up.  As for the bulk of my lightstands, the 8' Calumet stands just get thrown in the case and they seem to weather travel just fine.

I carry on camera, lenses, computer, etc... the rest of the gear I have always checked as baggage.  In 15 years and a few hundred thousand miles I've never had anything lost or stolen.  I may just be lucky.  I never do connecting flights and tend to stick to American and United.

For international work, which I do little of, I agree a Carnét makes life so much easier.

The inkie case has padded dividers creating 3 rows...

The omnis... 2 bays and pocket lid kit...

Misc Crap...

Strobe case....need to figure out padding between heads.

Yadda yadda ya.

bcooter

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 04:49:17 pm »

Yadda yadda ya.

CB, you sure got some clean stingers.

This is my road, depending on gig.

[attachment=18223:road1.jpg]

Before shipping Fedex, or putting on the weigh scale at the airport we take an iphone shot of each case, with each shipping label.

A lot eaiser (and more proof) what we actually shipped and a whole lot easier to remember.

Before getting on a plane I write in sharpie on my palm how many cases, it's always something like 10-4 which is ten checked, 4 carry on.

If it's on my hand I can't loose it.

BC

Craig Lamson

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 07:26:45 pm »

Rich,

I carry 4 pieces of black flanel about 3'x6' that I often use to cover smaller reflections or block out small windows if necessary.  These serve double duty wrapping my tripods so they don't get too banged up.  As for the bulk of my lightstands, the 8' Calumet stands just get thrown in the case and they seem to weather travel just fine.

I carry on camera, lenses, computer, etc... the rest of the gear I have always checked as baggage.  In 15 years and a few hundred thousand miles I've never had anything lost or stolen.  I may just be lucky.  I never do connecting flights and tend to stick to American and United.

For international work, which I do little of, I agree a Carnét makes life so much easier.

The inkie case has padded dividers creating 3 rows...

The omnis... 2 bays and pocket lid kit...

Misc Crap...

Strobe case....need to figure out padding between heads.

Yadda yadda ya.

Thanks for the photos Chris.  Dividers are simple to make, doing some today to refit a Lightware 1017.  Corrugated plastic from the local sign shop ( scraps) 5 bucks. Foam backed black tircot fabic from Joanns, 15 bucks.  Self stick HD velco and spray adhesive from the workshop, free...not having to order something from B&H...priceless.
Craig Lamson Photo

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 09:57:34 pm »

Man, you guys have some big production stuff you haul around. Wow.

Me: cameras and lenses in a Think Tank Airport International. I can get three bodies and 8 or 9 lenses in that thing. Computer and miscellaneous gear in a shoulder bag. Both carried on. My 5-light speedlight kit fits in the smallest rollaboard Pelican case (1514?). Tripod and maybe a couple of taller stands go in a rolling duffel that has my clothing and other personal junk. The lights and the duffel are checked.

I like to use my Think Tank belt pack and pouches to pack my gear inside the rolling camera bag. Then I can use the belt system while I'm working, if I want to.

If I really need to travel light, I can fit 2 bodies and three lenses in my old LowePro Stealth AW bag, along with a small speedlight kit. Computer in the shoulder bag. Clothes divided between the two bags, everything carried on.

Needless to say, I'm not shooting big production architectural jobs with this, but it works for me. Love the TTP roller.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Abdulrahman Aljabri

• http://www.aljabri.com
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 12:16:20 am »

anyone using the photofelx transpacs? they seem to be best value for the money.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...3512&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...2969&is=REG

MY SITE: AL

mattlap2

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 08:19:23 am »

Quote from:  Abdulrahman Aljabri
anyone using the photofelx transpacs? they seem to be best value for the money.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...3512&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...2969&is=REG

My experience is that the Photoflex cases are not very well made and don't hold up over the long term.   They are a good deal, but cases are one area I don't recommend skimping on.    Another case might be double or more ....but will last 5 x as long.

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 08:40:38 am »

Quote from: k bennett
Man, you guys have some big production stuff you haul around. Wow.

indeed!

my gear

local work
1 billingham bag
35mm+ 50-110mm lens
camrea body
gitzo carbon tripod
charger + extra battery

out of town
same as above
1 in flight  pelican case
laptop

sometimes with - sometimes without
pelican case with  elinchrom ranger with two heads
d3 + couple of lenses
metz flash

stevesanacore

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 12:39:51 am »

Quote from: infocusinc
Packing gear, protecting it transporting it is a huge part of location photography. I'm rethinking my entire process.

Currently I have some ancient Lightwares cases for my camera's, monolights and stands.  Those are working great.  For my hotlihgts I have the standard issue hard cases from LTM, Mole and Lowell.  I hate hard cases!  They work, but well they are hard when they bang against you when you carry them.  WHat are the better options?

What about tubs?  I carry lots of grip stuff, cords and loads of props in your standard Rubbermaid tubs.  Is there a better choice?

Anyways I thought this might be a great extention to the current discussons on archectitural photography. (one of the best in years here on LL IMO)

Lightware for all my strobes, they are the best for delicate gear. Pelican, with dividers, for all other more rugged gear. I think the Pelican's transfer more shock to the contents than the Lightware cases do. Stands and tripods in hard fiber tube cases. Cameras always go as carry on, in Think Tank back packs and rolling cases.  The airlines will do their best to crush everything but this combination seems to work best for me. Backups for everything and insurance are also a must! I also use FEDEX ground for domestic trips whenever possible. Half the price of checked baggage and no hassles at the airport.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:45:15 am by stevesanacore »
We don't know what we don't know.

andershald

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 04:07:53 am »

I have a great little tip if you fly with lots of equipment: I pack all my lightstands, tripod, sunbounces and other tall heavy stuff in a $100 golf travel bag. When buying a ticket online I tick 'Golf Bag' and pay a small fee to bring it on as sportsequipment, instead of paying over weight charges for it. It doesn't actually say anywhere that the bag must contain golf clubs, and nobody has ever checked. Another advangtage is that the golf travel bag has wheels and can be rolled around.

Cameras and flasheads go in Peli and Think Tank cases.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up