Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Process version question  (Read 1430 times)

jljonathan

Process version question
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:45:27 am »

I have just started using LR 3 and imported many previous files which had been run through ACR. Now that I have them in LR, I get the triangle in the develop module giving me the option to change process version. Should this always be done to these images in order to take advantage of LR 3's improvements? And if so, can it be run as a batch?
Thanks
Jonathan

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
Process version question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 01:23:57 pm »

Quote from: jljonathan
Should this always be done to these images in order to take advantage of LR 3's improvements?

Only if you want those improvements.  Perhaps you like the way a particular image looked with the old processing (I haven't seen an example, but it could happen), perhaps you need for some other reason to perfectly match a result you got before.  Perhaps you want to get a result today and you want to use some luminance noise reduction.  There are, I'm sure, a lot of reasons why someone might concievably want to stay at an old process version, but for the most part, for most photographers, I expect they're the exception, not the rule.

I don't know of a way of directly doing that as a batch process, but I haven't looked.  You could, I suppose, remove these images from LR and then reimport them fresh, losing all your changes but immediately being set to the newer process version, but....

--Joe
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Process version question
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 02:48:28 pm »

I haven't found a way to do this as a batch process, but removing them from the catalogue and re-importing them won't necessarily work.  I'm still using LR 2.6 as my main Lightroom editor, but I've also been playing with LR 3.  Because of the meta data associated with each file, when I import a file I've worked on in LR 2 into LR 3, it automatically comes in with the develop features already applied.  The only way to get a 'blank slate' so to speak would be to create a new folder, copy the images to that folder and then re-import them from there.  I tried that for a while, but it was essentially doubling the amount of drive space used.  And yes, a batch feature would be nice!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

jljonathan

Process version question
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 03:42:24 pm »

Thanks for the reply and information. Someone on another board suggested displaying all images in library, selecting all and then right click-develop settings to upgrade them all to new process version. I haven't done it yet, but it is there in the menu. I really don't have any images that I wouldn't want to use the new version, so I guess I will do it this way.
Jonathan
Pages: [1]   Go Up