Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 32 bit CS4 on windows 7 64 bit  (Read 4722 times)

keithrsmith

32 bit CS4 on windows 7 64 bit
« on: November 26, 2009, 06:12:27 am »

Has anyone seen this problem?
on X86 CS4, running on Win 7 64 bit, the display is not updating correctly.  If I have a layer and turn it off , the display does not update unless I zoom in/out.

The layer icon goes to a checkerdoard if I paint on the layer.

The 64 bit CS4 works perfectly.

Latest Nvidia driver installed.

Keith

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:21:40 am »

Quote from: keithrsmith
Has anyone seen this problem?
on X86 CS4, running on Win 7 64 bit, the display is not updating correctly.  If I have a layer and turn it off , the display does not update unless I zoom in/out.

The layer icon goes to a checkerdoard if I paint on the layer.

The 64 bit CS4 works perfectly.

Latest Nvidia driver installed.

Keith

I haven't seen this, because I don't own a 64-bit capable computer, but I have been thinking of buying one and I asked a knowledgeable colleague about the compatibility of 32-bit applications on a 64-bit machine. His reply was this:

<<Running some 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS could actually be slower. The additional overheads in running 32 bit software in 64 bit mode could cause a slight degradation in performance. It will take some time for 64 bit software to become the norm.>>

So you may be seeing the speed hit, plus other issues (I don't know ther details of) running a program compiled for 32 bit in 64 bit architecture.

Moral of the story: hardware and software need to be made for eachother; if they aren't, sometimes one is lucky with piecemeal up-grades, other times the strategy needs to be more comprehensive (and I guess that means more expensive too!). I'm interested to hear what the computer-savvy in this crowd have to say about this issue, as it will be helpful to me in crafting my up-grade strategy going-forward.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

keithrsmith

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 09:58:00 am »

It would not be a problem except that most of the plugin's only work on the 32 bit version at the moment.  That was the only reason I went to use the 32 bit version having been running win 7 64 bit for a couple of weeks now

>eith

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 10:17:00 am »

Keith, just to understand: when you say "it would not be a problem" - what you mean is that running PSCS4 64-bit version on Win 7 64 bit OS/hardware is fine - as one would expect, but only when you switch to the 32 bit version of PSCS4 to be able to use the plugins in your 64-bit O/S the problem arises? In this case, one can only conclude that the switch to 64 bit Windows may be a bit premature if one wants full functionality of the plugins - as I would. Is it possible in Windows 7 to revert to something like "virtual XP-32 bit". If so, that would likely solve the problem but probably take you back to the 3 GB RAM limitation.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

keithrsmith

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 10:36:36 am »

Quote from: MarkDS
Keith, just to understand: when you say "it would not be a problem" - what you mean is that running PSCS4 64-bit version on Win 7 64 bit OS/hardware is fine - as one would expect, but only when you switch to the 32 bit version of PSCS4 to be able to use the plugins in your 64-bit O/S the problem arises? In this case, one can only conclude that the switch to 64 bit Windows may be a bit premature if one wants full functionality of the plugins - as I would. Is it possible in Windows 7 to revert to something like "virtual XP-32 bit". If so, that would likely solve the problem but probably take you back to the 3 GB RAM limitation.

Correct. 64 bit CS4 work fine on 64 bit Win 7.    I am fairly sure that I had 32 bit CS4 working fine at one point, but something has gone wrong - still checking

I am fairly sure it's a video driver issue.

Found it.

I had installed some NIK plugin's.  Deinstalling these fixed the problem.  These may have been old version, so I will try the latest.

Keith
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 11:41:15 am by keithrsmith »

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 04:37:38 pm »

Win 7 x64 runs 32bit apps without any issues, including CS4.  If you're upgrading from a 32bit only processor to a 64bit capable processor, any theoretical slow-down in running 32bit apps in a 64bit OS are completely blown away by the enhanced performance of the processor and the OS itself in 64bit mode (no more 32bit memory fragmentation to start with...)
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up