Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 5.1 converted tifs trying to open as a raw file in CS4  (Read 8208 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

I just installed 5.1 (under XP). Processes fine, but when I attempt to
open a 8 or 16 bit tif created in 5.1 in CS4 or CS3, the file opens in Camera raw instead of the just opening into photoshop. Thus CS4 is seeing it as a raw file.

Anyone else have this problem?

I can still develop in Capture One 4.81. with no problems, only the 5.1 version of Capture one causes this. I never installed 5.0. May back off 5.1 and try to get 5.0 and see what happens.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Henry Goh

Capture One 5.1 converted tifs trying to open as a raw file in CS4
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 02:44:32 am »

Quote from: Paul2660
open a 8 or 16 bit tif created in 5.1 in CS4 or CS3, the file opens in Camera raw instead of the just opening into photoshop. Thus CS4 is seeing it as a raw file.

I can still develop in Capture One 4.81. with no problems, only the 5.1 version of Capture one causes this. I never installed 5.0. May back off 5.1 and try to get 5.0 and see what happens.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

Paul,

I doubt your problem is caused by C1 at all.

You are trying to open the RAW file and not the converted TIF or JPG file.  You need to check where you are sending your results from C1 to (which folder) and did you specify to have PS open the output files immediately when the RAWs are converted?  Try that too.

Good luck.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 09:30:52 am »

Henry,

No it's not the raw file, (I do understand the difference).  The files are in the correct default location, my doc==my pictures==capture one==output.  And they are the correct size,
either 118 or 223mb tifs for 8 or 16 bit conversions.  However when you try to open one, file==open in CS4, it opens the image in Camera Raw.  I have not tried to open them from
bridge yet.  I backed off to 5.0, and converted 20 or so files and they all opened fine.  

Before I backed off to 5.0 I did try having CS4 open the results immediately after the conversion . On the first conversion it worked fine, but after that all the rest of the files again opened into CS4.  

Will stay at 5.0 for now.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul Sumi

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 11:19:57 am »

FWIW, I have a similar setup as you (XP SP3) and PS CS3.  I just installed CO PRO v5.01, processed 2 RAWs as 16 bit TIFFs and they open properly in Photoshop, not ACR.  I opened them from both PS and Bridge with no problems.

Not sure why you're having problems, unless you somehow have ACR configured so it also opens JPG or TIFF files?

Paul

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 05:06:07 pm »

Quote from: PaulS
Not sure why you're having problems, unless you somehow have ACR configured so it also opens JPG or TIFF files?

Paul

My thoughts as well, might double check the camera RAW preferences, although he said tiffs from 5.0 are fine which makes that unlikely.

I'm don't use windows much (ie the following is a wild guess), but is it possible the extension from 5.1 is different and PS/ACR is reading it differently?  .tif instead of .TIF or some such thing?

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 10:27:58 pm »

Just installed 5.01 (on my Mac 10.6.2) and tried it. No problems. The only thing different that I noticed is that in the C1 Process Recipes tab (basic tab) the "open with" option is now set to "None". When I run a file with these settings it defaults to opening in OS X's 'Preview' app. If I change the Process Recipe "open with" option to PS CS4, it opens as a tif in CS4. No problems either way for me. Bridge never opens. I know that PC's are very sensitive to file extension names and am wondering if your files have a 'tiff' or 'tif' extension and what app is designated as the "Default" for those extensions. You may have to reset the associations to get it to work properly. I'm guessing that the install of C1 5.x whacked this out for you as TIF was Phase One's extension handler for their DB RAW files before they changed it to IIQ.

-N

Quote from: Paul2660

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 10:41:16 am »

After using 5.0 with no problems for the last few days, I downloaded 5.1 again and re-installed it.  So far, the images are opening
correctly this time.  

Still not sure what happened before, since I rebooted several times and that should have cleared any CS preferences that might have
been causing the problem.  

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up