Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Found a Good Camera and Memory Card  (Read 3850 times)

BradSmith

Found a Good Camera and Memory Card
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:24:30 pm »

Don't know where to post this, so I thought I'd try here....

I found a camera a few days ago at the Grand Canyon in Arizona, USA.....One of the Canon G series.  Had a full memory card with images of two people at the Grand Canyon throughout.  Language preference was French.  I reported it to the Park Service and Concessionaire, with full info on how to contact me.  I contacted Canon USA, and Canon Europe and they both checked the serial number - it hadn't been registered.

Any other ideas on how I might go about trying to find the owners so I can send it to them?  I know how I'd just about die if the same happened to me after a big trip with a good camera.  Both the loss of the camera and the maybe, once in a lifetime set of images from a world famous iconic location would just about kill me.

And the strangest part of this is, among four or five cameras that I own, I have the same model Canon G.  Weird coincidence.
thanks
Brad

Robert Harshman

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:49:28 pm »

Quote from: skeedracer

I found a camera a few days ago at the Grand Canyon in Arizona, USA.....One of the Canon G series.  Had a full memory card with images of two people at the Grand Canyon throughout.  Language preference was French.  I reported it to the Park Service and Concessionaire, with full info on how to contact me.  I contacted Canon USA, and Canon Europe and they both checked the serial number - it hadn't been registered.

Any other ideas on how I might go about trying to find the owners so I can send it to them?  I know how I'd just about die if the same happened to me after a big trip with a good camera.  Both the loss of the camera and the maybe, once in a lifetime set of images from a world famous iconic location would just about kill me.

And the strangest part of this is, among four or five cameras that I own, I have the same model Canon G.  Weird coincidence.
thanks
Brad

Sounds like you've tried the logical ones. Perhaps a more extended effort would be to look through the pictures to see if you can figure out the probable owner - assume the person not in most of the pictures.  If that's doable, perhaps send one or two images of that person to the French embassy nearest you with the reason, dates, perhaps they could find them?  Of course could also be from Quebec.

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 06:41:26 am »

How about doing what one motivated guy did:
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...26-8362,00.html

z0624

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 06:45:41 am »

thanks
Brad

You could try this... http://www.ifoundyourcamera.blogspot.com/

BradSmith

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 06:44:05 pm »

Quote from: z0624
You could try this... http://www.ifoundyourcamera.blogspot.com/
I'll try the "ifoundyourcamera" site.  Also, I looked at the time set in the camera, and it is Europe, not Quebec.  So probably from France.

francois

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 03:47:48 am »

…  So probably from France.
Or Belgium or Switzerland…

Did they take photos of their car (with license plates) or hotels? With dates and locations you might gather useful information but it's a detective's job.
It'll be a miracle if you find the original owners, good luck.
Francois

5thElefant

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 06:21:36 am »

Try some card recovery software on it. You may be able to recover some old photos that might help.

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 06:23:15 am »

Quote from: francois
Or Belgium or Switzerland…

Did they take photos of their car (with license plates) or hotels? With dates and locations you might gather useful information but it's a detective's job.
It'll be a miracle if you find the original owners, good luck.

I posted a message about this on the French Usenet photo group telling them to either contact me or visit this board. The Facebook group is a great idea. And if you want to host a web page translated to French, I can also help. (I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address).

francois

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 06:36:26 am »

Quote from: PierreVandevenne
I posted a message about this on the French Usenet photo group telling them to either contact me or visit this board. The Facebook group is a great idea. And if you want to host a web page translated to French, I can also help. (I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address).
That's an excellent idea… IIRC, Chasseur d'Image hosts a discussion forum.
Francois

mgtuttle

• http://MarkTuttle dot net
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 10:54:03 am »

Any chance the metadata files have a name or address attached?

BradSmith

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 01:33:51 pm »

Pierre,
thanks for the posting on the French Usenet.  No info in any photo on the card that is helpful in ID'ing them in any way.  Nothing in metadata either.  Now I'll try image recovery software.

Brent McCombs

• http://www.alterego.zenfolio.com
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 12:49:09 am »

Put up some pics of them on Facebook - possibly on a French/France group, and ask that everyone who sees it puts it on their page - within 2 weeks, I bet someone spies the folks in the shot.

Pages: [1]   Go Up