Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Becoming a great Architectural Photographer!? PART 3  (Read 24232 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Becoming a great Architectural Photographer!? PART 3
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2009, 10:14:50 am »

Quote from: Yelhsa
Interesting!!

So do you 'work for hire' and / or sign over the copyright of your images then ?

Personally I prefer to produce & provide images for people to use, retain the copyright and charge a 'Licence fee' for the use of the images.

Each to their own I guess.

Cheers,
Ashley

How in the world did you get to work for hire?  Interesting indeed.

Lets just leave it at this.  You have your method, and it works well for you.  Wonderful.

Craig Lamson Photo

PhilipJames

Becoming a great Architectural Photographer!? PART 3
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2009, 07:43:59 am »

Quote from: Yelhsa
We use the Association of Photographer's guidelines and the Base Usage Rate (BUR) system, which I explain on my web-site:

A typical Quote, under the part stating - Description of Services / Media use / Period of use / Territory - would read like so:

To produce & provide (number) images of (subject) at (location).
For exclusive use, for (client's name) to use for:-
Media Use: list what has been agreed.
Period of Use: state what has been agreed (ends: date).
Territory: state what has been agreed.
(BUR: £... per image)
Licence fee based on the above: £ (BUR +/- % multiplied by number of images).

It's not a case of hiding stuff from the clients, it's a case of clearly stating what all they are going to actually get, for the fee i.e. images which they can use.
Nothing else matters to them.

How long it takes to produce the images, my expenses, the number of people at the shoot, the type of camera I use, whether I use lights or don't use lights, what type of car I drive, whether I stay in a 5 star hotel or a B&B, the number of hours I spend retouching images, etc, etc, is not important to them. Because they don't actually get any of these things... these are just things which I need to take into account, when working out what the fee needs to be, for me to be able to produce & provide the images they have asked for.

So going back to James' point, about needing 2 assistants:
Why ask the client about this or present it like it was an option ?
It clearly is not an option, as far as he is concerned - he needs 2 assistants to produce the images and to provide them with the images they have asked for. It's therefore his business, not their business, to make that call... and they really don't need to know about it.

IMO

Cheers,
Ashley.

At the outset I have to admit some blindness on the BUR system, you have obviously cracked it and got it working perfectly for your needs.  I'm not intending to criticise, just trying to understand.
Reading through it, if I was the client I would have left after the first couple of paragraphs, nearly all people I deal with just want to know the bottom line. From a photographers point of view it makes perfect sense, but you know that glazed look in someones eyes when they don't understand or have any interest in the buzz phrases we use? More than one client has used the comparison "when I employ a plumber" i.e. when have you ever heard a plumber talk about how many spanners, what size, and how many times will you turn the tap on in future?
The breakdown on your site still implies a charge for time, Pre production time, Photography time, Post production time, Travel Time so there must be a an hourly rate in the equation somewhere, what is that based on? I'm not sure I understand how it all applies if the brief is for 2 shots only (for the sake of discussion)?
What kind of response do you get from clients when you explain the breakdown to them? or do you not?
Once again my aim is not criticism as I would love to employ a similar system, I just need to really understand it and that my clients will get it.

Many thanks
Philip
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:19:25 am by PhilipJames »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up