Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: photo rag cotton papers and yellowing (reversed by UV light)  (Read 1151 times)

Lero

photo rag cotton papers and yellowing (reversed by UV light)
« on: November 23, 2009, 04:27:27 pm »

Hi, I can use some experienced guidance with this.
I somewhat understand the yellowing of digital papers due to contaminants in the air, use of improper adhesives, and gases from certain plastics.
I do not understand why the paper yellows- but I could live with that.
I do not understand why spraying the paper with print shield which is a lacquer- does not prevent this.
I also would like to know if any archival cotton rag papers (matte finish) are less likely to yellow. My experience has been with Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Bright white Smooth (310gsm) mostly printing 40"x60" on the Epson 9800.
I am also not addressing the OBA factor in this- unless that is the cause of short term yellowing-
I am concerned with the yellowing that is reversed by UV sunlight.
The pivotal question has to do with framing.
A. Is it alright to frame with plexi-glass or will the plexi cause yellowing over time?
B. If someone wants to face mount a print with plexi using a silicone adhesive is that just a bad idea?
C.  Is it okay to heat mount (not too high) a print on archival conservation or matte board using a specific tissue?
 c.1. Is there any tissue safe in addition to Clear Mount from Bienfang?
D. Is it okay to back the matte board with archival foam core?
E. Is the yellowing less likely with Epson Ultra smooth fine art or  Museo Portfolio Rag than the Hahnemuhle?

I realize This won't be perfect but in an imperfect world will it hold up well over a period of decades or is it likely to yellow in under a decade?

Thank you for anyone who takes the time to answer.
Tech support from Hahnemuhle and Epson seems limited in this area.

Lero
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:52:40 pm by Lero »
Pages: [1]   Go Up