Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Notebook computer for photo shoots  (Read 8185 times)

mikebinok

Notebook computer for photo shoots
« on: April 09, 2005, 02:13:58 pm »

I bought an Averatec, and am pleased with it for lightness and portability.  PC Magazine and CNET.COm liked them.  Here's a brief review of a more recent model than mine:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1777945,00.asp

One disadvantage is that all the Averatecs I've seen use Athlon processors that run hot and go through the battery quickly.  But for something to take traveling where most work will be done in a hotel, or using an inverter to run off a car cigarette lighter, with only "emergency" work to be done occasionally off battery power, I find mine very suitable.  I bought mine at a local Sam's Club, but you can order them directly from Averatec, and from various online dealers.

As I understand it, no notebook LCD is really up to extensive photo editing.  Based strictly on what I read, the Apple screens may not be as bad as the PC for that purpose.

didger

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 05:47:54 am »

I looked at a lot of things, but it came down to the best model of Fujitsu Lifebook.  These have the brightest most high contrast displays, but by now the model I was interested in is several generations old.  It was 3.4 Ghz P5020 and had a 1440x900 16" display.  Until relatively recently Mac laptop prices were so much higher than PC that I decided I just had to go PC, but then it came to my attention that if you get the highest capacity and fastest hard drive and maximum amount of RAM, the top of the line 17" G4 powerbook is the same price as a comparable PC.  There are no G5 laptops yet and there's some doubt that there ever will be.  The relatively new 1.67 Ghz G4 Powerbook (that I got) is apparently the substitute offering.

I had also looked at top of the line Sony Vaio and these were also in the same price range.  I was unable to find anything else tempting.  By now (only a few months later!) the whole game has changed and you need to start all over researching what's the best bang for the buck.

didger

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 09:32:59 am »

Obviously, for image processing, display quality is a crucial issue, and it seems that Fujitsu, Sony Vaio, or G4 Powerbook are the major choices.  However, I also have an inexpensive 14" Compaq that's actually quite nice as well, except that I find the resolution a bit minimal.

Generally, I've found that one of the most limiting things with a laptop is that it's hard to see enough of the image and also the various information and control windows.  There just isn't enough display real estate.  That's why I would strongly recommend 17" rather than 15" display, unless you need to use the machine on airplanes a lot or if the extra money is critical.  I have a 17" G4 Powerbook and a small portable LCD monitor that I use as an auxiliary monitor with the powerbook on the road.  I keep the PS CS thumbnail browser on the small monitor and also have all the control windows go there.  The information windows (histogram, layers, etc.) go on the rights side of the main monitor.  With this dual monitor display configuration I find that laptop image processing is practically no compromise at all compared to a big studio system for most tasks.  Since I'm on the road so much and spend a lot of time in my camper working on images, it's very important that the road system be as work efficient as possible and as power efficient as possible.  The computer and auxiliary monitor together use far less power and weigh far less than any comparable PC computer alone (as far as I know).  

No matter what kind of laptop you use or how good the display is, I wouldn't attempt to make final decisions for an image on any laptop because brightness varies to much with viewing angle.

didger

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 04:33:53 pm »

It may actually be TOO small
Huh??  Compared to what?  The p5020 series have a 16.1" screen and more resolution than any 17" screen made that I know of (even all the newer models of Fujitsu) or Mac.

Dr. Gary

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 12:59:15 pm »

If you go PC, make sure you get one with a Mobile Celeron processor for battery life.

Dr. Gary

PMERCHAN

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 11:00:39 pm »

I shoot tethered to my camera 90% of my time, i was a PC user and went mac two year ago. I got a G4 power book with my 1ds mark II all i can say it works great, light, powerfull and i think C1 pro software works better with mac.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 09:45:05 am »

Here is a review I posted on epinions.com on this laptop:
http://www.epinions.com/content_181812301444
Thanks for that review.

One minor comment, though (to the benefit of people here, I'm not interested in creating a login at epinions):

I heartily recommend that you don't use current or earlier versions of Norton Internet Security. Get a competing product, from McAfee, Norman, ZoneAlarm, or almost anyone else. I work for a webhotel and email service provider, and NIS is responsible for a great number of problems with email, FTP and web usage that are not obvious to regular users. Other internet security software does the job better, more safely and with less problems for the users.

Please note that this does not include the "firewall" in Windows XP SP2.

Take this as the free advice it is, in the hope that it will reduce the number of support calls for various ISPs.
Jan

dmammana

• http://www.skyscapes.com
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 02:41:25 am »

My present laptop computer has crapped out on me (for the last time!) and I need to get one that will enable me to do reasonably good image review and processing while out on a shoot.  I often upload to my website from on the road and have been quite disappointed after seeing the images with my desktop monitor.   I know that LCD screens aren't as good as the CRTs, but can anyone recommend one that has a screen that can be calibrated and produces high res and high quality images for this purpose, and which still remains portable?  Brands, models, and any other recommendations are welcome!   Thanks in advance for your advice.    --Dennis
Dennis Mammana
www.skyscapes.com

Paul Sumi

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 06:56:07 pm »

I'm also interested in this discussion, as I am in the same situation.  I had a chance to use my friend's PowerBook G4 during a recent Yosemite photo trip and I am very intrigued.

I'm a PC user, though, and would also prefer a PC solution.

Paul

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 09:29:33 am »

I have one of the Fujitsu Lifebooks, and while battery life is not particularly impressive (only an hour or so), the display is one of the best available on a laptop. I'm using it right now to write this post.

John Camp

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 07:50:11 pm »

I've had a lot of laptops (I've got  three right now), but your question is hard to answer in its present form. The first thing you have to do is figure out your exact list of requirements. Where you have conflicts (need high memory, low price,) sort those out. Then you can start to make decisions.

MACs are nice, and will do everything you need for photos, but if you're planning to do anything EXCEPT photo processing, PCs have much more extensive software. I travel a lot, and I like to keep a Streets & Trips, an Oxford dictionary, a Webster's Dictionary and Thesaurus, and a couple of encyclopedias on my hard drive, as well as some miscellaneous stuff, and it's much easier to get good quality reference programs on PCs. You also don't have compatibility problems with other business computers.

In the PC world, I think the best screens are on the Sony Viaos. Within the Viao world, you can get almost any combination of drives, memory, and ports that you need; prices can get pretty stiff. If you'll take a lesser screen, then there are a million different possibilities. With Dell, you get adequate machines and a realistic price, but the screens are not as good as Sonys.

If you type a lot, the best keyboards IMHO are on IBMs and the screens are good, if not quite Sony. If weight is a consideration, Toshiba has very lightweight machines with OK screens, but much of the weight savings comes from moving stuff like CD burners off-board.

If price is a problem, you can often get great deals on used laptops; especially great if it's a big brand where you can take the drive out, throw it away and essentially start over. Several brands of laptops now offer built-in CF readers, but not Sony (as far as I know.) They were still pushing memory sticks that last time I looked. That's not such a big deal because most computers still offer PCMCIA slots and you can now get high-speed adapters and just permanently keep the adapter in the slot.

I've never found battery life to be much of a problem -- just get another battery. I keep a converter in my car and can charge cell phones, laptops and camera batteries as I drive.

So...the biggest deal is designing your system. After that, there'll be plenty of answers.

JC

Paul Sumi

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 03:48:53 pm »

Paul, for what it is worth I ended up with The Fujitsu Lifebook P5020 for in the field.
Larry,

Thanks for a very intriguing suggestion.  It may actually be TOO small, but I'll have to check it out "in the metal" to test the keyboard and screen.

Best,

Paul

propaganda32

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 03:49:27 pm »

Hi,

buy a Sony Vaio with mobile pentium processor. The light weight combined with an outstanding screen make it a superb performer for me

didger

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 02:37:28 am »

I am about to by a G5 with the new Tiger version of OSX.
This is the second time I've seen a reference to G5 portable and the second time I've failed to find any hint of such a thing on the Apple web site.  There are small G5's, but NOT laptops.  I haven't even found any remotely credible rumors that Apple is developing a G5 laptop.  No problem; for Photoshop processing a 17" G4 1.67 with 2 GB RAM is all anyone is ever likely to need and for studio use you can even attach a second monitor (up to 30" and ultra hi res with no extra hardware).  I agree that various PC options are quite adequate, but G4 Powerbook truly rocks.

I've got Tiger on my Macs now and the only thing that's been relevant for me so far is vastly faster DVD writing.  This alone is easily worth the cost of the upgrade, though.

Stealthfixr

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 06:42:14 pm »

I just bought (and I am typing this on) a Dell Inspiron 6000D.  I've tried both Macs and XP based machines, and I am more comfortable with the PC based ones.  Nothing against the Powerbooks, as they are very nice--just my preference.  It helps the money goes farther with a PC based laptop than a Mac one.

Dell has a WUXGA 1920x1200 resolution laptop screen option that is just awesome--worth the extra $$$.  It's at least as good or better than anything else I've seen in a laptop screen.  My new 20D images seem to have great color, contrast and dynamic range as viewed, assuming you're considering the usual LCD limitations (mainly viewing angles).  Here is a review I posted on epinions.com on this laptop:
http://www.epinions.com/content_181812301444

With 1GB RAM and the 760 Pentium M processor, this laptop handles my Canon 20D images (both in RAW and JPG) with ease.  I've also tried CS2 on it, and it runs fast and stable.  In fact, this laptop is so good I am not looking at my desktop the same anymore!  I've had it for a month now, using it every single day, and it's been fantastic--not a single problem at all.  Good luck!

Kenneth Sky

• http://
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2005, 10:26:27 am »

I've used my Acer tablet which is a tad over 3 pounds but for real processing power my son who edits for a living uses a Mac laptop and says the new G5 version is the best.

didger

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 07:34:38 pm »

I recently researched the laptop for image processing issue very thoroughly and ended up buying a maxed out 17" G4 Powerbook because I'm totally Mac in my studio now.  It appears that for a max quality laptop Mac and PC are tied for quality and price.  However, Mac has a very big edge for battery life and weight.  G4 Powerbooks are extremely light and thin and run on about half the wattage as any comparable PC laptop.  Nevertheless the display is quite bright enough and very good quality.  If your whole studio is PC, however, it's probably not worth the software hassle to have a Mac on the road.  Just get more batteries or get a power adapter (about $80) so you can use your car battery.

didger

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 03:47:10 pm »

nteresting that you both came down to the Fujitsu Lifebook
Ha,ha.  I learned about the Fujitsus (and quite a lot else) from Jonathan.  Even apart from that, however, Tweedledum and Tweedledummer often agree with each other (often in the face of much opposition).  Just don't ask us which one is dum and which one dummer.  :p

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2005, 03:32:27 pm »

Paul, for what it is worth I ended up with The Fujitsu Lifebook P5020 for in the field.
In the office i use a maxed out Dell with Raid technology.

It is really nice to only have to lug around 3 lbs and smaller footprint in the field.
The only better option would be a unit like the Epson P-2000, but I use the Phase one and the raw files can't be viewed on it.

I would also consider the Mac g4/g5  if it weren't that everything I own is PC based and just too much to switch for me.

didger

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2005, 06:19:09 pm »

Oooops  
You're right, P5020 is their smallest.  There's a b5020 that's next biggest, and I don't know what the exact model of the 16.1" one is.  In any case, it was already a generation behind and hard to find when I was considering it.  The 6010/20 replaced the 5010/20 models, but the displays are not the same and the new ones actually have a bit less resolution than the older 16.1".

Sorry about the confusion.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up