Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My LR Beta e has No Noise Contrast Slider  (Read 2365 times)

Michael West

My LR Beta e has No Noise Contrast Slider
« on: November 23, 2009, 12:46:32 pm »

My LR Beta e has No Noise Contrast Slider...Yet there is one clearly visible in this screenshot image of the review form The Lumionous Landscape site

are there different versions of this beta perhaps?

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 01:35:44 pm »

In addition to the possiblity of multiple betas, you will also find that that slider is *not* greyed out if you change Settings > Process Version to Version 1.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:36:19 pm by joedecker »
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

Michael West

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 02:47:39 pm »

Quote from: joedecker
In addition to the possiblity of multiple betas, you will also find that that slider is *not* greyed out if you change Settings > Process Version to Version 1.

A "community Expert" on the Adobe Lightroom 3 Beta forum suggested that the version portrayed in the screenshot was a pre-beta release which did indeed contain a contrast slider in the details section.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 04:20:50 pm »

When an image has previously been edited in LR2, importing it into LR3 will cause it to be rendered using LR2's treatment - process version 1 - and the luminance noise reduction slider will be available.

Here the image has been imported directly into Lr3 Beta and has no Lr2 settings, so it will be rendered with Lr3 beta's treatment - process version 2 - and the luminance NR slider won't be available, but the color noise reduction slider will be. That's because at the time the Beta was made available, the rewriting of the luminance slider wasn't finished. When Lr3 is fully released, the slider will be enabled.

ie nothing to do with multiple betas (Adobe have never said there will be more than one public beta).

John
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:23:23 pm by johnbeardy »

Michael West

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 05:00:02 pm »

Quote from: johnbeardy
When an image has previously been edited in LR2, importing it into LR3 will cause it to be rendered using LR2's treatment - process version 1 - and the luminance noise reduction slider will be available.

Here the image has been imported directly into Lr3 Beta and has no Lr2 settings, so it will be rendered with Lr3 beta's treatment - process version 2 - and the luminance NR slider won't be available, but the color noise reduction slider will be. That's because at the time the Beta was made available, the rewriting of the luminance slider wasn't finished. When Lr3 is fully released, the slider will be enabled.

ie nothing to do with multiple betas (Adobe have never said there will be more than one public beta).

John

The sole issue I was addressing was the existance of the Contrast Slider in the Noise Reduction panel

I mendtion the luminance noise slider..soley .in reference to my understanding that it did appear functianal in version one.

------------------------------

These are the words of Ian Lyons "Adobe Community Expert "

x"
"At the risk of going where angels fear to tread, the screenshot comes from a pre-release version before the public beta. This particular slider did very little of any consequence and was therefore removed. It's not unusual for this to happen. In fact, when the sharpening model in Lr2 was first introduced we had six or possibly eight sliders. Obviously, way too many.

Getting back to the screenshot. Michael probably had the article already written and illustrated before the public beta went live, and didn't even notice that it was gone."

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 05:42:18 pm »

OK, that makes sense. Ignore my post.

joedecker

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 05:44:28 pm »

[quote name='Michael West' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:00 PM' post='327289']
The sole issue I was addressing was the existance of the Contrast Slider in the Noise Reduction panel

My bad.  I hadn't seen that slider before, it's not in any version I've used.  I'd take Ian Lyons word for it.  

-Joe

Joe Decker

Michael West

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 06:53:34 pm »

[quote name='joedecker' date='Nov 23 2009, 02:44 PM' post='327304']
[quote name='Michael West' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:00 PM' post='327289']

My bad.  I hadn't seen that slider before, it's not in any version I've used.  I'd take Ian Lyons word for it.  

-Joe

It's tempting to speculate what the sliders functions "look like", but it appears that such speculation would be completely unproductive if it is not to appear as a part of the final release.

I'm very anxious on the other hand to see precisely what the new luminous noise reduction function looks like.

joedecker

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 08:20:05 pm »

Quote from: Michael West
I'm very anxious on the other hand to see precisely what the new luminous noise reduction function looks like.

Me too, I was very impressed with the color-NR only Lightroom comparisons I did over at Photocrati, real imporvements in NR and sharpening at the same time on high ISO images I tested.  

Sadly, I'm just gonna have to wait!  

--Joe

Joe Decker
Pages: [1]   Go Up