Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Review of Mamiya DF  (Read 8859 times)

Graham Mitchell

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 07:07:04 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
The downside of the Canon method is the ammount of flash power you're able to produce is extremely limited at 1/8000th and you can only use a select number of compatible flashes.

Another big downside to the Canon method is that if you are shooting at a relatively low speed, e.g. 1/400, the flash will be of the same long duration and won't freeze any fast movement as a normal flash would.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 08:20:00 pm »

Quote from: foto-z
Although I don't know for sure, I can make an intelligent guess about how Canon's system works. The only way to achieve it with a focal plane shutter is to start the flash before the first curtain moves, and stop it after the second curtain closes. You are effectively creating a continuous light with the flash for the whole duration of the exposure.

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Correct. The technologies employed by Canon and Phase to accomplish high sync speed are NOT the same. One is using a stroboscopic effect to create effectively continuous light during the entirety of the focal plane travel and the other is dealing with the timing of the sensor.

Intriguing. I've always wondered how Canon did this. Basically the Canon fires the flash continuously as the focal plane "slice" moves across the sensor path - the actual flash "speed" is 1/8000th of a second, but the overall time to take the picture is still limited by the cameras base flash sync speed. Indeed it doesn't seem to be extremely useful for the reasons mentioned ...

michele

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 03:02:17 am »

I have a question, do i have to buy a PhaseOne DF camera to use the new LS lenses or can i use the new lenses with my "old" PhaseOne 645 camera?

Jozef Zajaz

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 03:49:56 am »

Quote from: michele
I have a question, do i have to buy a PhaseOne DF camera to use the new LS lenses or can i use the new lenses with my "old" PhaseOne 645 camera?

You can use them but I think a firmware update is needed and not sure all functions is possible.

wolfbellw.

• http://www.wolfgang-bellwinkel.de
Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 06:57:49 am »

i have not heard any statement by mamiya/phase regarding this issue.
but michael reichman mentions in his article that - with some firmware upgrade - it will be possible to use those lenses with the older cameras as announced more than a year ago.
as long as this firmware upgrade is not bundled with some obscure warranty for 800 euro or so, its good news and brings back some credibility to a company that has been pissing off their cusromers for quite a while.

michael

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 08:27:40 am »

From my review....

"Please note that the leaf shutter lenses will also work on older firmware-updated 645AF and 645AFDIII models, but without the 1/1600 top sync speed."

Your local Phase One dealer will be able to do the firmware upgrade for you.

And by the way, something that I forgot to mention in the review is that the new vertical grip (645DF only) will have a USB port, and will allow camera firmware upgrades in future by the user.

Michael

michele

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 08:40:01 am »

Thanks a lot

woof75

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 09:45:19 am »

I used the DF on a job recently briefly and basically it does what it says, slightly faster AF and slightly less shutter lag. I still used my old trusty AFD for most of the shoot though, I like the AFD's AF, slow but reliable and accurate and the shutter lag to me is insignificant. Anyway, back to editing for me...

Fotogman

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 10:49:44 am »

Quote from: michael
Your local Phase One dealer will be able to do the firmware upgrade for you.

Just to be clear....The "Phase One Camera" is a Mamiya. If you bought the camera from Phase One, then they should do the upgrades. If it is a Mamiya branded camera, then Mamiya dealers would do the upgrades.

BobDavid

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 10:56:29 am »

So, how well does the Mamiya DF's autofocus work in dimly lit environments with reduced overall scene contrast?

billthecat

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 11:10:39 am »

I wonder about low light AF also, as I have sometimes need an extra light to focus with the AFD2. I wonder if it has better communication. I get lockups between the ZD and the AFD2. I cleaned contacts so that's not the problem. I read that other backs have communication problems also.

Bill

BJL

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 01:14:28 pm »

Quote from: foto-z
Another big downside to the Canon method is that if you are shooting at a relatively low speed, e.g. 1/400, the flash will be of the same long duration and won't freeze any fast movement as a normal flash would.
Actually, with FP flash as with any FP shutter at high shutter speed, each part of the image is exposed only for the stated time like 1/4000s, but with different parts exposed at different times over a total period of about 1/300s that the shutter curtains take to complete their trip. So motion blur is controlled, but images can be spatially distorted: the famous "leaning over car" effect. Think of FP flash as continuous lighting, but only continuing for about 1/300s.

bcooter

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 02:03:24 pm »

Quote from: BJL
Actually, with FP flash as with any FP shutter at high shutter speed, each part of the image is exposed only for the stated time like 1/4000s, but with different parts exposed at different times over a total period of about 1/300s that the shutter curtains take to complete their trip. So motion blur is controlled, but images can be spatially distorted: the famous "leaning over car" effect. Think of FP flash as continuous lighting, but only continuing for about 1/300s.

We just finished shooting a large lifestyle project on two sets.  All of the imagery had interaction between the talent, some fast like running, some slower like jumping up on sofas and ended up using the 1ds3' and profotos.

Of the two sets one was quite large as the scenes involved multiple talent, usually 4 models, so the lights had to be a distance away.so I thought I'd probably have to go to specialty lights or bitubes to hold the detail of the movement, but on the more severe movement we just upped the iso a stop or two, cut the power down on the profotos and the imagery was sharp, like full length subjects where the eyelashes were sharp.

I don't know what the flash duration was, but of course the Canons sync is 1/ 250th, though all I cared about was getting it sharp and it was sharp, all handheld, all at about F11.

For real intense movement I use photogenic monolights.   They're not sexy, but I have about 30 of them of they've worked for years.  If you up the iso to about 640 to 800 or so and cut the power of the monoheads to 1/16th you get a flash duration of 1/4000th of a second and we've used these to hold detail that is amazing, but you do need a camera that can go to clean higher iso.

You also get a recycle time of less than a tenth of a second so it gives you the chance to shoot multiple frames.

With advertising, the rule of the last few years is interaction and freezing the moment.  It seems like every creative brief I see mentions reality, interaction, even if the shoot is in studio so you need equipment that is fast to set up and fast to make changes, both cameras and lights.

The way budgets and schedules now run, you don't have the time luxury of taking 20 minutes between sessions to change and fine tune light.  It now needs to be a 3 or 4 minute process and we put the lights on stands with rollers so we can make the adjustments quickly.

Now that we add video to most sessions, we do the same with the 5d2.  The sticks are on rollers with a few marks on the floor as to where we will set up.  We adjust the lights, shoot the stills, roll the video camera in to positon 1, shoot a sequence, roll it in to postion 2 shoot a sequence and on to the next session.

If this sounds like less quality that's not the objective.  Client requests now are non compromising.  It's everything, the lighting, the look, the posing the styling,  but everything has to be faster.

BC.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:10:47 pm by bcooter »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 02:12:19 pm »

Quote from: BobDavid
So, how well does the Mamiya DF's autofocus work in dimly lit environments with reduced overall scene contrast?

When shooting at sunrise in Death Valley, the camera would begin to auto focus much earlier than I thought it would as the morning light increased.  I was using 10-20 second exposure times and had difficulty seeing the image through to viewfinder to compose yet the autofocus seemed to be working.

BJL

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 03:06:11 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
With advertising, the rule of the last few years is interaction and freezing the moment.  It seems like every creative brief I see mentions reality, interaction, even if the shoot is in studio so you need equipment that is fast to set up and fast to make changes, both cameras and lights.
Thanks for the inside details. Given the trend you describe above, what gear do you see being preferred for advertising in the coming years: 35mm format digital, MF with the current sensor types (Full Frame type CCD), or a hoped for "third way"? I have my guesses, but am biting my tongue to hear what the "players" say.

gwhitf

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 03:29:33 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
The way budgets and schedules now run, you don't have the time luxury of taking 20 minutes between sessions to change and fine tune light.  It now needs to be a 3 or 4 minute process and we put the lights on stands with rollers so we can make the adjustments quickly.

So many of my friends are going to those Canon500EX type strobes, or the Nikon versions, and not even getting out the 7B's or the 600B's. They rave about them, with this weird glaze in their eyes, like they've found The Holy Grail.

I'd like to slap each and every one of them.

bcooter

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 04:09:15 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
So many of my friends are going to those Canon500EX type strobes, or the Nikon versions, and not even getting out the 7B's or the 600B's. They rave about them, with this weird glaze in their eyes, like they've found The Holy Grail.

I have two of those Canon flashes and don't use them much.  They can be a lifesaver, but in studio or using large modifiers I kind of don't see the point.  I have moved to umbrellas more than octobanks because I find I can do more with them either as shoot through or silver bounce and they fold up easy, are light weight, small and very inexpensive.

With all my flash I try to use 250 watt modeling lights, cause since we are shooting some video footage if proportioned correctly on a 5d2 you can use the modeling lights for the video and that camera seems to work fine in video at a billion or so asa.

As far as still cameras, I'm not getting into that argument anymore cause it brings up too much angst about three dee, ultimate image quality, clean blue channels, whatever.  This is a forum that sells equipment and I'm not in the equipment selling biz, so I just use what works for me and right now the 1ds3's for 90% of what I do works for me.

I do know that at least for my work, I've got to have a camera that's moveable in a lot of ways with a decent lcd, it has to tether securely and well, it has to have moveable iso.  Those things are a must because without that I just end up lugging two extra camera cases.

BC

TMARK

Review of Mamiya DF
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 04:24:16 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf

They need to be deprogrammed.  All that Strobist Kool-Aid.

In all seriousness, the on camera flashes are good, and when used well, give a nice result, but I can't stand using them.  The closest I get to liking the on camera flash systems is when I put an SB 28 on a Holga.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up