Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3200 document length x width  (Read 2944 times)

Geraldo Garcia

z3200 document length x width
« on: November 22, 2009, 12:17:33 pm »

Hello there,

Is there any workaround to the weird behavior of the printer´s driver that prevents you from creating a document size with the legth shorter than the width? Sure i can tell the driver to "turn 90 degrees", but I have to try and cancel 2 or 3 times before getting it right.

On the "Camera to Print" video, Michael shows an interesting plug-in (photosmart pro, I think), but I can´t find it and actualy I don´t even know if there is a version for PS CS4 and the 3200.

Thanks in advance.

Geraldo Garcia

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 02:52:12 am »

Quote from: Geraldo Garcia
Is there any workaround to the weird behavior of the printer´s driver that prevents you from creating a document size with the legth shorter than the width? Sure i can tell the driver to "turn 90 degrees", but I have to try and cancel 2 or 3 times before getting it right.

When using the PCL3 driver for the Z3100 and Z3200-PS  I do not have the problem.  The driver warns that the length is shorter than the width and I give the OK despite that and then change the mode from portrait to landscape and it will print accordingly. I never use HP preview. Print from Qimage on a Vista machine.

There has been an older PCL3 driver for the Z3100 that didn't have the warning and worked alright too. Why they changed that, I don't know.

The PS3 driver for the Z3200-PS shows the problem too and more severe. One of the reasons I switched to the PCL3 driver for the Z3200.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Geraldo Garcia

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 08:00:03 am »

Thanks Ernst,

I will check the PCL3 driver. I must confess I am a bit puzzled by this differences on the drivers and why HP thinks it is "OK" to have such differences and, even more, why HP thinks we don´t want true borderless print on the PS version.

The z3200 PS is an amazing machine and that makes it even harder to accept such issues from the drivers.

Thanks again.

Geraldo Garcia  

Shutterbug2006

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:15:57 am »

I guess I'm getting old. I frequently have paper size issues, even after I've convinced myself I understand what I'm supposed to do - I screw it up - most frequently when I want to create my own odd paper size in the driver, as I always use rolls of 24" or 36" material.

I thought I had read instructions once somewhere that clarified the process, but haven't stumbled onto it again.

It seems I am able to get past the problems if I specify a slightly smaller width than the actual paper width and a slightly larger length then the length I really want to print.

Thanks to whoever it was here that first turned me onto Qimage. It is a gem.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 02:59:13 am »

Quote from: Shutterbug2006
I guess I'm getting old. I frequently have paper size issues, even after I've convinced myself I understand what I'm supposed to do - I screw it up - most frequently when I want to create my own odd paper size in the driver, as I always use rolls of 24" or 36" material.

I thought I had read instructions once somewhere that clarified the process, but haven't stumbled onto it again.

It seems I am able to get past the problems if I specify a slightly smaller width than the actual paper width and a slightly larger length then the length I really want to print.

Last week I the issue plagued me again. After printing two rolls of Photorag 44" the next roll was some mm's less wide than the other ones were. As I had the print page format set on 44" wide and 40" long and the printer itself measured the width as slightly less than 44" it turhed the print page. To be honest I thought about all kinds of reasons but not that the width of the roll was not 44".  I should have checked that as it is displayed in the HP driver. Four prints and a coffee break later it dawned on me.

I am a Qimage advocate wherever applications for printing are discussed.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up