Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions on Flaking issues with BC Optica 1  (Read 1343 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Questions on Flaking issues with BC Optica 1
« on: November 22, 2009, 09:36:41 am »

I have been using Breathing Color's Optica 1 now for over a year, mainly on smaller prints, 16 x 20, 13 x 19, with excellent results (Epson
7800 matte ink).  I have used both the rolls and sheets.   However on larger prints, 23 x 33  or 24 x 36, both from 24 inch rolls, I have a
consistent problem with the print being ruined by flaking.    Most times, it will  be just one spot, but it's large enough and most times in a
spot that I can't touch up.  

I always brush off the paper with a fine brush before I send the print, but still I tend to see at least one large fleck that will make the print
non usable.  

Do other people using Optica 1 have this problem?  and do you have any other ideas on how to prep the paper before the print to make sure
all loose particles are taken off?  I have considered running 0000 steel wool over the surface, but have not tried it yet.  

Another question I have is on drying time.  Breathing Color told me that the print is ready to use as soon as it comes off the printer, however
I have noticed that if they hang for a day or so, they will slightly curl which makes me feel that there is some evaporation/drying doing on.  How
long do others let the prints dry before mounting/working.  

Once the print is complete, I will coat it several times with Print shield spray mainly to help keep it from getting scratched while mounting.  

I have heard that it's possible to spray optica 1 with a glossy coating.  I have tried spraying Optica 1 prints with Glamour II, but my gun
wont' get a fine enough spray.  And I have tried to use Clear Star's canned spray, Gloss and semi-gloss, but can't get a even coating.  

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:31:50 pm »

Yes, had many problems with flaking on Optica, especially with the wider rolls.

Tried brushing and blowing with no improvement.  For me the problem turned out to be paper flakes and dust that were accumulating on the silvery metal surface right underneath the roll support on my Epson 9880.  The paper was so springy that it inevitably wound up in contact with that surface, and also the plastic shield.  The solution was to carefully wipe the metal surface with my slightly moist hand before loading the roll, and to try to prevent the very springy roll from contacting the surface...good luck with that!  That completely solved the problem for me.  But honestly I just didn't like dealing with the extreme curl (especially at the end of the roll) and went over to Enhanced Matte for those rare occasions when I needed a paper print.

I don't think BC was supplying dusty paper out of the box, but the simple act of unrolling it and handling and unrolling it was causing dust to flake off from the edges.

FWIW Optica does make a more brilliant print than EHM, but not enough so to warrant the hassles IMHO.

Not sure that Optica is a good candidate for spraying, my attempts on the super smooth surface were somewhat too unevenly textured for most purposes.  You would need a very fine nozzle cap and very clean conditions with a controlled environmental air flow.  I think BC's Velvet product is better suited for spraying since the paper texture somewhat masks uneven spraying.

Before delivering Optica roll paper prints I always flattened them with a drymount press, that's what it took.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 10:46:20 pm »

Regardless of what the paper manufacturer says, you need to let Epson prints dry for at least 24 hours before considering them completely dry. The print may come out of the printer dry enough that casual handling doesn't smear the print, but you need to wait a day or two before laminating or framing behind glass regardless of paper type.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:49:08 pm by Jonathan Wienke »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 09:02:11 am »

Bill,

Thanks for the feedback, I had definitely overlooked that area, especially the cover and it did have a lot of trash in it.  
I agree the paper is very springy and hard to work with especially once you are past 1/2 on the roll. Plus the last two rolls
I have used have not been very tight on the spool to start with and just spin when you try to tighten them.  What I started to
do once I was past 1/2 was to cut a sheet and de curl it, which will flatten it out very quickly, then feed the print as a large
sheet.  It's great paper, and really produces a wonderful print, but it can be a pain.

Jonathan, thanks for the feedback on drying time.  

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up