Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpa Groundglass?  (Read 4308 times)

CBarrett

Alpa Groundglass?
« on: November 21, 2009, 09:04:24 pm »

After reading Dubovoy's Alpa field report, I am really intrigued with the new Alpa groundglass (with 4mm grid).  

To Quote Mark, "I believe the new ALPA groundglass is truly groundbreaking (pun intended). It is, in one word: extraordinary. It is practically grainless and even the smallest detail is visible and clearly pops in and out of focus. Furthermore, it has an extremely fine grid etched into the glass. The grid is so fine that it does not interfere at all when looking at the full image, yet it has enough lines in it to make it extremely useful for composing and leveling."

Alpa list the glass alone on their site at $250 US.  I'm wondering if I can adapt my Arca groundglass carrier to work with it, having it machined of course for critical focus.  Anybody have this new or even older Alpa screen on hand and can you give me dimensions?

Gracias,

C

Oh there they are on the website... 78mm x 90mm which happens to be very close to the size of the Arca Glass.... interesting.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:12:08 pm by CBarrett »

archivue

Alpa Groundglass?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 05:04:51 am »

if you find a way to test it mounted on the arca, please keep us inform !

i will try to have a flexbody ground glass on my rotaslide... but i need a second Hasselblad V N adaptor...

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
Alpa Groundglass?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 06:50:08 pm »

71.56mm x 94mm x2.26mm thick (but that last measurement includes the paper-thin mask they include to delineate the digital back sensor area.) I didn't take the new gg off since it's a bit of a hassle, but possibly someone who hasn't installed it yet can mic it for you.

Hope that helps.

Dennis

Quote from: CBarrett
After reading Dubovoy's Alpa field report, I am really intrigued with the new Alpa groundglass (with 4mm grid).  

To Quote Mark, "I believe the new ALPA groundglass is truly groundbreaking (pun intended). It is, in one word: extraordinary. It is practically grainless and even the smallest detail is visible and clearly pops in and out of focus. Furthermore, it has an extremely fine grid etched into the glass. The grid is so fine that it does not interfere at all when looking at the full image, yet it has enough lines in it to make it extremely useful for composing and leveling."

Alpa list the glass alone on their site at $250 US.  I'm wondering if I can adapt my Arca groundglass carrier to work with it, having it machined of course for critical focus.  Anybody have this new or even older Alpa screen on hand and can you give me dimensions?

Gracias,

C

Oh there they are on the website... 78mm x 90mm which happens to be very close to the size of the Arca Glass.... interesting.

CBarrett

Alpa Groundglass?
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 07:05:34 pm »

Got the Alpa glass already, thanks to Paul at Optech.  The length looks good but the width is maybe 5mm wider than stock Arca carrier.  I think I'll have the screen trimmed and then the carrier machined for critical focus.

First, I'm jut going to tape the screen on to an empty carrier to compare it's performance to stock.

-C

CBarrett

Alpa Groundglass?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 11:01:29 am »

Alright pixel peepers...

Quick, rough comparison.  The Alpa glass is gaffed onto an empty Arca gg carrier.  It looks like it could really benefit from a fresnel (which Alpa supplies in their kit) and it's definitely on the dark side but the grain is much finer than the Arca Glass and the grid is really REALLY nice.  I also did a capture with my sliding back mounted (which uses a Maxwell Bright Screen).

Geek Info:  Camera 1 Arca F Line 6x9 focused on subject with Rodenstock 135mm Apo-Sironar Digi Wide open.  Camera 2 Arca M Line 2 shooting through Rodenstock 90mm HR F/8.5 @ 1s P65+ ISO 50.

Raws available here: http://christopherbarrett.net/Screen_Test/

There ya go...

I think I'll take a Maxwell screen with a side of Alpa Grid, please.

-C
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 11:29:09 am by CBarrett »
Pages: [1]   Go Up