Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where Do I Install Epson 3880 ICC Profiles?  (Read 18153 times)

Gemmtech

Where Do I Install Epson 3880 ICC Profiles?
« on: November 21, 2009, 06:31:12 pm »

I'm sorry I'm being lazy, But how do I install the Epson 3880 ICC Profiles?  I'm new to MAC and wanted to know where the profiles are?  I guess while I'm at it, where do they go in Vista 64 bit?  Thanks in advance.

duraace

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 06:34:12 pm »

System->Library->ColorSync->Profiles

I've got a 3800 and it's fabulous
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 06:35:22 pm by duraace »

Gemmtech

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 06:54:48 pm »

How come it doesn't show up in lightroom under page setup?  It only shows up on the right side color management "profile"  Why wouldn't the ICC profile be with the other epson profiles?

Gemmtech

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 07:03:33 pm »

Also do you know how to get a black black like an Epson 1280?  I can't seem to figure out how to get a black as deep as from the 1280.

Gary

na goodman

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 08:00:16 pm »

Your 1280 used a dye based ink, your 3880 is pigment. Your black is not going to look as rich a black as your 1280 dye but your pigment ink printer (3880) is much more archival as far as color stability.

Gemmtech

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 11:35:43 pm »

Quote from: na goodman
Your 1280 used a dye based ink, your 3880 is pigment. Your black is not going to look as rich a black as your 1280 dye but your pigment ink printer (3880) is much more archival as far as color stability.

Yes, I do realize that the 1280 is dye based and the 3880 pigment, I've been using pigment and dye printers for years, but I hadn't purchased one of the newer units and I had hoped that pigment finally caught up to dye for color gamut and deep blacks and punchy colors.  I'm wondering if the 7900 is any better?  I am impressed with the lack of bronzing and GD from the 3880.  My first prints left me disappointed, but now I have everything set up correctly the prints are very nice.  

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 03:18:08 am »

Epson default 3880 profiles are not installed in the standard ColorSync directory.  They are kept in a "package" that is located at

YourHardDrive:Library:Printers:EPSON:InkjetPrinter:ICCProfiles:

There you should a file, not sure of the name but it will indicate 3880 ICC profiles.   This is a OS X Package, sort of a special folder type.  If you right click on it you will see a choice to Show Package Contents, once you do that it will show it's contents. Inside that will be a folder called Contents, open that and  you will see one called Resources, and in that you will see the actual Profiles.

There have been occasions where Lightroom won't actually see these profiles because of the way Epson packages them.  One work around is to copy the profiles into the standard profile directory

YourHardDrive:Library:ColorSync:Profiles:

Restart Lightroom and you should now be able to see the profiles.

If you are installing other manufacturers profiles the standard ColorSync folder is the best place for them.

As far as blacks, what paper are you using?  I think the 3880 black on Premium Glossy Paper measures about L 4 ... pretty black.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:20:48 am by Wayne Fox »

Gemmtech

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 08:14:29 am »

Wayne, thanks so much for replying.  I am currently using Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster and Exhibition Fiber and I can not achieve the dark black thay I can with my 1280, I thought I must be doing something wrong, just not sure what?  I have two prints that are basically all black except for a street sign and a tree trunk just barely shows through.  I attached a copy not that actual.  When I edited the print in PS I darkened the image so that the only items that showed were the street sign, the light from the house on the right and the tree truck is very faint, you can see it if you look (on the pint).  That black that is basically 80% of the print is black black using the 1280 and dark gray black from the 3880.  The print version of the image I cleaned up the sign, literally took away the streaks of dirt    What happens with the 3880 is the tree truck is basically blending in to the black background whereas with the 1280 it shows through because of how black the background is.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 07:25:36 pm by Gemmtech »

Sven W

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 11:02:16 am »

Very difficult image to print....hmm.

And you use the right black ink? (photo black)
And proper media-settings?
Have you tried different rendering intents in PS? Perceptual vs Relative w/wo Black P Comp?
Stockholm, Sweden

Gemmtech

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 12:09:49 pm »

Definitely using the correct settings and photo black ink, here's the actual image, you should see the tree trunk, though it's very faint (Dark black-gray).  

"Have you tried different rendering intents in PS? Perceptual vs Relative w/wo Black P Comp?"

No I haven't.  Would I get a blacker black printing as a colored image or B&W using ABW?   I don't understand the difference between Perceptual and Relative?   I know the setting is there but I don't know what they each do?

I'd really like to figure this out since a client of mine wants to buy the print and I want to be able to sell him an archival version, though I can coat the 1280 print and it will be framed behind glass.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:18:37 pm by Gemmtech »

Sven W

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 12:51:10 pm »

Quote from: Gemmtech

"Have you tried different rendering intents in PS? Perceptual vs Relative w/wo Black P Comp?"

No I haven't.  Would I get a blacker black printing as a colored image or B&W using ABW?   I don't understand the difference between Perceptual and Relative?   I know the setting is there but I don't know what they each do?

You can´t get a lower black value than your combo allow ( profile + ink + paper), but you can get another type of separation of values with different rendering intents.
It is how your values in your workingspace(the image) are scaled, or fitted, in to the printerspace(profile).
I use Perceptual when the values in the image is much bigger than the printerspace, and Relative when they are more close or inside the printerspace. Use the Proofing setup in PS or if you've never done that before, buy a copy of LL "From Camera to Print".
Very useful.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:58:05 pm by Sven W »
Stockholm, Sweden

Gemmtech

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 06:43:06 pm »

Quote from: Sven W
You can´t get a lower black value than your combo allow ( profile + ink + paper), but you can get another type of separation of values with different rendering intents.
It is how your values in your workingspace(the image) are scaled, or fitted, in to the printerspace(profile).
I use Perceptual when the values in the image is much bigger than the printerspace, and Relative when they are more close or inside the printerspace. Use the Proofing setup in PS or if you've never done that before, buy a copy of LL "From Camera to Print".
Very useful.

I do use the SP feature at times though not always and I did buy C2P and LR2 Tutorials; I thought they were very well done but not for the advanced user.  I'm pretty good with software and can figure just about anything out.  I admit to being lazy regarding this issue, simply because I wanted to waste as few prints as possible.  I had thought that since a lot of people here are professional photographers and own my printer that they have come across this type of print before and could tell me what to do to achieve my desired result.  

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 08:08:11 pm »

Quote from: Gemmtech
You will get a darker black using the Epson ABW print driver.  See Eric Chan's website for details on the Epson 3800 and B&W printing (it is equally applicable to the 3880).  I have the 2880 and there is a visual difference between B&W prints from the ABW driver.  Since I never used a dye printer, I can't tell you whether the black will be as good as your old printer gave you.  However, the black is now pigment based and will resist fading much better than a dye based print.
Pages: [1]   Go Up