Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profiling problem with Z3100  (Read 4860 times)

jorm

Profiling problem with Z3100
« on: November 21, 2009, 05:03:13 pm »

Dear sirs

Recently i noticed that my prints on the Z3100 where turning a bit green and  to dark, i reprofiled the paper (epson Luster 260gr) and still  are pictures to dark and a to green, i will have to make corrections in the driver but this is something i have never had to do before, so my feeling is that the colorimeter of the Z3100 is giving me wrong color, is that possible?

Has anyone experienced same problem, with Z3100.

Im using Qimage for printing

Best regards
Jens

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 07:02:01 pm »

Quote from: jorm
Dear sirs

Recently i noticed that my prints on the Z3100 where turning a bit green and  to dark, i reprofiled the paper (epson Luster 260gr) and still  are pictures to dark and a to green, i will have to make corrections in the driver but this is something i have never had to do before, so my feeling is that the colorimeter of the Z3100 is giving me wrong color, is that possible?

Has anyone experienced same problem, with Z3100.

Im using Qimage for printing

Best regards
Jens

Haven't had the problem yet. I've been wondering whether the ink overspray seen from the Z3100 won't eventually affect the on-board spectro, because of ink crud collecting on its lens, but I haven't seen it on my machine.

You might try using HP's professional satin profile for the Epson Luster paper; they were an extremely close match when I compared them.

dajaka

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 08:25:51 pm »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Haven't had the problem yet. I've been wondering whether the ink overspray seen from the Z3100 won't eventually affect the on-board spectro, because of ink crud collecting on its lens, but I haven't seen it on my machine.

You might try using HP's professional satin profile for the Epson Luster paper; they were an extremely close match when I compared them.

There is a little cover on the spectro that protects it when it's not in use. The lens is only exposed while taking readings.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 09:41:10 am »

Quote from: dajaka
There is a little cover on the spectro that protects it when it's not in use. The lens is only exposed while taking readings.

Ah, those clever engineers, God bless 'em.

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 12:25:28 pm »

Jens,

I assume that your monitor has been recently calibrated and profiled and that you're using the correct ICC profile in Qimage.  I often forget to specify the correct profile when changing papers or re-profiling.

Have you by chance changed rendering intents in Qimage?
Regards,
Ron

jorm

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 06:41:47 pm »

Quote from: rdonson
Jens,

I assume that your monitor has been recently calibrated and profiled and that you're using the correct ICC profile in Qimage.  I often forget to specify the correct profile when changing papers or re-profiling.

Have you by chance changed rendering intents in Qimage?

No i have not calibrated my monitor, can it have some effect on final print the status of my monitor?

Best regards
Jens

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 08:49:58 pm »

If you haven't calibrated or profiled your display, how do you actually know what colors you are trying to print? Very serious question. You absolutely, positively have to be working on a properly calibrated and profiled display, unless you are just using the machine to do nothing other than act as a print server.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

walter.sk

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 08:51:46 pm »

No i have not calibrated my monitor, can it have some effect on final print the status of my monitor?

Best regards
Jens
Definitely.  If the calibration/profile of the monitor is off, your on-screen adjustments will appear correct but the prints will come out different. For example, if the monitor was brighter than you expected, the prints will appear darker.  If there is too much magenta in the monitor and you correct the image to appear neutral it would appear green in the print.  This is an oversimplification, but you get the idea.

jorm

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 04:40:49 pm »

Dear sirs

Im sure now that colorimeter is giving wrong calculations, my workflow is to work on my MacPro with calibrated 33inch monitor, but from there is send it to the PC only to use QIMAGE as i like that very well. i have 2 printers IPF 5100 and HP Z3100, i have always taken very good care of the Z3100 made profiles and calibrated very often and for 2-3 years since i bought it it has been a dream and pictures much better than from the Canon, but lately i noticed that pictures are dark and green i profile it and again and again but alway same result, it must be the printer i know Qimage well and everything is fine there and i use the same settings for the canon and HP and canon is fine but not he HP.

I bet that the colorimeter need calibration, but how is that done? i know you say now why don't he call a HP tech guy, the problem i'm in Iceland and we are small (very small ) country with limited service to these machines so we have to find out things our self.

Im running print service here in Iceland and christmas is coming and i really would like the Z3100 to be in perfect condition for that season.

So i ask again, is it possible to calibrate the colorimeter?

Best regards
Jens

tonywong

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 04:57:40 pm »

Dear sirs

Im sure now that colorimeter is giving wrong calculations, my workflow is to work on my MacPro with calibrated 33inch monitor, but from there is send it to the PC only to use QIMAGE as i like that very well. i have 2 printers IPF 5100 and HP Z3100, i have always taken very good care of the Z3100 made profiles and calibrated very often and for 2-3 years since i bought it it has been a dream and pictures much better than from the Canon, but lately i noticed that pictures are dark and green i profile it and again and again but alway same result, it must be the printer i know Qimage well and everything is fine there and i use the same settings for the canon and HP and canon is fine but not he HP.

I bet that the colorimeter need calibration, but how is that done? i know you say now why don't he call a HP tech guy, the problem i'm in Iceland and we are small (very small ) country with limited service to these machines so we have to find out things our self.

Im running print service here in Iceland and christmas is coming and i really would like the Z3100 to be in perfect condition for that season.

Best regards
Jens

How old is the ink in that printer and have you shaken the cartridges lately?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 05:28:04 pm »

Dear sirs

Best regards
Jens

Jens,

Is this a problem with the Epson Luster only? No viewing light changes either? Conflict between the UV component of that viewing light and the spectrometer not reading UV reflection? The green could be an indication on the other hand it wouldn't give a darker impression.

If all components in your workflow are consistent then in theory you only need to calibrate the printer on a regular base and the old profiles should work like before. If you suspect that the spectrometer is off then it is better to return to the old profile and try to recreate the conditions you get with a proper calibration. For both calibration and profiling the same spectrometer is used but at least you can use the old profile. Calibrate the printer and after that adjust the color with the advanced color tools in the driver using the old profile and a reference image you know well. I know it is not the ideal solution but for the time being it could help.

Whether that Spectrometer is off is hard to tell. There is a Service Manual at the Wiki Z3100 site that may give some information. If the heads + inks no longer deliver the basic print to make the calibration on, one would expect an error message in the calibration phase. If that part is good and the spectrometer doesn't measure correctly the software may compensate a falsely measured high magenta number or low green number too much.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 02:40:37 am »

From the Z2100/Z3100 Service Manual, page 4-36:
"The Color Sensor (ESP) test diagnoses Failures of the Color Sensor located on the carriage. Always run this test before replacing the Color sensor."

A link to the Service Manual is at: http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/Z3100+docs

jorm

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 05:35:26 am »

Dear sirs

Dis this test as descriped in the service manual, and it did FAIL, see picture

Best regards
jens

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 06:05:48 am »

Dear sirs

Dis this test as descriped in the service manual, and it did FAIL, see picture

Best regards
jens

Then you can check whether there are problems like the cover not opening or closing correctly and try to clean the internals.

The solution of recreating a semi-calibrated printer and using the old profiles is for the time being your only option if the above fails.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Thomas Krüger

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 01:58:55 pm »

My Z3100 has also the error 58:11. The Color Sensor (ESP) Calibration can be completed successfully, the Color Sensor shutter opens and the Color Sensor diagnostic test ends with this message:

Error 58:11
FAIL DeltaE out of limits
92.000 > 8

I think the last option would be to clean inside the Color Sensor (Service Manual, page 8-110). There is only one T-10 screw that secures the Color Sensor (ESP) to the Carriage Assembly. Anybody did such a cleaning inside?

jorm

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 04:23:50 pm »

Quote from: ThomasK
My Z3100 has also the error 58:11. The Color Sensor (ESP) Calibration can be completed successfully, the Color Sensor shutter opens and the Color Sensor diagnostic test ends with this message:

Error 58:11
FAIL DeltaE out of limits
92.000 > 8

I think the last option would be to clean inside the Color Sensor (Service Manual, page 8-110). There is only one T-10 screw that secures the Color Sensor (ESP) to the Carriage Assembly. Anybody did such a cleaning inside?

Well, i ordered a new colorimeter and it didn't change anything  all the same, i think it is some error in the software and it will be corrected in future with firmware updates.

jorm

Thomas Krüger

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 07:05:29 am »

Did you get some explanation from HP or Xrite what the parameter "FAIL DeltaE out of limits 92.000 > 8" actually means? Maybe it's possible to check the functionallity of the Colorimeter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up