Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tool for gamut coverage evaluation  (Read 3080 times)

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Tool for gamut coverage evaluation
« on: November 20, 2009, 03:43:19 pm »

I wonder if there's any tool that could calculate the common part of two selected color spaces volume and provide the result in dE^3?
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Pat Herold

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 04:41:34 pm »

Interesting question.  I don't know of a tool that does a comparison of intersecting gamut in a volume sort of way.  ColorThink Pro calculates a rough gamut volume calculation for individual profiles.  You could subtract the smaller from the larger, but that would not necessarily get you a volume amount representing what the two actually share in common.  (It would depend on the size and shape of the profiles.)

How exactly would you want the result to be calculated in dE?  That's a measurement of distance rather than volume.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:42:10 pm by pherold »
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com

lmwacctg

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 04:52:12 pm »

Quote from: Czornyj
I wonder if there's any tool that could calculate the common part of two selected color spaces volume and provide the result in dE^3?

I use a product called GamutVision for my colour analysis work. You might waht to view the webpage to see if it also does what you would like to do.

Don

bjanes

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 06:07:46 pm »

Quote from: pherold
Interesting question.  I don't know of a tool that does a comparison of intersecting gamut in a volume sort of way.  ColorThink Pro calculates a rough gamut volume calculation for individual profiles.  You could subtract the smaller from the larger, but that would not necessarily get you a volume amount representing what the two actually share in common.  (It would depend on the size and shape of the profiles.)

How exactly would you want the result to be calculated in dE?  That's a measurement of distance rather than volume.
ΔE is a distance, but ΔE^3 is a volume. Bruce Lindbloom gives the ΔE^3s for common color spaces on his web site and one could obtain differences by subtraction. Or one could estimate the volume differences from a 3D gamut plot such as provided by Bruce's interactive application or by such commercial programs as Colorthink or Gamutvision. However, the results could be misleading since CIE L*a*b is not as perceptually uniform as it is cracked up to be.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 06:33:58 pm »

Quote from: pherold

I'd like the result to be calculated in cubic dE, just like the gamut volume calculated in ColorThink. Substracting the smaller space volume from larger would take me nowhere, as - like you said - they may have different shapes in L*a*b. I know that gamut volume calculation are not simple, but don't need very precise results - I only wanted to compare my collection of display profiles with some common color spaces, like ISOCoated v2 and so on.

Quote from: lmwacctg
I use a product called GamutVision for my colour analysis work. You might waht to view the webpage to see if it also does what you would like to do.

Don
It's a nice tool, but unfortunatelly it can't do what I meant.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:51:35 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: [1]   Go Up