Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tightening Canvas Print  (Read 4466 times)

gekkardboy

Tightening Canvas Print
« on: November 20, 2009, 03:10:01 pm »

Does anyone have a good suggestion for tightening the canvas prints off an Epson 7600?

I've used water with mixed results, sometimes it will tighten up the canvas just fine. But other times, if too much water is applied, subtle wrinkles appear, especially near the corners. I have not tried canvas tightening spray as it has become increasingly harder to find.

I'm using the Epson Premium Matte canvas. The prints are finished with the Eco Print Shield via spray gun.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Tightening Canvas Print
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 04:07:03 pm »

How large are the prints?  Often on large prints, if not cross braced the actual problem isn't the canvas stretching but the frame sagging in, which sometimes can be remedied with some cross bracing.  Many canvases used for photo printing are made in a way that they really won't "shrink" or stretch out over time, but I'm not familiar with Epson's canvas.  Just depends on the fabric.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Tightening Canvas Print
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 05:41:39 pm »

Have not done much stretching myself but a canvas service I know has often mentioned that the canvases that stretch the easiest sag the most.

Do you have slightly rounded corners on the stretcher bars, canvas can hang up on sharp edges.  I believe the wrinkled corner syndrome is a symptom of the bars themselves warping inwards towards the center, additional bracing bars may be in order.

gekkardboy

Tightening Canvas Print
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 11:39:15 am »

Its the Epson canvas that is made with a blend of cotton and poly and its water resistant. I produce three sizes between 12" x 15" - 20" x 25". Strangely, its the smaller ones that seem to have more sagging problems. I suspect it may be an issues where the canvas just got too wet when I misted the backside to help tighten it up. This paper is very commonly used, but I just started printing on canvas a few months ago, so thought I see what others were experiencing.

What is appropriate size to begin using cross braces?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Tightening Canvas Print
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 02:57:01 pm »

Quote from: gekkardboy
Its the Epson canvas that is made with a blend of cotton and poly and its water resistant. I produce three sizes between 12" x 15" - 20" x 25". Strangely, its the smaller ones that seem to have more sagging problems. I suspect it may be an issues where the canvas just got too wet when I misted the backside to help tighten it up. This paper is very commonly used, but I just started printing on canvas a few months ago, so thought I see what others were experiencing.

What is appropriate size to begin using cross braces?

That depends on the actual frame itself ... there are several types of stretcher moulding.  Easy enough to find out if the frame sagging is causing the issue ... jam something in there and force it open a little bit.

Probably easiest thing would be to re-stretch them.  Sagging can also be from just not getting them tight enough to start with.

gekkardboy

Tightening Canvas Print
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 07:55:06 pm »

I usually staple gun the frames to keep them square. Is this good practice?

So my only option is to stretch the canvas again.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Tightening Canvas Print
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 10:30:14 pm »

We do alot of canvas wraps and put a center bracket in all panos.  Single fames when they exceed 40" any one dimension get a center brace. I get the ocassional floppy canvas and mist a little water on the back and that seems to work. I use the Gallery Stretcher Machine for the stretching which does a good job. I have more of a problem with skinning the ink off of the corners. We think it is from pushing the entire process without everything being properly dried. We are now working with the new Lexjet instant dry canvas and laquer based coatings. We have a spray booth here at the cabinetry shop so hi-solid laquers are the norm around here. We have more interest in short dry times. I want to print,stretch and topcoat in one day,no exceptions. The other canvases and Glamor II just take way too long to dry.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:58:20 am by Dan Berg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up