Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christian Poulson moves on.  (Read 6083 times)

Nick-T

Christian Poulson moves on.
« on: November 19, 2009, 02:50:56 pm »

FYI Christian Poulson has left his position as CEO at Hasselblad. Michael has posted this in What's New:

It was announced today that Christian Poulsen has decided to resign from his position as CEO of Hasselblad. Chairman of the Board, Dr. Larry Hansen will now also serve as Chief Executive Officer.

This follows the recent replacement of Hasselblad USA's President Jack Showalter by Tom Olesen.

I have no editorial stance on these announcements at the moment, but one has to wonder as to the nature of the changes taking place within Hasselblad and their underlaying motivations

I note that Michael has 'no editorial stance" but then goes on to state one

I'm sure many here will use the news as an opportunity to attack Hasselblad as usual and look for negatives in this announcement, however I know that there are a great deal of very positive things happening behind the scenes at Hasselblad.

Nick-T
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:51:37 pm by Nick-T »
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

Streetshooter

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 04:13:59 pm »

Quote from: Nick-T
FYI Christian Poulson has left his position as CEO at Hasselblad. Michael has posted this in What's New:

It was announced today that Christian Poulsen has decided to resign from his position as CEO of Hasselblad. Chairman of the Board, Dr. Larry Hansen will now also serve as Chief Executive Officer.

This follows the recent replacement of Hasselblad USA's President Jack Showalter by Tom Olesen.

I have no editorial stance on these announcements at the moment, but one has to wonder as to the nature of the changes taking place within Hasselblad and their underlaying motivations

I'm sure many here will use the news as an opportunity to attack Hasselblad as usual and look for negatives in this announcement, however I know that there are a great deal of very positive things happening behind the scenes at Hasselblad.

Nick-T

Can you let us know what they are then ?

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:15:08 pm »

Nick-T

I can't imagine that these are good times within any of the medium format manufacturers bottom lines.  And now Leica enters the ring diluting potential sales even more.  Competition is good but I don't see how Hasselblad, Leica, Phase and Mamiya can have profitable operations when the supply grows and the demand (due primarily to the economy) falls.  These next 3 years should be interesting.   Customer service is really going to be King these upcoming years.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 04:15:45 pm »

Does that mean Christian is still there, just stepping down as CEO?

He’s one smart cookie. Too bad about Jack too. He was a very nice guy.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 04:16:58 pm by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

BJL

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 04:32:50 pm »

I'm sure many here will use the news as an opportunity to attack Hasselblad ...
Yes, clearly Paulson has fallen on his sword over his inability to offer a larger rear LCD, or a vertical grip, or some other core MF functionality.

I must say that the dominant tone of the MF users in these forums is dissatisfaction, impatience, cynicism, and bickering, with some defensiveness thrown in. For all I know, this might be for good reasons, but for a dramatic contrast, I suggest taking a break and looking at the m4/3 forum world, where the overall mood in still naive, youthful enthusiasm (lower expectations obviously help!)

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 05:36:12 pm »

I'm sure many here will use the news as an opportunity to attack

Nick-T

Nick,

I don't see any point of looking at "negatives" about Hasselblad.  Every photographer wants and needs this brand to do more than survive, but thrive.

I also don't think you can only blame the state of the economy in regars to  the medium format market, in fact you have to look no further than these forums.

For most of the photographers that love their medium format cameras, that profess the exceptional quality of the files, that stick with a brand like it's a religion, usually those people have not bought new product, in fact most are 2 generations behind and this isn't only with Hasselblad, you can add in Phase, Sinar, Leaf and the Hy6.

Personally it all escapes me and I know there is much more to building one of these cameras than any of us can dream of, but that doesn't change the fact that no matter how much most of us "traditional" photographers are comfortable with a larger camera, the larger cameras have just not kept pace with the development or usability of the more affordable smaller cameras.

It's not fair that all of medium format gets painted with the same brush, but with the recent changes at Leaf, F+H, Sinar/Jenoptik and now a management change at Hasselblad, it doesn't build confidence when you factor in the price of the buy in of the product.

The strange thing is everyone keeps mentioning Leica as the straw that might break the camel's back but as of today Lecia is selling nothing in the medium format world, so I don't see how that is a factor.

Anyway, there is no happiness in learning that anyone has lost their job.

BC

michael

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 05:42:10 pm »

Nick-T

Well, if commenting that the announcement causes me to wonder at what's going on behind the scenes is editorializing, I.....

Oh, forget it.

Michael

Nick-T

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 06:11:37 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
Does that mean Christian is still there, just stepping down as CEO? He’s one smart cookie.

No he's moved on, yes smart guy for sure.
Too bad about Jack too. He was a very nice guy.
Yep jack is one of the good guys.

Nick-T

Nick-T

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 06:12:38 pm »

Quote from: Streetshooter
Can you let us know what they are then ?

Sorry street I'm not at liberty which is why I said "behind the scenes"
Nick-T

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 07:00:46 pm »

Quote from: michael
Well, if commenting that the announcement causes me to wonder at what's going on behind the scenes is editorializing, I.....

Oh, forget it.

Michael

Actually, if it is Michael's site, then one kind of *expects* and indeed welcomes editorializing by Michael when perusing it.

Edmund

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 04:16:24 am »

Quote from: bcooter
Nick,

I don't see any point of looking at "negatives" about Hasselblad.  Every photographer wants and needs this brand to do more than survive, but thrive.

BC
Think positive - They have lowered their overheads, and they might now address the issues about which we existing and potential Hasselblad customers have been frustrated.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

schaubild

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 05:20:45 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Think positive - They have lowered their overheads, and they might now address the issues about which we existing and potential Hasselblad customers have been frustrated.

Could this be the still missing Live View feature on the H3D-50?
Camera delivered (and paid for) Nov '08, waiting time so far one full year! Last promise here on the forum: Oct '09, and it's still advertised on the Hassleblad site. What a shame.

But now everything will get better, won't it?

BJL

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 02:52:28 pm »

FYI Christian Poulson has left his position as CEO at Hasselblad. ...

Let me try to kick-start some speculation. Paulson came from the Imacon side of the Imacon-Hassleblad merger, and thus from the digital back side, which is where most of the money is made these days I suppose. Hansen came to Hasselblad just six months ago, after 26 years at Zeiss, working in particular in Japan and with various Japanese partners. So maybe Hasselbad is interested in
- new blood from outside
- increased partnerships with Japanese firms, which seem to know and do some things better that the European photographic companies
- a renewed emphasis on the optics/camera side of the business, as opposed to "how to build backs using the same Kodak and Dalsa sensors that our MF competitors are also using".

http://www.hasselblad.com/news/hasselblad-...e-chairman.aspx
http://www.imaginginfo.com/web/online/News...man/3$4964
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:53:00 pm by BJL »
Pages: [1]   Go Up