Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: autumn sun worshipper  (Read 2648 times)

John R

autumn sun worshipper
« on: November 18, 2009, 08:33:16 pm »

Someone sat down on the bench at High Park facing the pond. I took no notice until the water started glittering, then I realized I could shoot an effective silhouette. This is the result, slightly cropped. I like the feel of it.

JMR

Ishmael.

autumn sun worshipper
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:05:08 pm »

Great image. I like the use of negative space to emphasize the subject....for me it creates a strong mood of loneliness. Also, the sparkle in the water does a good job of leading into the person's silhouette  The only thing I would say is that I'd like the subject to be a bit more to the right inside the frame, but that may be a matter of personal taste rather than technical error.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
autumn sun worshipper
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 02:40:16 am »

Quote from: Ishmael.
Great image. I like the use of negative space to emphasize the subject....for me it creates a strong mood of loneliness. Also, the sparkle in the water does a good job of leading into the person's silhouette  The only thing I would say is that I'd like the subject to be a bit more to the right inside the frame, but that may be a matter of personal taste rather than technical error.

I agree.  Really well done, and although we need not necessarily follow the 'rule of thirds', as it is this image seems a little off-balance to me.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
autumn sun worshipper
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 03:39:15 am »

Quote from: John R
Someone sat down on the bench at High Park facing the pond. I took no notice until the water started glittering, then I realized I could shoot an effective silhouette. This is the result, slightly cropped. I like the feel of it.

JMR
It works very well. I might crop off the last upright on the right of the shot, but other than that, I'd leave it entirely alone. Beautiful.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
autumn sun worshipper
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 11:54:36 am »

John, Great shot. I like it. Looks as if you got your camera fixed.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

John R

autumn sun worshipper
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 05:34:07 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
I agree.  Really well done, and although we need not necessarily follow the 'rule of thirds', as it is this image seems a little off-balance to me.

Mike.
Hey Mike and Ishmael, thanks for the comments. The image does tend to tug the view back and forth and I am studying the effect for now. I cropped a top black portion, which I didn't even see in the viewfinder. That's why I like a 100% viewfinder, so that cropping can be kept to a minimum. I am still contemplating trading my K10 for the K7, which does have 100% viewfinder.

JMR

John R

autumn sun worshipper
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 05:35:50 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
It works very well. I might crop off the last upright on the right of the shot, but other than that, I'd leave it entirely alone. Beautiful.

Jeremy
I will examine your suggestion, but it was quick shot before the wind stopped blowing and others came on board.

JMR

John R

autumn sun worshipper
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 05:39:25 pm »

Quote from: RSL
John, Great shot. I like it. Looks as if you got your camera fixed.
Now, now, we all know you like people and street images above all else. I learned an old expression when I was in a camera club, which I think also applies to different kinds of photography, "simplicity without monotony; variety without confusion." I won't soon forget that rather profound axiom.

JMR

mattpallante

autumn sun worshipper
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 05:58:23 pm »

It just sings...nice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up