Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phocus & the new iMac i7  (Read 1230 times)

Barry Goyette

Phocus & the new iMac i7
« on: November 18, 2009, 03:25:48 pm »

We use an iMac on the studio floor, as it's a small and convenient tethering computer, and for the most part it works well...although if we get too many images in a folder, things can get a bit dodgy. Over the past couple of days there have been a few benchmark articles about the new i7 processor version of the iMac, and it seems to suggest some pretty impressive performance gains. From Gizmodo:

"In short, any task we tried that expressly was written to either a) take advantage of multiple cores, or,  take advantage of multiple cores through Snow Leopard's multicore middleware, Grand Central Dispatch, were 2 to 3 times faster."

Later on in the article, in a comparison of single threaded applications, the i7 seemed comparable in speed to it's higher clocked core 2 duo brethren, not really much faster.

So my question is to anyone that's a bigger geek than I...is phocus going to take advantage of these aspects of the new iMac i7?

Barry

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Phocus & the new iMac i7
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 04:14:48 pm »

It does so on my MacPro, based on that I would assume it will also do so on the iMac7. Even with an 8-core new MacPro with 12Gb and 3 striped drives I feel I want more speed
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:16:47 pm by Dustbak »

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
Phocus & the new iMac i7
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:17:24 pm »

I'm more interested in whether the 27" screen is easy calibrate and accurate.  I have a Dual 3.0 GHz Duo Mac Pro (ie 4 x 3.0 GHz) from '07 (667 MHz buss) with a Apple 30".  The benchmarks on the 2.8 GHz Quad iMac look to be ~2X faster than my Mac Pro.  I think I can live the iMac CPU performance, but I'm really worried about giving up the 30" display for the 27" glossy display.  I have a new 17" Macbook Pro and its backlit LED display is really sensitive to off axis viewing.  If the iMac screens are similar in nature, that would be a deal breaker for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up