Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 2  (Read 2423 times)

Colin Smale

• http://WWW.FOTOLINCS
Lightroom 2
« on: November 18, 2009, 12:40:22 pm »

I looked for some blogs that might address this problem and I see I am not suffering on my own by a long way !  
Using Lightroom 2 and not changing defaults at all, my pics from my D3 look ok for a few seconds and then pop to almost a full stop over exposed with a colour cast towards the red.
I have been trying to fix this for weeks, I thought I must have omitted to tick/untick a box but this seems to be a common fault and the only way to deal with it is to reduce the brightness and adjust the colours, on each pic or read some 'papers' that might take me hours/days/weeks. I didn't purchase this programme to spend weeks reading about it.
I found the trial programme was just the same but I thought it was me not understanding 'something'.

So are we guinea pigs ironing out LR problems or has someone found an answer?  I was hoping I simply needed to tick a box for "D3" and all would be fine !

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Lightroom 2
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 01:10:05 pm »

Colin

As I understand it, LR uses the jpeg preview attached to the picture file when it first shows the thumbnails on screen.  It then goes on and produces higher resolution previews from the RAW files ( I am assuming you are shooting in RAW).  Are you shooting in auto white balance, or have you selected a particular setting?  The odd thing is the fact that the previews are ok, but then they look greatly over exposed.  It is not a problem I have ever had with the numerous cameras I use, albeit none of them Nikon.

Although I am sure another forum member might come along soon and answer your problem, in the meantime it is not necessary to individually adjust each picture in turn.  If all the pictures in a batch are say over exposed, just adjust the first one, then select the whole batch and hit the Synchronise button at the bottom right of the screen (in Develop module).  You can then select which parameters you wish to adjust on all the other pictures to match the first one.

I should also say that though I have been using LR since it's launch nearly two years ago, I am still learning new ways of using it every week.  You might also just need to read a bit about it a bit, and believe me I have spent many hours learning the programme!

Good luck

Jim
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:48:42 pm by Jim Pascoe »

Jeremy Payne

Lightroom 2
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 01:15:27 pm »

Sounds like you need to start at the beginning ...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/LR2.shtml

DarkPenguin

Lightroom 2
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 01:18:24 pm »

I think you should shoot JPEG.

eliedinur

Lightroom 2
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 05:40:47 pm »

I didn't purchase this programme to spend weeks reading about it.

"I didn't purchase this programme to spend weeks learning how to use it."

If you don't like the LR defaults, set up your own. It's easily done and reading how shouldn't take you even a week.

Set up the Develop module the way you like it, everything on it, and then press and hold Alt. The Reset button at the bottom-right will change to Set Default. Click on it. How long did that take?

BTW, I wonder about that title "imports display not as shot." How do you know how they were shot? By viewing the firmware processed display jpg?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:45:19 pm by elied »
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

tokengirl

Lightroom 2
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 12:18:01 pm »

The images you see on your LCD screen are not the RAW files, but a jpeg preview of that RAW file with whatever picture style you have applied in your camera.  Those picture styles are proprietary to the camera manufacturer, they are not universal.  The RAW file itself does not have that picture style, and it will not appear in Lightroom automatically.

If you want to see your photos looking the same as the preview on your LCD screen, you have three choices:

1.  Use the RAW converter supplied by your camera manufacturer.  It will automatically recognize your camera's picture styles.

2.  Learn to use Lightroom as it was intended to be used, and create your own presets which you can save for future use.

3.  Read the following link and download the profiles:  http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles
     Once you have them installed, you can apply them to your photos in Lightroom.

Hope this helps.

Colin Smale

• http://WWW.FOTOLINCS
Lightroom 2
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 05:27:54 pm »

Hi guys (& gals)

Many thanx for your replies, I wont get a chance to do anything until the weekend but I have just been loaned a DVD tutorial on Lightroom so I will have to work my way through that.

I will also look carefully at the various links you have sent and hopefully all should be well. I spoke to someone tonight who is a lightroom 'swot' and she says her raws open as seen on her camera screen or as I like to describe it "as shot" and so should mine.

Who was it suggested I shoot in jpeg    I hope he was pulling my leg.

Jeremy Payne

Lightroom 2
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 05:38:33 pm »

Quote from: Colin Smale
Hi guys (& gals)

Many thanx for your replies, I wont get a chance to do anything until the weekend but I have just been loaned a DVD tutorial on Lightroom so I will have to work my way through that.

I will also look carefully at the various links you have sent and hopefully all should be well. I spoke to someone tonight who is a lightroom 'swot' and she says her raws open as seen on her camera screen or as I like to describe it "as shot" and so should mine.

Who was it suggested I shoot in jpeg    I hope he was pulling my leg.

Sorry ... your 'friend' gave you bum advice ... you should not expect the default slider settings in LR to look like the jpeg rendering from the camera.  The defaults are meant to be a starting point and the camera's jpeg is a 'finished' image.

The suggestion to shoot in jpeg isn't a bad one ... please don't take offense, but you don't seem to understand RAW workflow.  If you want the image to look like what you saw when you chimped the LCD, then you want the in-camera JPEG.

But going back to the original question about RAW and LR ... Let's start with first principles ... why are you shooting RAW?  What do you expect that to do for you?
Pages: [1]   Go Up