Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert MOS to DNG and image quality?  (Read 3928 times)

evgeny

Convert MOS to DNG and image quality?
« on: November 18, 2009, 05:38:07 am »

Hi.

When I simply export Leaf's MOS files to TIF in Leaf Capture, the TIF images look sharp with tiny details.

I just wanted to change my workflow to use/keep DNG instead of MOS, and be able to edit DNG.

So, I opened MOS in Camera RAW and saved it as a DNG.
I noticed that in Camera RAW (without any editing) images look blurred, flattened with less details and dynamic range.

I use Leaf Capture 11.2.9 and CS4 / Camera RAW 5.5.

Can anyone advice how to convert MOS to DNG without degradation of image quality?

Thanks
EVgeny

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 07:12:54 am »

Quote from: evgeny
Hi.

When I simply export Leaf's MOS files to TIF in Leaf Capture, the TIF images look sharp with tiny details.

I just wanted to change my workflow to use/keep DNG instead of MOS, and be able to edit DNG.

So, I opened MOS in Camera RAW and saved it as a DNG.
I noticed that in Camera RAW (without any editing) images look blurred, flattened with less details and dynamic range.

I use Leaf Capture 11.2.9 and CS4 / Camera RAW 5.5.

Can anyone advice how to convert MOS to DNG without degradation of image quality?

Thanks
EVgeny

Evegey you can try opening a mos and a DNG files side-by-side in ACR/ LR and you will notice that there is no difference. Any degradation that you are seeing comes from ACR's processing engine which is different to the one in Leaf Capture.

So bar some specific archiving requirement you can continue to work with the mos files directly in LR or ACR

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

evgeny

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:51:39 am »

Quote from: yaya
Evegey you can try opening a mos and a DNG files side-by-side in ACR/ LR and you will notice that there is no difference. Any degradation that you are seeing comes from ACR's processing engine which is different to the one in Leaf Capture.

So bar some specific archiving requirement you can continue to work with the mos files directly in LR or ACR

Yair

Yair, thank you for reply.
If I understand correctly what happened

1. MOS=DNG after conversion in ACR. Well, I almost agree/see it.
2. TIF exported from LC looks better than the MOS/DNG, because it was auto corrected in LC using default settings.

Is that right?

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 11:09:19 am »

Evgeny

I think, basically, what Yair is saying is that the Leaf Capture will extract more fine detail from your .MOS file than the
same file processed in the current Adobe options regardless of whether you process out a .MOS or the same file converted to DNG.

You should also look at the free beta version of Lightroom 3.  I think you will see some improvements when compared to earlier versions of LR

evgeny

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:16:38 pm »

Quote from: mtomalty
I think, basically, what Yair is saying is that the Leaf Capture will extract more fine detail from your .MOS file than the
same file processed in the current Adobe options regardless of whether you process out a .MOS or the same file converted to DNG.

I found ACR a much better tool for fine turning RAW files. I especially like a Gry Garness "Retouching" workflow in ACR. I'm unable to do in LC what I can easily do in ACR. I prefer to manage one DNG file instead of pairs of MOS/XMP. There more can be said..
Pages: [1]   Go Up