Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samples variation for Canon EF 24 f/1.4 L II and EF 85 f/1.2 L II  (Read 4467 times)

Chris13

Hello all
I plan to but these two lenses during a trip at NY (I'm not a citizen US).
Testing these lenses at the store (B&H) would not be easy I presume.
So do you know if there are some issues with these lenses regarding samples variation?
I heard about issues with some zoom lenses (24-70 for example)
So I'd like to knwo about these 2 fantastic primes: maybe quality control is higher but I really don't know.
Thanks

Chris Pollock

Samples variation for Canon EF 24 f/1.4 L II and EF 85 f/1.2 L II
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 05:10:03 am »

I've got a 24mm F1.4 II which is fine as far as I can tell. My Results with it agree with what I've seen in reviews (there's a good one at diglloyd.com, although it's a subscription site), and it's noticably superior to my 24-70, which isn't a bad lens itself. At F8 it's sharp all the way into the corners, and even at F1.4 the centre is sharp. There is a noticable amount of chromatic aberration, but it can easily be removed by Adobe Camera Raw. On the other hand, the lens is very expensive, so it's hard to recommend unless you need to shoot faster than F2.8, or you're willing to pay a premium for a little extra picture quality.

I think you're right that it would be hard to test them in the store. Doing it properly would require shooting multiple shots on a tripod at various apertures and subject distances, with mirror lock-up, careful focusing, etc. The only advice I can give is to buy the lenses, thoroughly test them, and return them if you're not happy. Alternately you could send them to Canon for recalibration or repairs - they should come with international warranties.

So far as I know I've never got a "bad sample" of a Canon lens, but I recently bought a Nikon 14-24 which was decidedly mediocre. I've sent it back to Nikon for servicing. I only hope that they fix the problem, and that I get it back in time for a trip to Japan that I've got planned for next month.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:11:02 am by Chris Pollock »

stever

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 09:52:50 am »

although i don't have experience with these 2 lenses, my experience with Canon L primes has been vary good (and i've tested and compared samples)

testing these two lenses thoroughly will be pretty time consuming, and not practical in-store (however B&H has a 15 day return policy)

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 03:03:56 am »

For what is worth, I'm sending back my Zeiss 21mm ZE for a replacement to B&H. ... and I live down in NZ.

I must say, so far B&H have been really good to deal with.

A right pain in the @#$%!

Chris13

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 05:55:45 am »

Quote from: DaveDn
For what is worth, I'm sending back my Zeiss 21mm ZE for a replacement to B&H. ... and I live down in NZ.

I must say, so far B&H have been really good to deal with.

A right pain in the @#$%!

Did you have to justify the replacement?
Aldo what about costs for the replacement?
Thanks

Chris Pollock

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 06:17:09 am »

Quote from: DaveDn
I thought Zeiss were supposed to test every lens before they shipped it. Don't tell me their quality control is lacking too...

What was wrong with the lens?

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 01:44:41 pm »

The lens is consistenly soft on the right hand side. Or more precisely the upper right hand side focuses slightly back. The rest of the field is brilliant. Tack sharp. None of my other wides show this so it's not a sensor or lens mount alignment problem.

Ive only had the lens a few days. B&H will swap is for another. No charge of course.

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 09:16:27 pm »

Quote from: Chris13
Hello all
So do you know if there are some issues with these lenses regarding samples variation?
So I'd like to knwo about these 2 fantastic primes: maybe quality control is higher but I really don't know.
Thanks

I recently purchased the new 24mm TS-E, which is an L lens.  Optically, the lens is excellent, but the focusing mechanism was full of grit. Imagine that, in a brand new lens!

Since B & H did not have any in stock at the time for replacement, I opted to send it to Canon for cleaning.

They cleaned out the grit, but then set the infinity focus stop WAY past infinity.

The lens is once again with Canon to fix the new problem they created while fixing the old problem.

I never had problems with Canon quality in the past. I have seven of their lenses and none of them have had any problems. But now, there are not only problems with their manufacturing, but with their service as well.

So, never buy a Canon lens you cannot return to the seller for replacement.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:17:06 pm by spotmeter »

KETCHROSSI

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 07:59:26 pm »

I mast say that after over twenty years been a Canon shooter I have shot with just about every lens ever made by Canon, and I have also shot with many other lenses from Zeiss, as I'm also a Filmmaker, I have used them both on Digital Cinema cameras like the RED ONE, as well as use them on my Canon cameras with adaptors.

I try to avoid zooms all together, even so I must say that lately the zooms are getting very good, but still not as good as primes.

Quality issues have been experienced in various lenses, and both Canon and Zeiss, have had their share of returns, more so Canon, I guess as they are getting bigger and bigger and their sales going in much higher number their mass production of lenses, and service facilities have to deal with, and I think that it is an absolute must to purchase a lens only if you can return for replacement of =r a refund, incase of purchasing it used form andy of the forums.

I agree that is difficult and time consuming to test each lens, but unfortunately has become a necessity, at list for me as a Pro shooter, you don't want to take the gear to a job to find out the all of your pictures are not good, do to extreme corner softness, or a lens being de-centered, or what else, which have now caused issues and problems in your work, some of which could be fixed, but giving added work to do, or even not fixable literally screwing up your day.. or two.. or many more depending on how long will take for a replacement, and now that you have experienced first hand the issue in quality control you will think two times over before taking a lens for granted, not all lenses are created equal, unfortunately is the true, so test them out.

francois

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 03:25:53 am »

Quote from: Chris13
Hello all
Thanks
I would test the lenses at B&H and ask for their return policy. If you stay a few days in New York you could easily return them if you not satisfied.
Francois

futura

• http://www.andrew-chang.com
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 06:23:50 pm »

I was in NYC about two years back and went to B&H to get a 35mm 1.4 lens. Although I wasn't able to do any controlled tests, I ended up not being happy with my first copy and the store replaced it, no questions asked. I was not able to test the lens in the section of the store however there is a waiting area by the exit where you might have an opportunity to test out the lens. Went through another copy which was better but not quite up to exception and in the end decided I wouldn't chance a third plumping for a 50 1.2 instead (turned out to be sharper at 1.2 than the 35's tested at 1.4). Anyway overall I was really happy with the service and the shopping experience was fantastic.

Regarding the 85mm - I had mine for about a year and was not really happy with it wide open, I sent it to Canon uk and was really happy with the re-calibration.

Chris13

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 04:35:47 am »

Quote from: futura
I was in NYC about two years back and went to B&H to get a 35mm 1.4 lens. Although I wasn't able to do any controlled tests, I ended up not being happy with my first copy and the store replaced it, no questions asked. I was not able to test the lens in the section of the store however there is a waiting area by the exit where you might have an opportunity to test out the lens. Went through another copy which was better but not quite up to exception and in the end decided I wouldn't chance a third plumping for a 50 1.2 instead (turned out to be sharper at 1.2 than the 35's tested at 1.4). Anyway overall I was really happy with the service and the shopping experience was fantastic.

Regarding the 85mm - I had mine for about a year and was not really happy with it wide open, I sent it to Canon uk and was really happy with the re-calibration.

Thank you for your feedback.
About 85mm: did you use micro adjustments before sending it to Canon (if your body allow it)? how did you justify the return of this lens to Canon?
About your experience with the 35mm @1.4: maybe you were expecting too much? did you see a quality problem (like left corner sharpness vs right corner sharpness for example) or just the center sharpness was not enough for your needs?
Pages: [1]   Go Up