Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: If all digital cams died, would you continue with film?  (Read 14280 times)

DanielStone

If all digital cams died, would you continue with film?
« on: November 17, 2009, 08:49:39 pm »

just a topic I thought of recently...

If for some reason, all digital cameras, including scan backs, point and shoots, dslr's, m/f backs, etc were to die and not turn on with no chance of repair, and new stock didn't work either,

would you continue with photography, but ONLY with film?

would YOU???

I'm not looking to argue here,

just interested in finding out if the gear actually drives people to take photographs, or the pure love of photography would cause you to turn back to the 'old medium'.

-Dan

CBarrett

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:52:54 pm »

I spent 12 years shooting interiors on EPN.  Man I hate that film!  Then again, I have a Howtek 4500 in the basement and every once in a while I fancy buying a Canham 4 x 10!  Actually, I do have a 4x5 conversion kit for the Arca.  Hmm....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:59:26 pm by CBarrett »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:56:38 pm »

I love photography and learned off of a Toyo View 4x5 camera using TXP 320 and Velvia 50, so if a solar flair or something came along and destroyed everything digital, I would go back to film.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:57:54 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

telyt

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 08:59:19 pm »

Quote from: DanielStone
If for some reason, all digital cameras, including scan backs, point and shoots, dslr's, m/f backs, etc were to die and not turn on with no chance of repair, and new stock didn't work either,

Yes.  I still have my Leicaflex SL and Nikon F2 bodies, and lenses for them.  I'd dust them off & keep working, and look for a Contax 645 & Zeiss 350mm Tele-Apotessar.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 09:05:06 pm »

In your scenario, I would hope that we'd have the rich selection of films, papers, and developers we had 20 years ago and not today's meager offerings. I believe I would go back to film, even though ot was weariness with darkroom work that drove me away from it.

CBarrett

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 09:08:33 pm »

Doesn't Tri-X have the most amazing grain?!  So organic!  Comparing Tri-X to T-Max is like a really good turntable against a cd player....

Tri-X 135 in a Leica CL with 35mm lens.  Scanned on the Howtek.

Williamson Images

• http://www.williamsonimages.com
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 09:27:13 pm »

I would pick up my film leicas and my 6x17 and only shoot B&W from then on -  tri-x 400 or bust.

It would be a sad day for me as I enjoy my digital workflow so much.    

Robb

-------------------------
Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 09:45:01 pm »

Perhaps more realistic to turn that question around ...
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 10:21:48 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
Doesn't Tri-X have the most amazing grain?!  So organic!  Comparing Tri-X to T-Max is like a really good turntable against a cd player....

Tri-X 135 in a Leica CL with 35mm lens.  Scanned on the Howtek.
Tri-X is such an amazing film, the grain is great, and it can be shot so many different ways.  When shooting for silver prints I shot it at 50 ISO and pulled the processing by 20% in Microdal.  When shooting for Platinum, I would rate it at 250 and push process it 10% in HC-110.  And that is just me, it seemed every photographer I met had a different way using it and they all worked (as long as the photographer was good).  I have been considering for a while shooting with the 4x5, developing the film in my Bathroom and making an under the bad UV lamp for platinum prints, just need to get the money for the platinum now.

Ahh, is it not so great to work in B/W and not have to worry about things like color temp, color fringe, color hue, color cast...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:28:49 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

DanielStone

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 10:41:24 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
I spent 12 years shooting interiors on EPN.  Man I hate that film!  Then again, I have a Howtek 4500 in the basement and every once in a while I fancy buying a Canham 4 x 10!  Actually, I do have a 4x5 conversion kit for the Arca.  Hmm....

Chris,

did you ever try the Fuji Provia? I really like that film.... albeit, the small amount of EPN I've shot since it was discontinued was quite nice. I have a stash of 4x5 EPR (ektachrome 64) sitting in the fridge, so I need to shoot it up sometime soon. probably has a color cast though.

to all others....

I posted this topic just as a gig to see if anyone, and if anyone, how many would continue with their work.

I forgot to add though: YOU CAN HAVE A DIGITAL WORKFLOW, JUST NO DIGITAL CAMERAS[/u] film scanners and computers are ok, but a completely analog capture medium is what I meant as a starting point. Grain, not pixels and 16bit,8bit, etc....)[/b]

so Chris, you can keep using that Howtek .

-Dan
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:41:51 pm by DanielStone »

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 10:44:20 pm »

Duhh... of course  

I love photography ... not the gizmo that makes the picture.
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 11:26:38 pm »

I shoot film all the time both 35mm and 645. Typically on assignments I will shot digital with one camera and switch back and forth with a film camera, more often than not with my Mamiya 645 AFDII. In the last year or so I even shot an assignment with my Contax G1 loaded with Tri-X. It is not a matter of film or digital for me, it is a different look and feel.
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 11:31:23 pm »

just interested in finding out if the gear actually drives people to take photographs, or the pure love of photography would cause you to turn back to the 'old medium'.

What would hurt me most would the disapearance of the digital workflow.

If I can scan film and keep enough control on the whole chain, then film would not be a major problem for me.

Cheers,
Bernard

Professional

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 12:14:23 am »

Hi,
I am new to photography and i am late in film world, i just spent on many digital cameras from point and shoot to a medium format all completely digital, just about 2 months ago i went out and bought 2 film cameras [medium format], why i do that? because i love photography and i know many many of you grew up with film before using digital and how i always hear about how great film photography is even now digital didn't reach some areas in film, so that i decided that i will try to use film and see what i can do in that world, i bought many different film [120] color and B&W to use with those film camera, i am thinking even to buy a reasonable scanner to do my own workflow as many labs here don't develop film anymore.
So as the time all or many people going to digital side i go the opposite side, not saying i will not use digital, and even if i will digitalize those film again it doesn't mean i should never try or use film, at least i want to be a true photographer if i will use a film, i know i will get nothing to use any camera digital or film but i spent and do all that just to have fun and at least to get respect from other photographers towards me i wish.

Professional

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 12:36:54 am »

Also as long it is about film here, can some people recommend me about film to use with those cameras?

For now i have the following to try sooner or later i hope:

Fuji Velvia 50 & 100
Fuji Neaopan 100
Fuji Pro 160S  [220 only]
Kodak T-max 320
Kodak T-max 100
Ilford Delta 3200
Ilford PANF Plus 50
Kodak Porta 160 and 400 NC
Kodak Ektar 100
Rollei Retro 100

Anything else i should look at or any recommendations?

capital

• Website
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 12:53:18 am »

"Anything else i should look at or any recommendations?"

I think Kodak's E100VS slide film is very nice, I think I prefer it to Fuji's Velvia 50. On a technical note, the E100VS reciprocity failure sets in after 10 seconds, which is a little bit better than Velvia 50.

And if you can still find it in your area, there is also Scala B&W Transparency film.

Professional

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 01:04:19 am »

Quote from: capital
"Anything else i should look at or any recommendations?"

I think Kodak's E100VS slide film is very nice, I think I prefer it to Fuji's Velvia 50. On a technical note, the E100VS reciprocity failure sets in after 10 seconds, which is a little bit better than Velvia 50.

And if you can still find it in your area, there is also Scala B&W Transparency film.

Ah cool, i will look at those films, thank you very much!

Terence h

• Terence Hogben Photography
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 01:22:10 am »

Hello all i think i would be wonderful , the number of aspiring photographers would drop
dramatically , business would pick up.

Just imagine the questions on all the forums.

Dust off my Sinar  4x5 and carry on as normal , well nearly !

Would hate to be reliant on the labs as before , think i would shoot neg process and scan in house.

Now you have us dreaming of the good old days :-)

Regards
Terence
Terence Hogben. Durban. South Africa. ht

sinar444

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 05:17:25 am »

would YOU???

-Dan

Can you arrange this? My definite answer is YES!!! I'm using film and digital but I prefer film to digital. Digital is the workhorse because it's much faster but if I want do quality or just taking pictures for fun I use film.

Best regards
Istvan

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 05:33:30 am »

would YOU???

-Dan

great idea.
yes. ofcourse. would try to get back from MFHA my scanmate 5000 and love it ...
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up