Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a waterproof modular carrying system  (Read 2351 times)

skippy50

Looking for a waterproof modular carrying system
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:59:39 pm »

When hiking I like to carry my camera in a camera pouch attached to the shoulder straps of back pack.  My current system works fine for a body with lens attached, but, I’m looking to upgrade to a waterproof modular system that would allow me to carry a small DSLR body w/lens plus another lens.  This would allow more convenient switching between a wide angle and a telephoto lens.  

I am aware of Kinesis & Lowepro but am looking for something that is more waterproof.   Any suggestions?

Current camera is Rebel XTI w/ 17-55 F2.8 IS & 75-300 IS.  Budgeting for a 7D in the spring.

jdemott

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:09:12 am »

You can find a variety of waterproof and/or water-resistant stuff sacks at REI or other outdoor stores.  The Ultra-Sil Dry Sack is waterproof and very lightweight.  I find that using waterproof sacks works well when I want to carry just a few items of photo gear in a conventional backpack.  If you want to carry an entire camera system (4+ lenses, flash unit, spare batteries, cords, accessories, etc) then your best bet is probably something from LowePro or one of the other specialty manufacturers of photo packs.  I have two LowePro packs that are pretty good for hiking in the rain--I think they also make a line of packs that are advertised as truly waterproof (i.e., able to be immersed) but I haven't used one.
John DeMott

Hank

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 01:30:41 pm »

My favorite, and by far the most effective I've found is pretty basic.  Ziploc bags.  The gallon size is plenty big for a body with shorter lenses attached, and the 2-gallon size will seal over a body with lenses up through 300 f/4 attached.  Put the bagged camera and lens in whichever carry bag suits your needs, and always carry spare ziplocs in your kit.

For waterproof shooting even on a tripod, add a lens hood, pull the bag over the lens and body, then cut off the lower corner of the bag just large enough to allow the lens hood to fit through.  Snap a rubber band around hole in the bag to attach it to the hood, and fire away.  The 2-gallon size is large enough for your hands to reach in and manipulate the camera, meanwhile the back of the bag is tall enough to serve as a hood over the rear body face. Between shooting sessions, zip the seal and snap on a lens.

Nice to find something so very cheap, compact and effective.  May look like hell, but not as bad as a wet camera in a shipping box headed for repairs.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:31:40 pm by Hank »

kielinski

• Kielinski Photographers
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 01:58:05 pm »

Not exactly answering your question but here's a gear bag that I wouldn't mind having.  Waterproof save for the zipper.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/gr...g?p=48251-0-950

stever

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 02:53:55 pm »

do you really want a waterproof bag, or one like Lowepro with a rain cover?  I prefer Thinktank to Lowepro and would be concerned about condensation using something truly waterproof.

jd1566

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 06:11:43 am »

Hi there,
Your waterproof solution will depend very much on where you are going, i.e. seawater or freshwater.  For seawater I would suggest something pretty serious like pelican case or similar, which gives total waterproofness but is a bit bulky.  I personally use the Lowepro Drizone Rover, which is half backpack for your stuff and half totally waterproof compartment with pull-out camera/lens divider system.  The beauty of this system is that you can for example, kayak to where you want to shoot, get out of your boat, pull out the insert and put it into a shoulder back for easier carry/access shooting.  Then put the insert back into the waterproof compartment of the rover and off you go again.  I find it suits my shooting, carrying style and gives me 99% waterproofness (need to watch out for sand when you close the waterproof zip).  

If you are trecking around fresh water then you can probably get away with a cheaper solution like waterproof duffel bags inside a normal backpack. Remember to put a towel inside for when you want to dry your hands before handling the camera/lenses).

Oh, the Lowepro comes with a hydration pack but it is so small as to be just about useless.. Take it out and use a water bottle instead.  The pack itself is not very user-friendly, basically protects your stuff to and from where you want to go. Once there you need to find a better carrying solution to get at your lenses etc. If you're on a boat I would go for the pellican solution as it's quick to open and close, whereas the Lowepro is a bit fiddly with the heavy zip. When you see a wave coming you need to get your camera protected FAST!

Cheers
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait
Pages: [1]   Go Up