Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Data Storage Options?  (Read 4539 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Data Storage Options?
« on: November 17, 2009, 01:19:09 pm »

Hi all:
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I am having a dilema. Backup of daily working files is not the problem; I have a 750GIG external hard drive (USB), and Synchback backup software--it is excellent. My problem is long tem storage. Initally I used CDs (one on site, the other off site), then DVDs, and now Blu-Ray disks. I use Nero to burn the Blu-Rays, as it allows data addition to previously burned disks. But lately I have had print orders from older stuff, and the Blu-Ray disks were "unreadable or corupted". This meant I had to retrieve the backup disk, and then copy it for reundancy. With 1TB external drives becoming relatively inexpensive, I have been considering buying pairs, and storing each file twice. I would have "external drive #1", and "external drive #1 backup". When these were filled I would buy 2 more. They would become "external drive #2" and "external drive #2 backup" etc.
Anyone use this method? How has it worked out?"
Thanks in advance.  
Dave G

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Data Storage Options?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:01:24 pm »

Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff
Hi all:
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I am having a dilema. Backup of daily working files is not the problem; I have a 750GIG external hard drive (USB), and Synchback backup software--it is excellent. My problem is long tem storage. Initally I used CDs (one on site, the other off site), then DVDs, and now Blu-Ray disks. I use Nero to burn the Blu-Rays, as it allows data addition to previously burned disks. But lately I have had print orders from older stuff, and the Blu-Ray disks were "unreadable or corupted". This meant I had to retrieve the backup disk, and then copy it for reundancy. With 1TB external drives becoming relatively inexpensive, I have been considering buying pairs, and storing each file twice. I would have "external drive #1", and "external drive #1 backup". When these were filled I would buy 2 more. They would become "external drive #2" and "external drive #2 backup" etc.
Thanks in advance.  
Dave G

Well I could not use CDs,DVDs, or BRs. With around 2 TB of finished images it would not make to much sense. So the only choice is HDs. My approach so far is to have 1 main company on my computer and 3 different back ups, on different types of HDs, made from different companies. There is one backup made every week and before that the drive is checked for any errors or problems. In the total rotation every backup disk is used once a month. Each backup is stored in a different place. Perhaps I'm overdoing it, but I could care less, if I lost these images, I probably would jump from a bridge ;-)
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Data Storage Options?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:28:18 pm »

Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff
Hi all:
Thanks in advance.  
Dave G

You might find this useful

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...p;searchbtn.y=0

It's a dock that you plug a bare hard drive into. It makes it very simple to have a rotating set of hard drives that you backup to, with one or more being rotated to an off-site location.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Data Storage Options?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 01:10:49 am »

Thermaltake is one manufacturer: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Products.aspx?C=1346

Newer Tech is another:

http://www.newertech.com/products/voyagerq.php

This one's really simple:

http://www.newertech.com/products/usb2_adapt.php

These would be handy too:

http://www.newertech.com/products/protectadrive.php
http://www.newertech.com/products/protectadrive35.php

No experience with these, but if you have a lot of (individual) drives it probably makes sense.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
Data Storage Options?
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 12:30:23 pm »

I have one of the Newertech Voyagers that OWC sells.  I purchased it when they first came out about a year ago maybe and its been great to have around never a hiccup.

Dave Gurtcheff

Data Storage Options?
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 03:28:50 pm »

Quote from: GregShapps
I have one of the Newertech Voyagers that OWC sells.  I purchased it when they first came out about a year ago maybe and its been great to have around never a hiccup.
Thanks all for the suggestions. My wife and I were in BJ's Warehouse today grocery/provisions shopping, and you won't believe it. They had Toshiba USB external 1 TB drives for 99 dollars. I bought two. Hope it works for me. I will keep a lebeled USB end connection, and power connection on top of my PC tower, and plug in the appropriate drive when it is time to file my photos/records.
Dave

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Data Storage Options?
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 02:30:02 pm »

You’ll get similar results no matter what route you go. The key details are a ) to maintain multiple backups on different drives; b ) with 2 backup drives, when one drive goes bad, replace both drives, but keep the remaining good one on the shelf anyway, just in case; and c ) it’s also a good idea to keep at least one copy of everything stored safely away from home
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:32:30 pm by Justan »

Dave Gurtcheff

Data Storage Options?
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 01:17:26 pm »

Thank You Justin. I keep duplicate copies of my CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays away from home. Presently, now that I am using redundant hard drives for storage, they are both here, which is a bit of a dilema. When they are filled up, of course, I will store one off site. Maybe I should look into a small fire proof safe/strong box?
Thanks all again.
Dave

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Data Storage Options?
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 02:00:07 pm »

Quote from: Justan
You’ll get similar results no matter what route you go. The key details are a ) to maintain multiple backups on different drives; b ) with 2 backup drives, when one drive goes bad, replace both drives, but keep the remaining good one on the shelf anyway, just in case; and c ) it’s also a good idea to keep at least one copy of everything stored safely away from home

Yes, there are three basic reasons to back up - data corruption (i.e. failed hard drive), removal (theft, etc.) and destruction (fire. earthquake, flood).  The latter two are good reasons for off-site storage.  No backup strategy exists for user stupidity, unfortunately.  I could have used that once or twice.

Mike.

mattpallante

Data Storage Options?
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 08:03:38 pm »

No backup strategy exists for user stupidity, unfortunately.  I could have used that once or twice.

But, if you do need any stupidity, I've got lots to spare if you want me to send you some.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Data Storage Options?
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 01:20:21 am »

Quote from: mattpallante
But, if you do need any stupidity, I've got lots to spare if you want me to send you some.

Thanks!  That's very generous of you.  I've got a pretty good supply myself right now, but I'll keep it in mind.

Mike.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Data Storage Options?
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 06:56:21 pm »

If Stupidity could be converted into Electricity, we'd all have free power for life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up