Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100 paper size error  (Read 4715 times)

markdfink

HP Z3100 paper size error
« on: November 17, 2009, 12:17:47 pm »

I recently rebuilt my computer from scratch which cleared up an earlier problem where the paper types on the printer weren't synchronizing with the computer. I now see all my custom calibrated papers in Photoshop! In the process, all my custom paper sizes disappeared. No big deal, they are easy to add back in via the Server Properties.

So, I'm trying to make my first print on the fresh system, created a custom paper (width = 37.00 and height = 71.00) When I choose that paper size in the printer properties setup, I see a message at the bottom that "Paper size selected (width:37.00 inches, height:71.00 inches), is larger than the loaded paper width (width: Unknown). Please verify your printer setup."

I went to the printer properties and only see Letter under the Paper available list. When I click on Printing Preferences I can choose this custom paper size that I created, but I still see the message. In Lightroom, the size of the print looks fine in the Print module, and if I ignore the message and go to print, using the HP Preview option, (which has save me NUMEROUS times!), the print size is correct, but the preview is solid gray. Needless to say, for this large an image, I haven't proceeded any further since I don't want to waste ink.

I was just about to say that if I print from Photoshop, I get the right size paper in the HP Preview, but with a truncated image. However, just now, I tried it again, and everything looked fine. I see the image in the HP Preview as it should look.

Before I ramble on much further, the question I have is how do I fix this paper size error? Maybe I'll post the problem with the HP Preview via Lightroom showing no image - just gray - to the Lightroom forum?

Thanks,

Mark
www.northernlight.net

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 04:19:09 am »

I'm not using Photoshop, Lightroom and HP Preview on my Windows systems so I can not comment on your problem but I think you better take that HP Preview out of the chain. Then check whether the driver settings stick on the selected paper sizes. It could be that for example letter as the default replaces the selected size.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 02:03:54 pm »

Quote from: markdfink
So, I'm trying to make my first print on the fresh system, created a custom paper (width = 37.00 and height = 71.00) When I choose that paper size in the printer properties setup, I see a message at the bottom that "Paper size selected (width:37.00 inches, height:71.00 inches), is larger than the loaded paper width (width: Unknown). Please verify your printer setup."

Mark
www.northernlight.net

I get the same message on my 24" Z3100 if use a defined paper of width: 24.00 inches, height:36 inches.  Its sad that the HP printer driver is so weird.  For the heck of it I even tried it with the HP defined A1 print size and got the same message.  The good news is that it prints as I'd expect.  I don't print from Photoshop.  I print from Qimage and once in a while from Lightroom.  
Regards,
Ron

markdfink

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 02:32:27 pm »

What's weird is that it used to work just fine without any errors before I rebuilt the machine. Still, it prints OK, AND I finally got my papers in the printer to synch with the computer. I'll do some more testing and see if I can figure this one out.

markdfink

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 02:35:15 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
I'm not using Photoshop, Lightroom and HP Preview on my Windows systems so I can not comment on your problem but I think you better take that HP Preview out of the chain. Then check whether the driver settings stick on the selected paper sizes. It could be that for example letter as the default replaces the selected size.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

I'm really hesitant to stop using the HP Preview. There have been several times when I missed a setting in the chain and didn't discover it until I saw the preview. I cancel out of the printing, make the necessary changes, then run the preview again. It also gives me a very rough approximation on colors. Basically, if the colors look completely out of whack on the preview, then I've missed something in the setup. If the colors look relatively close, (usually too contrasty and slightly flourescent), then I know I'm going to get a good print.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Potter

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 12:29:30 pm »

I'm really hesitant to stop using the HP Preview. There have been several times when I missed a setting in the chain and didn't discover it until I saw the preview. I cancel out of the printing, make the necessary changes, then run the preview again. It also gives me a very rough approximation on colors. Basically, if the colors look completely out of whack on the preview, then I've missed something in the setup. If the colors look relatively close, (usually too contrasty and slightly flourescent), then I know I'm going to get a good print.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

Sorry I don't have an answer to your issue. I was searching for problems with Photoshop not seeing my sheet papers and ran into you post. You are not wanting to stop using HP Preview - I to like it and used it for the same reasons you state but it stopped working with the last update and when poking around I read here that it was disabled by HP which leads me to ask are you on the current drivers and it is working? I would really like to get it to work again if the issue is on my end.

Sorry for jacking you post but I was excited about reading someone still using HP Preview.

Mark

markdfink

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 04:00:09 pm »

Quote from: Mark Potter
Mark,

Sorry I don't have an answer to your issue. I was searching for problems with Photoshop not seeing my sheet papers and ran into you post. You are not wanting to stop using HP Preview - I to like it and used it for the same reasons you state but it stopped working with the last update and when poking around I read here that it was disabled by HP which leads me to ask are you on the current drivers and it is working? I would really like to get it to work again if the issue is on my end.

Sorry for jacking you post but I was excited about reading someone still using HP Preview.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I just built a new Windows 7 64 bit machine this weekend, and am now printing from it. The print preview is there. I used the Vista 64 bit driver from HP's site, which  I downloaded today. I don't know what the version is, but I downloaded it here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...p;swEnvOID=2100

It looks like there isn't an official Windows 7 driver, and won't be one until June of 2010. In the meantime, it looks like this is working. I did manage to download and install the HP Utility from the Windows 7 download page.

Mark

Mark Potter

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 04:39:35 pm »

Hi Mark,

I just built a new Windows 7 64 bit machine this weekend, and am now printing from it. The print preview is there. I used the Vista 64 bit driver from HP's site, which  I downloaded today. I don't know what the version is, but I downloaded it here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...p;swEnvOID=2100

It looks like there isn't an official Windows 7 driver, and won't be one until June of 2010. In the meantime, it looks like this is working. I did manage to download and install the HP Utility from the Windows 7 download page.

Mark

That must be it -  your on a PC I did not pay attention... I'm on a mac.

Thanks for trying to help. glad you up and running. I'm been searching for a few hours now to find out when Photoshop can't see any sheets loaded?

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 03:38:34 pm »

HP has provided the dates when it will support Windoze 7 - probably not great news for a lot of folks

Click here
Regards,
Ron

markdfink

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 03:50:55 pm »

Quote from: rdonson
HP has provided the dates when it will support Windoze 7 - probably not great news for a lot of folks

Click here

Yes, but the Vista 64bit driver works fine under Win7 64bit. You just need to tell Win7 that this program worked under Vista and it will adjust itself so that the program will run in a compatibility mode. Pretty cool! I've made a couple of prints, and it works fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up