Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accurate colours on prints with hp9180  (Read 3422 times)

jacland

• Jacek Łuc Photography
Accurate colours on prints with hp9180
« on: November 17, 2009, 06:26:49 am »

After few weks I started to print in colour on HP 9180. Display is just calibrated. Profile for HP Professional Satin Photo Paper loaded.
But colours on prints are rather washed and and dimmed. (especially magenta).
I print from LR 2. What can I do more to get accurate colours?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:39:27 am »

People posting to web forums - in order for others to help them - need to really understand that such a broad question put this way with no other supporting information is impossible to answer. There are many factors which could be causing this and readers know nothing about your print set-up and your working procedures. You need to provide a detailed description of your printing process, all your settings, your profile selections in the printer driver and the software, how your display is calibrated and profiled and with what parameters, etc. As well, if you don't yet know what you don't know in order to specify these factors, you should do some learning and reading in order to pinpoint your problems more precisely. For this I would highly recommend the Reichmann-Schewe "From Camera  to Print" download video tutorial. It is reasonably priced, accessible, and takes you down the learning curve as quickly as anything can. Watch it, see if anything said there helps you detect what may be causing your problem, and if you still have trouble, by all means come back to the Forum with a clear description of the context in which it is occuring. Many including myself would like to be helpful once we have a clue where to begin.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:40:34 am by MarkDS »
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

jacland

• Jacek Łuc Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 10:00:01 am »

Quote from: MarkDS
People posting to web forums - in order for others to help them - need to really understand that such a broad question put this way with no other supporting information is impossible to answer. There are many factors which could be causing this and readers know nothing about your print set-up and your working procedures. You need to provide a detailed description of your printing process, all your settings, your profile selections in the printer driver and the software, how your display is calibrated and profiled and with what parameters, etc. As well, if you don't yet know what you don't know in order to specify these factors, you should do some learning and reading in order to pinpoint your problems more precisely. For this I would highly recommend the Reichmann-Schewe "From Camera  to Print" download video tutorial. It is reasonably priced, accessible, and takes you down the learning curve as quickly as anything can. Watch it, see if anything said there helps you detect what may be causing your problem, and if you still have trouble, by all means come back to the Forum with a clear description of the context in which it is occuring. Many including myself would like to be helpful once we have a clue where to begin.

You're right  

I calibrated my MBPro with x-Rite i1 Display 2, (6500K, 2.2, 90 cd
loaded HP profile for Advanced Photo Satin Paper
marked "Aplication managed colours",
rendering intent: perceptual
paper HP Professional Satin Photo paper (dedicated to HP PSPro B9180)

BTW: the Reichmann-Schewe "From Camera  to Print" is one of my sources  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:02:46 am by jacland »

Bo Koue Callesen

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 03:18:50 pm »

Beware there is a difference in the Advanced and the Professional profile, you mentions both in the same context. I have quite a few times my self mixed up these two profiles, as their names are so close.
/Bo

jacland

• Jacek Łuc Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 05:09:20 pm »

Quote from: bcalles
Beware there is a difference in the Advanced and the Professional profile, you mentions both in the same context. I have quite a few times my self mixed up these two profiles, as their names are so close.
/Bo

what icc profile do You suggest for HP Professional Satin Photo Paper
and where can I find it ?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 06:26:55 pm »

Quote from: jacland
You're right  

I calibrated my MBPro with x-Rite i1 Display 2, (6500K, 2.2, 90 cd
loaded HP profile for Advanced Photo Satin Paper
marked "Aplication managed colours",
rendering intent: perceptual
paper HP Professional Satin Photo paper (dedicated to HP PSPro B9180)

BTW: the Reichmann-Schewe "From Camera  to Print" is one of my sources  

And what is going on in your printer driver? Have you disabled colour management in the printer driver? Is the choice of paper in the printer driver and in Photoshop's print preview the same and also the same as that for which the profile was keyed?

jacland

• Jacek Łuc Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 04:13:19 am »

Quote from: MarkDS
And what is going on in your printer driver? Have you disabled colour management in the printer driver? Is the choice of paper in the printer driver and in Photoshop's print preview the same and also the same as that for which the profile was keyed?

As I mentioned above I print from LR2, do not use PS (do not have one)
In print dialog under Paper Type/Quality in Color settings is Application Managed Colors
Maybe profile I use for this paper is improper. I use HP Adnaced Photo Paper Satin, and use HP Professional Satin Photo Paper (can not find profile for this specific paper)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 07:06:45 am »

What user-controllable settings choices do you have in the printer driver? (Printing is controlled in two places for you - Lightroom and the printer driver).

Bo Koue Callesen

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 08:30:46 am »

Quote from: jacland
what icc profile do You suggest for HP Professional Satin Photo Paper
and where can I find it ?

Yes it seams the correct Pro profile have disappeared from the recent HP9180 installation package (at least from the Win 7 installation). I did pick up the correct profile from one of my older XP/Vista printer installation packages.

The profile is named: HP PSPro B9100-Professional Satin Photo.icc

/Bo

Tom Montgomery

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 05:28:59 pm »

By selecting 'Other' in LR2's Color Management profile dropdown list, I see that PSPro B9100-Professional Satin Photo is included in the list. Checking its box has included it in LR2's list of profiles.  

Note that HP pushed out a new printer driver to my machine this morning.  Looking at the installation log (OS X 10.6.2) it looks like the B9180 driver was updated. (I have other HP inkjets as well...)  So perhaps this profile was included with the new driver.

T.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 06:06:45 pm »

Ahah - sounds like we may be getting getting closer to a diagnosis of the problem - perhaps a profile mismatch and the printer driver is actually using the wrong profile?
Pages: [1]   Go Up