Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing from Lightroom  (Read 6307 times)

sakharov

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
    • http://veloclub.ru
Printing from Lightroom
« on: November 17, 2009, 04:50:36 AM »

It's again about "prints are dark" issue :-)

What we have - different Windows opration system (XP, Vista, Vista 64), Lightroom 2.5, Photoshop CS4, Epson 3800. For Epson last drivers and last firmware installed.
ColorBase used for every PC.
Profiles - from Epson and custom made.
Monitors are calibrated at 100cd/m.
Color management by application at any case.

Problem - if I print from Lightroom with relative colorimetric intent, prints looks darker than displayed at monitors.
If I print with perceptual intent, print are very close to monitor.
If I print from Photoshop with relative colorimetric intent and Black Point Compensation ON, prints are close to monitor.
If Black Point Compensation OFF, prints are dark, very close to Lightroom printout.

Lightroom has no Black Point Compensation at Windows OS?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 05:23:02 AM by sakharov »
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 11665
    • http://digitaldog.net/
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 10:04:19 AM »

Quote from: sakharov
If I print with perceptual intent, print are very close to monitor.
If I print from Photoshop with relative colorimetric intent and Black Point Compensation ON, prints are close to monitor.
If Black Point Compensation OFF, prints are dark, very close to Lightroom printout.

Lightroom has no Black Point Compensation at Windows OS?

LR is using black point compensation. But there’s no soft proof so its no wonder that you don’t see the effect of the rendering intents you describe which make prefect sense. You have to view the print and the soft proof, something LR can’t do.
Logged
Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10716
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 02:42:55 PM »

Quote from: digitaldog
You have to view the print and the soft proof, something LR can't do.
... yet! (But we're all hoping that LR 3 final will have it.)
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my photo website. New images each season. Also visit my new website: http://ericneedsakidney.org

jacland

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • Jacek Łuc Landscape Photography
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 04:50:41 AM »

Quote from: digitaldog
LR is using black point compensation. But there’s no soft proof so its no wonder that you don’t see the effect of the rendering intents you describe which make prefect sense. You have to view the print and the soft proof, something LR can’t do.

But there is preview button in print dialog (what does it do) and and you can tick soft proof in it. What is this?
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 11665
    • http://digitaldog.net/
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:15:44 AM »

Quote from: jacland
But there is preview button in print dialog (what does it do) and and you can tick soft proof in it. What is this?

Preview in LR or Photoshop? Photoshop has a tiny, nearly useless preview that DOES soft proof (why when you can do this prior to printing using the full view of your document is a question). But there’s no soft proofing in Lightroom anywhere.
Logged
Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8008
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 10:40:30 AM »

Quote from: jacland
But there is preview button in print dialog (what does it do) and and you can tick soft proof in it. What is this?
In the print dialog, the preview function is just to show how the page layout  will look. The function is available system-wide and it's not intended to emulate Photoshop soft-proofing.
Logged
Francois

jacland

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • Jacek Łuc Landscape Photography
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 04:45:44 PM »

Quote from: francois
In the print dialog, the preview function is just to show how the page layout  will look. The function is available system-wide and it's not intended to emulate Photoshop soft-proofing.

thanks for clearing
Logged

tokengirl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 360
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »

Quote from: francois
In the print dialog, the preview function is just to show how the page layout  will look. The function is available system-wide and it's not intended to emulate Photoshop soft-proofing.

I don't know about on a Windows machine, but on my iMac the preview function is definitely more than just a layout preview.  If I change profiles or rendering intent, I see the difference in the preview.
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 11665
    • http://digitaldog.net/
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 12:51:57 PM »

Quote from: tokengirl
I don't know about on a Windows machine, but on my iMac the preview function is definitely more than just a layout preview.  If I change profiles or rendering intent, I see the difference in the preview.

In Photoshop yes, in other app’s nope.
Logged
Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/

tokengirl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 360
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 06:18:20 AM »

Quote from: digitaldog
In Photoshop yes, in other app’s nope.

It works in Lightroom.  Here is a side-by-side comparison of the previews of one file to be printed in Lightroom, each one with a different profile applied.  You can most certainly see the difference.


Logged

Jeremy Payne

  • Guest
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 08:05:56 AM »

Quote from: tokengirl
It works in Lightroom.

No, it doesn't ... not yet, at least ...
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 11665
    • http://digitaldog.net/
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 09:51:22 AM »

Quote from: tokengirl
It works in Lightroom.  Here is a side-by-side comparison of the previews of one file to be printed in Lightroom, each one with a different profile applied.  You can most certainly see the difference.

That’s preview, NOT Lightroom.
Logged
Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/

tokengirl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 360
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 10:39:26 AM »

Quote from: digitaldog
That’s preview, NOT Lightroom.

Ok, fair enough.  I can still see what is going to come out of my printer before I print it with one mouse click.

I am no software expert, so I want to know what practical difference there is between being able to view it in Preview and being able to view it in Lightroom.  Honest question - how is it going to improve my work?
Logged

Jeremy Payne

  • Guest
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 10:41:33 AM »

Quote from: tokengirl
Ok, fair enough.  I can still see what is going to come out of my printer before I print it with one mouse click.

I am no software expert, so I want to know what practical difference there is between being able to view it in Preview and being able to view it in Lightroom.  Honest question - how is it going to improve my work?
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial...-proofing.shtml
Logged

tokengirl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 360
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 11:12:42 AM »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial...-proofing.shtml

Thanks for the link.  I'm not sure how this is going to improve anything since I'm already getting prints that match what I see on my screen with Lightroom, but I'll fool around with this over the weekend.
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 11665
    • http://digitaldog.net/
Printing from Lightroom
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 11:43:17 AM »

Quote from: tokengirl
Ok, fair enough.  I can still see what is going to come out of my printer before I print it with one mouse click.

There’s no paper white or ink black simulation, you can’t view and edit which is the reason we setup a soft proof, you can’t toggle rendering intents and see an update to select the best one visually and so on.
Logged
Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
Pages: [1]   Go Up