Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best lens distortion correction software  (Read 13518 times)

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
Best lens distortion correction software
« on: November 16, 2009, 11:49:22 pm »

What are the best  lens distortion correction softwares these days?
Regards,
Willem.

I use LensDoc and PT lens and I'm on a Mac.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 05:14:55 pm »

Quote from: rethmeier
What are the best  lens distortion correction softwares these days?

If your lenses are supported, DxO and it does of course much more than distorsion correction.

Cheers,
Bernard

Sigi

• http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/default.aspx?id=267034&mp=V2
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 09:08:24 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
If your lenses are supported, DxO and it does of course much more than distorsion correction.

Cheers,
Bernard

+1; DXO does an outstanding job if your lens is supported. If not you still get a very good Raw converter and they add lens/camera modules regularly

ejmartin

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 10:28:06 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier

Cheers,
Bernard

What else does it do?  I mean besides demosaic.  What sorts of geometric/optical effects does it compensate?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:29:50 am by ejmartin »
emil

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 03:09:12 pm »

DXO V6 doesn't support Snow Leopard yet.
First quarter in 2010
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 03:29:40 pm »

Quote from: rethmeier
DXO V6 doesn't support Snow Leopard yet.
First quarter in 2010

Correct indeed.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 03:32:11 pm »

Quote from: ejmartin
What else does it do?  I mean besides demosaic.  What sorts of geometric/optical effects does it compensate?

As far as a I understand, it has a local engine that is able to compensate basically for any type of geometric distorsion and does also vary the amount of sharpening that is applied based on local softening. This is done for all focusing distances also...

This is based on actual field measurements done with 5 lenses of a given make and then averaged.

Cheers,
Bernard

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 03:51:45 pm »

The problem with DxO is the limited number of lenses that it has corrections for. If you're not using fairly mainstream zooms or a handful of the most common primes, you can forget it. I just checked to see if things have gotten any better recently, and none of my primes are supported. The also have a ridiculous licensing scheme (and overly onerous and buggy activation) that requires users with 'pro' cameras to spend almost twice as much. You're also stuck using their raw converter if you want to use their corrections.

PTlens is cheap (1/8 the price of DxO Elite) and it works. It also supports more lenses (for my cameras, at least). It doesn't do as many corrections, but I'm really only interested in correction geometric distortion. PTLens also works as a plugin in 64-bit Photoshop.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

daws

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 04:20:57 am »

Quote from: JeffKohn
The problem with DxO is the limited number of lenses that it has corrections for. If you're not using fairly mainstream zooms or a handful of the most common primes, you can forget it. I just checked to see if things have gotten any better recently, and none of my primes are supported....

I'm afraid that is my view as well. Not to disparage the great stuff DxO does, but the list of lenses they support on the Canon 5DII is rather short, and doesn't include two I use frequently (Canon 24mm TS/E and 14mm 2.8 II). When my emails to DxO resulted in prompt, courteous but noncommittal replies as to their future plans re those lenses, of necessity I switched from DxO 5 to Adobe Camera Raw and PTLens.

Prompted by this thread, I checked DxO's site to see what lenses were scheduled for future inclusion in their 5DII modules... again a short list, and mine are not on it.

ejmartin

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 08:31:29 am »

Why does the lens correction have to be matched to a particular body?  I would have thought that the lens properties are independent of what body it's mounted on  (of course, the FOV of the sensor can be taken into account trivially).
emil

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 09:09:19 am »

Quote from: daws
I'm afraid that is my view as well. Not to disparage the great stuff DxO does, but the list of lenses they support on the Canon 5DII is rather short, and doesn't include two I use frequently (Canon 24mm TS/E and 14mm 2.8 II). When my emails to DxO resulted in prompt, courteous but noncommittal replies as to their future plans re those lenses, of necessity I switched from DxO 5 to Adobe Camera Raw and PTLens.

Prompted by this thread, I checked DxO's site to see what lenses were scheduled for future inclusion in their 5DII modules... again a short list, and mine are not on it.
Hi all: I use DXO regularly, and love it. It could be that it is not possible to add a module for a tilt shift lens, as there is an infinite combination of tilts and shifts. Just a thought
Dave G

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 09:24:59 am »

Quote from: ejmartin
Why does the lens correction have to be matched to a particular body?

Because the lens blur is only part of the system blur, which includes blur from the lens, the camera's AA filter, and demosaic interpolation. The last two vary from camera to camera, depending on the strength of the camera's AA filter, in-camera noise reduction algorithms, and the sensor's pixel count.

I'm actually working on a program to compete head-to-head with DXO, and have had to deal with this exact issue. Successfully removing blur requires accurate measurement of system blur characteristics--multiple samples taken at intervals from the center to the edge of the image circle, each color channel sampled independently. The blur characteristics in the center are not the same as at the edges, and each color channel has its own blur and distortion characteristics (which is what causes color fringing). Overcorrecting is just as bad as (or even worse than) undercorrecting. If you base your blur profile on samples from a camera with a strong AA filter and then use that profile on images from a camera with a weak AA filter, you will overcorrect the image. If the profile is based on a camera with a weak or non-existent AA filter, you won't correct for the AA filter's blur.

Also, the pixel spacing of the sensor directly affects how many pixels the blur extends in a given direction and the spatial precision of the blur sampling. If the pixels are more closely spaced, the same blur will cover more pixels; the blur correction routine has to process a larger pixel radius to do its job properly. You can more precisely sample blur characteristics from a crop-frame DSLR, but using that data source for your blur profile will leave a big gaping hole in the coverage needed for a full-frame DSLR. It's best to sample things natively to reduce the amount of interpolation needed and guarantee that the profile has adequate data for the entire image circle.

It's actually quite similar to printer profiling: when you make a custom printer profile, it is only valid for one combination of printer, ink, paper, and driver settings. If any printing condition deviates from what was used to make the profile, the quality of the print will be degraded and the profile becomes useless. And if your printer doesn't quite match the printer used to make the factory "canned" profiles, you aren't going to get good results, either.

DXO is basically supplying a limited selection of "canned" blur profiles with their product. IF your equipment has a matching "canned" profile, and IF your lens' blur characteristics exactly match the blur of the lens used to make DXO's blur profile (doubtful, given the sample variation of lenses, especially zooms), then the "canned" blur profile will work well for you. But if no "canned" profile is available, or your lens blurs differently than the profiled lens, your results will be mediocre.

One of my primary goals is to devise a user-friendly method for users to make their own blur profiles, so that users can benefit from blur, distortion, CA, vignetting, color cast, and other corrections for any arbitrary camera + lens combination, regardless of how obscure it may be or how far the lens deviates from the average behavior of that model. Unfortunately, the program is still in early alpha stage and it will probably be a few months before I'm ready for a public beta. But stay tuned...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:40:26 am by Jonathan Wienke »

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 09:31:33 am »

Jonathan ... sounds really interesting and the right kind of evolutionary step.

I hope you get a lot of traction and am happy to help test when you are ready.

daws

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 07:00:17 pm »

Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff
It could be that it is not possible to add a module for a tilt shift lens, as there is an infinite combination of tilts and shifts. Just a thought
Dave G
For shifted shots the user repositions the image (relative to an unshifted reference frame) to compensate for the shift, then applies the correction. Details on the PTLens website.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:03:42 pm by daws »

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 07:07:02 pm »

Quote from: daws
For shifted shots the user repositions the image to compensate for the shift, then applies the correction (see the PTLens website).

A much better solution is to define a user-movable "logical center" that corresponds to the center of the lens' image circle, even if that isn't the center of the capture. Then you base all distortion and blur corrections off the location of the logical center, and everything works out fine...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:07:42 pm by Jonathan Wienke »

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 08:35:38 pm »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
A much better solution is to define a user-movable "logical center" that corresponds to the center of the lens' image circle, even if that isn't the center of the capture. Then you base all distortion and blur corrections off the location of the logical center, and everything works out fine...
Even better would be if I could specify any shift/rise/fall in mm and then let the software automatically determine the center of the image circle.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 03:30:40 am »

Quote from: JeffKohn
Even better would be if I could specify any shift/rise/fall in mm and then let the software automatically determine the center of the image circle.

That's easily doable. If you have any other feature requests or suggestions, please post them here:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=39453
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:21:30 am by Jonathan Wienke »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 07:18:35 am »

Actually I am using Nikon Capture Nx2 in combination with PT-lens.

Since Nikon made the camera and lenses I expect that they make some corrections when putting uot my Raw tot Tiff. For sure they correct the Chromatic abberation and light falloff
It is a pity they not also have a possibility to correct the distortion- it would make life a bit easier.

For distorion I use PT lens- so far the only program that has a correction module fort the PCE shift lenses- in fact one of them is based on my own lens.
The only problem is the amount of RAM Photoshop with an Apple can appy to the module. I have to quit photoshop and start it op fresh to the make the module work for the large 10000px square images.
I also use DXO but I do not like the detail and color it puts out. The geometric correction is good but the lens-softness i find corrects to much. ( over sharpened)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:27:01 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up