Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Combermere farm  (Read 2366 times)

John R

Combermere farm
« on: November 16, 2009, 08:02:38 pm »

A few shots taken a few years ago of a farm scene near Bancroft, Ontario. I was PPing the images in preparation for a print, so decided to post. This was a very interesting scene because the young man was actually part of retreat and doing farm labour as part of studying and trying to determine if he wanted to become a priest. He really was working the horse with those old impliments.

JMR
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:53:32 pm by John R »

Brad Proctor

Combermere farm
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 08:37:24 pm »

John,

Great shot!  I like an image with a story behind it.  Gives it more meaning.
Brad Proctor

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Combermere farm
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 08:41:09 pm »

It's a good image, and I actually know where Combermere is!  Interesting, but nowadays it's considered better to leave the corn/ grain stalks in the field until spring as the roots reduce soil erosion from the spring thaw.

Mike.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:41:40 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

John R

Combermere farm
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 08:49:42 pm »

Quote from: bproctor
John,

Great shot!  I like an image with a story behind it.  Gives it more meaning.
Thanks. It gets more interesting. I took quite a few images (slides actually) of this young man as he was working. You could hear his horse snorting and sweating and he went out of breath and took a break. Eventually he spotted me and asked if I could send him some photos. So I agreed. When he received them, he was thrilled, but so was the centre where he was staying and they asked him for the photos so they can display them at the Madonna House. He wanted more photos to send to his family, but I was kind of poor just like him! So eventually I saved enough money to send him the photos. In those days, it really cost to convert slides into photos. But I feel better for sending them all the same.

I added two more so you can get a sense of how beautiful the area was, and the work he actually did. Notice the dog, his companion. It was a wonderful scene and day.

JMR
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:52:36 pm by John R »

dwood

Combermere farm
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 03:53:27 pm »

Good story behind those shots John. The first one makes me wonder if he was having a "what am I thinking" moment.  

shutterpup

Combermere farm
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 12:34:24 pm »

Reminds me of Charles Wysoki Americana work. These are very nice indeed.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 12:34:42 pm by shutterpup »

Ishmael.

Combermere farm
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 02:04:03 pm »

these are all great but that first one especially captures a great moment....the pose really makes the shot, and I love how the house is framed in the colorful autumn trees. great stuff.

tokengirl

Combermere farm
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 11:31:56 pm »

Very moving photos for me.  My father spent a great deal of time at Madonna House in years past and always told me of the beauty.  But he never took photos.  Thank you for sharing these.
Pages: [1]   Go Up