Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: urban 'landscape' / NYC  (Read 6213 times)

urban 'landscape' / NYC
« on: June 15, 2003, 08:00:16 am »

Depends on if you have a car or not. If you want to look into the sunrise head over to the the east river. You could hire a taxi and have him drive you around till you see what you want.

If you'd like to see the NY skyline illuminated by the rising sun you might want to head down to the Brooklyn bridge and walk across it. (If that's still allowed. I've heard that photography on and near the bridges in NY is no longer allowed.)

Michael

bdbuck

urban 'landscape' / NYC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 10:58:50 am »

I believe you can photograph around and on the pedestrian walkways of the bridges as regular tourists do, but they do not give permits out to photographers anymore to shoot in any of the restricted areas. A bike is also a good way to get around. I'm pretty sure you can still bike/walk the brooklyn bridge. On the other side, the brooklyn promenade is a good place to get the canonical lower manhattan shot at sunrise.

Brian.

Hank

urban 'landscape' / NYC
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 12:44:41 pm »

If you want the sun coming up behind the city skyline. Take the path train to Jersey City get off the first stop (Pavonia Newport). The station is right next to the riverfront. Or get off the next stop (Grove Street) walk down to the park on exchange place, there is a public pier which is directly across from the site of the WTC.

Ray

urban 'landscape' / NYC
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 11:45:46 pm »

I believe you can photograph around and on the pedestrian walkways of the bridges as regular tourists do, but they do not give permits out to photographers anymore to shoot in any of the restricted areas.
Restricted areas on the Brooklyn bridge? What sort of society are you guys living in? Never heard of such a restriction! Is this America, land of the free?

georgj

• www.onkosaar.de
urban 'landscape' / NYC
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2003, 03:23:44 am »

Hello everybody

first I have to excuse for my OT question.

I'm going to NYC (downtown Manhattan) next wednesday (just 1 1/2 days) and I'll try to catch the city at different times. Could you give me a hint where to go for sunrise?
Many thanks, George

JJP

urban 'landscape' / NYC
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2003, 04:42:55 pm »

Excuse my TO question:
Regarding Union Station in Toronto, have any LL members ever been tempted to photograph it?  In any case, what a magnificent building it is.
Jules
JJ

Robert DeCandido, PhD

urban 'landscape' / NYC
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 02:48:07 pm »

Hello,

Yes you can photograph from the Brooklyn Bridge.  So long as you are not doing commercial photography, there is no problem.  I know this for a fact since my girlfriend was there the other morning photographing Peregrine Falcons that were about to fledge from the nest (Brooklyn side arch). She had her 500mm lens/tripod, etc., and had no problems.  

Sunrise from the BB is not very good...the morning sun on lower Manahttan is nice though.  My favorite location for sunrise is Bow Bridge in Central Park...but again, the sun is at your back for the best shots.  If you want to catch the actual sunrise itself you will need to get in a tall building in Manhattan and shoot toward the east.  If you want the nice, warm lighting of sunrise, then anywhere is good...

Robert DeCandido, PhD (a displaced NYker for a few months)
Post-Doctoral Fellow in Ornithology
International Bird Research Centre in Eilat, Israel

georgj

• www.onkosaar.de
urban 'landscape' / NYC
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2003, 11:06:07 am »

Hi, it's me again...

I've just been to NYC (June 18-20). They have an unusual long period of rain, fog and mist over there. So, no sunrise / sunset photographs, just skyscrapers in the mist... not bad, but better for painters than unexperienced photographers like me. So I took a ride to 33rd/9th and had a long time at B&H (left my credit card at the hotel safe...) and did some shottings at the central park early afternoon. Thanks to all of you & your comments.

Best regards, George
Pages: [1]   Go Up