Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: colour temperature settings  (Read 1482 times)

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
colour temperature settings
« on: July 15, 2004, 08:48:14 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I suggest shutting down this thread since an identical thread was started elsewhere.[/font]
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

jrmorgan

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 02:40:57 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I've had great success with a Minolta color temperature meter.  I've used one for years in my cinematography work.  But I use mine to balance different light sources to my motion picture lights so II can have an even color temperature, for the film stocks used.  Balancing to daylight or tungsten film.  In the digital Still world I see no use for one unless you are carrying compensating gels for lights or windows and filters for the camera lens.  You would still have to choose between daylight and Tungsten first.  Seems to me you can do all your correction in PS.  Just my two cents worth.[/font]

Photon-hunter

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 07:04:54 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Well, white balance seems to be a real issue when shooting digital (specialy JPEG´s).
Being a novice to digital as I am, I´ve noticed my 10D features a colour temperature setting mode. Any manual setting is nothing but an estimate based on what the average colur temperature is on a bright or overcast day or this or that other situation....
The question is: Is there a propper accurate colour temperature meassuring device (such a light meter) that can be used, and would this be the solution to all this "drama" about the white balance setting and all the ugly surprises around it??

Else, what is the correct way of making the best out of this "colour temperature" setting??

Thanks indeed.

Erik.[/font]

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 05:01:17 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Photon, a color temperature meter might be the solution if only they were really consistent but they seldom are. Color meters are really great at comparing two lights but I often found a filter chart more accurate. The best thing you can do is shoot a gray card and forget about color temperature IMHO. The readings I get from camera software are often nowhere near correct, but a good gray card will always work.[/font]
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 08:51:37 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']JR, exactly my point. I use a color meter to COMPARE multiple lights and make them match, and it does an extremely good job at that. On the other hand using it to measure the color temp of a scene and taking that number as a white balance setting is a whole nother matter.[/font]
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker
Pages: [1]   Go Up