Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographic Video shows / documentaries and some ramblings..  (Read 3850 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Photographic Video shows / documentaries and some ramblings..
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:42:46 pm »

I was going to post and ask about this newish DVD by 'F8 *cough* and Be there' - Entitled Every 'picture tells a story'.
Every Picture

Anybody seen it? (I have a couple of his others which were kind of 'ok' - this one seems to take a different 'format' so would be interested if anyone has seen it and what they thought of it.) I would rate the others as competently well produced.. but a little dry overall.

But then I realised there was a bigger picture here to throw open for some thoughts and content suggestions, rather than just querying the above DVD.

Really.. I wish there was more good photographic video content out there. Apart from Lula Video journals / tutorials and Art Wolfe's travels to the Edge I haven't found much other good regular content to keep me entertained when not out shooting. The two I mention being clear stand outs in my mind as being both informative as well as entertaining (and that is hard to pull off). I can think of a few good 'one off' documentaries (Extreme Ice being an excellent recent example on NatGeo HD channel).. and there are some good podcasts from Brooks Jenson etc. but little if nothing in the way of series / regular video content.

Can anyone add to the list of content? Perhaps the inclusion of video in the new swag of DSLR's will see more content in the future from photographers... now there's a thought...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:43:40 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:10:34 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
I was going to post and ask about this newish DVD by 'F8 *cough* and Be there' - Entitled Every 'picture tells a story'.
Every Picture

Anybody seen it? (I have a couple of his others which were kind of 'ok' - this one seems to take a different 'format' so would be interested if anyone has seen it and what they thought of it.) I would rate the others as competently well produced.. but a little dry overall.

But then I realised there was a bigger picture here to throw open for some thoughts and content suggestions, rather than just querying the above DVD.

Really.. I wish there was more good photographic video content out there. Apart from Lula Video journals / tutorials and Art Wolfe's travels to the Edge I haven't found much other good regular content to keep me entertained when not out shooting. The two I mention being clear stand outs in my mind as being both informative as well as entertaining (and that is hard to pull off). I can think of a few good 'one off' documentaries (Extreme Ice being an excellent recent example on NatGeo HD channel).. and there are some good podcasts from Brooks Jenson etc. but little if nothing in the way of series / regular video content.

Can anyone add to the list of content? Perhaps the inclusion of video in the new swag of DSLR's will see more content in the future from photographers... now there's a thought...

Depends on what your definition of "content" is.
There are some very good DVD's on specific photographers, generally produced by local PBS stations. Some have really excellent production values, others a bit more iffy, but all the ones I have watched have been very informative—at least with regard to the photographers' æsthetic ideas, more than nuts 'n bolts gear info. And isn't that more interesting anyway?

My favorites:
David Plowden: Light, Shadow & Form. It's more than 10 years old now, and Plowden is no longer shooting, but it's still wonderful. It shows Plowden at work photographing, printing in the darkroom, teaching, and discussing his æsthetics and subject choices. Great stuff, and still available. I actually had a chance to meet Plowden a year ago when he gave a talk at George Eastman house; a real gentleman and all-around national treasure.

American Horizons: The Photographs of Art Sinsabaugh. Another great PBS video documenting the career of this landscape artist who photographed the prairie using a wide-format banquet camera, and also extensively photographed midwestern cities including Chicago. Architectural photography isn't really my thing, but it's still very interesting.

American Experience: Ansel Adams. Very high production valleys, great musical score, fascinating interviews. You can't go wrong with this one, if you have even the faintest interest in Adams.

Paul Strand: Under the Darkcloth. I have to confess I haven't watched it yet, but it looks very interesting. Maybe this coming weekend.

And of course there's always Lenswork. The DVD version (Lenswork Extended) includes audio and video interviews with various photographers. All are interesting, some terrific for getting some insight into working styles. A favorite is Brooks Jensen interviewing Tyler Boley in his printing studio.

lightstand

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:47:46 pm »

Not sure if they ship to Australia but Netflix has quite a few documentaries on both Photographers, and artists in general.  Most of the shows are only on DVD and you can't watch them through the internet, yet. but I imagine you can browse.

Lynda.com also has been creating some programs on inspiration where a wide range of artists talk about their work including some photographers (although I haven't watched any of them)

to add to your list Edward Burtynsky "Manufactured Landscapes"  absolute must see if you like contemporary landscape environmental concerns photography (how's that for keywords)

Oh and I just saw  "Visual Acoustics" about Julius Shulman the architectural photographer very good movie!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:01:09 pm by lightstand »

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:41:01 am »

Quote from: lightstand
to add to your list Edward Burtynsky "Manufactured Landscapes"  absolute must see if you like contemporary landscape environmental concerns photography (how's that for keywords)

I can't believe I forgot Manufactured Landscapes. I bought it early this year, and it's just wonderful. It opens with a mind-blowing tracking shot through a colossal Chinese factory that just goes on and on forever, one row of workers after another, while Burtynsky narrates. It makes your brain hurt. I think it's actually hard to find this video now.

JMCP

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 06:21:42 pm »

There is a DVD called "Seeing Scotland" by one of the UK's top photographers, it is made up of 6 tv episodes that he did for Grampian TV, there is some spectacular scenery involved and it is pleasant/easy viewing.

Cheers John

Josh-H

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 06:32:59 pm »

Quote from: JMCP
There is a DVD called "Seeing Scotland" by one of the UK's top photographers, it is made up of 6 tv episodes that he did for Grampian TV, there is some spectacular scenery involved and it is pleasant/easy viewing.

Cheers John

Looks like its available on DVD as well
DVD

Amazon also have Manufactured landscapes on DVD.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 07:04:58 am »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
I can't believe I forgot Manufactured Landscapes. I bought it early this year, and it's just wonderful. It opens with a mind-blowing tracking shot through a colossal Chinese factory that just goes on and on forever, one row of workers after another, while Burtynsky narrates. It makes your brain hurt. I think it's actually hard to find this video now.

to add to your list Edward Burtynsky "Manufactured Landscapes" absolute must see if you like contemporary landscape environmental concerns photography (how's that for keywords)

I actually managed to find a copy of this at my local video library tonight on the way home from the office (go figure...).

Anyway.. its wonderful. Its both sombre, beautiful (for the ugliness of what we are doing to the planet) and powerful; in some ways its more powerful and thought provoking than Al Gore's piece on Global warming - it certainly had more of an effect on me anyway. I use the word beautiful deliberately as each photograph is beautiful for the ugliness of the landscape it portrays.The photography is marvellous and the camera direction is superb. Thank you for pointing me toward this excellent video.

On a political note - I hope that Burtynsky does one day decide to politicise his photographs - they more accurately show what we are doing to the planet than any other work I can think of.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:06:57 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 06:48:53 am »

On a political note - I hope that Burtynsky does one day decide to politicise his photographs - they more accurately show what we are doing to the planet than any other work I can think of.

I think they're already pretty political (in a good way) by their very nature and content.

Burtynsky has just released a new book, Oil. It appears to be nominally about how petroleum has become the organizing principle of our society, but it includes a lot of 'greatest hits' from his work over the years. The reproductions are terrific. It's hard to imagine an old oil-field full of nodding derricks as beautiful, but the cover shot is amazing. Great stuff.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 09:59:21 pm »

Every Picture

I liked it well enough considering it is of a place I've little interest in photographing.  Way too much winging a GND filter all over the place.  I don't know why one would pay for signh ray filters if you aren't going to clean em.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 10:02:26 pm »

This ...

http://www.amazon.com/Chased-Light-DVD-Jou...2484&sr=1-2

... is one of my fav photo dvds.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 10:15:03 pm »

Hour+ long artwolfe interview over at his blog ...

http://blog.artwolfe.com/

Josh-H

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 02:58:50 am »

PhotoXplorers is one I came across on Discovery HD channel a couple of nights ago. I have only seen 2 episodes; but its not bad. The production quality is high - but its quite focused on the building exploration -still its worth a look if you see it around.
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up