Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Qimage settings and Z3200  (Read 2567 times)

jasdown

Qimage settings and Z3200
« on: November 15, 2009, 12:18:28 pm »

This noob wishes to thank all who have given me such quality direction in my request for paper choices in my earlier post, with big shout outs to Geoff Wittig and John Caldwell for their detailed advice. Now I am once more in a quandry.  I have chosen HP Satin Pro and have loaded the paper preset within the HP Utility, as well as having done a color calibration of the paper itself. To best implement these calibrations using Qimage software to print to Z3200, should I allow the color management to be handled by the printer ("Let printer/driver mange color" selected under Job Properties in Qimage, and "Printer managed color" selected within the Color Management tab of the HP driver), or should I attempt to point the software to the profile in the Qimage "Prtr ICC" box and set the HP driver to "Application Managed Colors"? Thanks in advance for your guidance!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 12:33:56 pm by jasdown »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 02:19:04 pm »

Quote from: jasdown
This noob wishes to thank all who have given me such quality direction in my request for paper choices in my earlier post, with big shout outs to Geoff Wittig and John Caldwell for their detailed advice. Now I am once more in a quandry.  I have chosen HP Satin Pro and have loaded the paper preset within the HP Utility, as well as having done a color calibration of the paper itself. To best implement these calibrations using Qimage software to print to Z3200, should I allow the color management to be handled by the printer ("Let printer/driver mange color" selected under Job Properties in Qimage, and "Printer managed color" selected within the Color Management tab of the HP driver), or should I attempt to point the software to the profile in the Qimage "Prtr ICC" box and set the HP driver to "Application Managed Colors"? Thanks in advance for your guidance!

The last choice. With Qimage CM ON your choices on renderings etc increase, a profile rendering choice per image on the same print page is possible and it actually will use the profile for Satin Pro that you selected. Be aware to create a printing shortcut in the HP driver that has Application Managed Colors + color printing selected. That sticks better than individual selections per job that tend to go back to the default, the HP default is printer CM on.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

jasdown

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 02:31:20 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
The last choice. With Qimage CM ON your choices on renderings etc increase, a profile rendering choice per image on the same print page is possible and it actually will use the profile for Satin Pro that you selected. Be aware to create a printing shortcut in the HP driver that has Application Managed Colors + color printing selected. That sticks better than individual selections per job that tend to go back to the default, the HP default is printer CM on.

Thanks, Ernst!

jasdown

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 01:27:09 pm »

Ernst, I followed your advice and set up the color management to be handled by the Qimage software.  However, when the print preview screen popped up within the HP printer driver, the color seemed to be off (especially when I employed the detailed view). For instance, the photo was a very high-key portrait of a little girl. Her lips appeared very unnaturally purple in the HP printer utility preview. So I canceled that print and went back to Qimage and respooled the print with the settings switched to the printer handling the color management. This time the HP preview seemed OK.  So now I have to ask, is the preview within the HP driver at all reliable when allowing Qimage to manage color? I was too scared to print when her lips appeared so purple.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 04:32:40 pm »

Quote from: jasdown
Ernst, I followed your advice and set up the color management to be handled by the Qimage software.  However, when the print preview screen popped up within the HP printer driver, the color seemed to be off (especially when I employed the detailed view). For instance, the photo was a very high-key portrait of a little girl. Her lips appeared very unnaturally purple in the HP printer utility preview. So I canceled that print and went back to Qimage and respooled the print with the settings switched to the printer handling the color management. This time the HP preview seemed OK.  So now I have to ask, is the preview within the HP driver at all reliable when allowing Qimage to manage color? I was too scared to print when her lips appeared so purple.

Switch the HP preview off. There is a softproof feature in Qimage, right click on the image in the filer window of Qimage and select Softproof (Ctrl+Space does the same). That is the softproof of the Qimage CM. The girl will be healthy again (within the limitations of a softproof).

jasdown

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 04:34:36 pm »

Thank you again, Ernst, for your great help.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:42:01 pm by jasdown »
Pages: [1]   Go Up