Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zabriskie Dawn  (Read 2430 times)

Rob C

Zabriskie Dawn
« on: November 15, 2009, 06:23:15 am »

Just a personal thought - but I would have been very tempted to raise the contrast just a whisper - light at that time may well be soft, but at the end of the day (or the start?) it's the look of the final print that matters most.

On the other hand, might just be my monitor, but I don't think so.

;-)

Rob C

michael

Zabriskie Dawn
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 08:17:39 am »

Rob,

All I can say is that you have to see a print.

The interpretation is about the subtlety of grayscale tonalities, which is what an MF back like the P65+ is about as much as high resolution. An 8 bit screen will never be able to show this.

Cheers,

Michael

Rob C

Zabriskie Dawn
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 12:07:42 pm »

Quote from: michael
Rob,

All I can say is that you have to see a print.

The interpretation is about the subtlety of grayscale tonalities, which is what an MF back like the P65+ is about as much as high resolution. An 8 bit screen will never be able to show this.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

I take your point, Michael, and I have suffered pangs myself on the odd occassion when I have posted images here or on another site I visit. There is something in a good b/w file that actually does seem to lend itself more to the medium of paper than screen, though I can't always say I find that with colour, but my colour stuff disappoints me as print for one basic reason: I find great trouble getting convincing reds on my HP B 9180 using Hahnemuehle Photo Rag, Bright White A3+. No, let me be totally honest - I never get what I hope for in reds. Perhaps that's a subliminal reason for my preference for b/w: more likely to put a happy smirk on my face. And if photograhy can't give me that anymore...

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 12:08:33 pm by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up