Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Continuous Lighting  (Read 1813 times)

ryanstrong

Continuous Lighting
« on: November 15, 2009, 01:08:15 am »

Looking to create some cinematic type photography and wanted to start with trying out continuous lighting and ditching the strobes.

I haven't the slightest clue as to where to start with continuous lighting. I know I do want a cool color temperature that is similar to a strobe and would need a somewhat soft modifier.

Where to start what do I need? I just would like one light and something on the cheaper end but quality.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 01:09:31 am by ryanstrong »

stever

Continuous Lighting
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 11:37:07 am »

there's an article on continuous lighting on the lensrentals.com site (not too detailed, but interesting) and they have some continuous lighting products available

happyman

Continuous Lighting
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 11:23:50 am »

forget cool temperature - go for tungsten if you don´t have to combine it with daylight. the cold light is so ugly to look at. same for hmi. i have some old foba fresnel spots 250 / 500 w, some hedler 2000 w and 4 dedo lights. the dedo lights are a dream to work with. on their web site you will find some special reports about their lights mostly from film people, very nice to read.

remember that it is not only the light producing that kind of look. an old/not perfect lens would do you also favour. realy cool are old enlarger lenses, you can get them cheap. i adapt them with the zoerk multi focus or the linos rodenstock adapter.

have fun :-)
j.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:24:25 am by happyman »

Peter McLennan

Continuous Lighting
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 12:23:08 pm »

Quote from: happyman
realy cool are old enlarger lenses, you can get them cheap. i adapt them with the zoerk multi focus or the linos rodenstock adapter.
have fun :-)
j.

Could you elaborate on this topic a little?  I have a couple of old enlarger lenses and the idea of making a light projector out of them is interesting.  I still have the enlarger, but it's only fifty watts or so.  Are you using the enlarger lenses with more powerful light sources?

happyman

Continuous Lighting
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 11:13:12 pm »

peter,

sorry, i dont use the enlarge lenses in front of a light source. i use them in front of a camera :-)
because ryan ask for cinematic type photography i want to add that the lights are only part of the game.
i don´t know why but continuous tungsten light and some old lenses (in front of a camera) work very well for that kind of "look".

what i use in front of a DedoLight is a projector lens (old Leitz). combine it with an iris and you can spot light the crown of an wrist watch alone.
http://www.dedolight.com/www/dedolight/def...R&section=0
http://www.dedolight.com/www/dedolight/def...1&section=0

cheers
j.
Pages: [1]   Go Up