Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MAC print box  (Read 2318 times)

ErezAvraham

MAC print box
« on: November 14, 2009, 05:59:02 pm »

i just dont get it, i listened to from camera to print and i usually get the print i want but its a trial and error instead of knowing what im going to get so apologies for the basic questions. my main issue is with print size, how do i set the print size to the size i want and what is the scale i should use.
should i always crop in photoshop to the intended print size? at what resolution?
should i always up sample in photoshop to the appropriate resolution?
[attachment=17928:Picture_3.png]

once im in the print window (using MAC 10.5.8) should i select scale to fit? this window is very confusing, especially the print sizes. i am starting to use roll paper and im not sure what size to select and what margins. i tried printing a 17x22 on epson 4880 and selected custom paper size - 17x22 borderless and it printed it with no border onone size but with a small border on the other side
[attachment=17929:Picture_2.png]
thanks in advance

Dick Roadnight

MAC print box
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 06:55:46 am »

Quote from: ErezAvraham
should i always crop in photoshop to the intended print size? at what resolution?
should i always up sample in photoshop to the appropriate resolution?
I get confused too...
You do not have to crop to the exact print size/ aspect ratio ...you can ignore the message that tells you the image is larger than the paper's printable area, and you can specify borders.

Printers work best at their default res (e.g. 360 ppi), but the printer driver does (almost) as good a job of re-ressing (re-sampling) as you could do with photoshop.

I came across an option to set the default ppi for the printer the other day, and set mine to 360, yours seems to be 240.

If you want to print at the default ppi, un-tick the "resample image" box, (the pixel dimensions will then stay the same if you change the document size).
once im in the print window (using MAC 10.5.8) should i select scale to fit? this window is very confusing, especially the print sizes. i am starting to use roll paper and im not sure what size to select and what margins. i tried printing a 17x22 on epson 4880 and selected custom paper size - 17x22 borderless and it printed it with no border onone size but with a small border on the other side
[attachment=17929:Picture_2.png]
thanks in advance
You can adjust the roll-paper print size to match the width of your paper, by clicking "page setup" and, as you have done, using "custom paper size"... and set the length of roll paper you use to suit each image. (the length can be shorter than the width of the paper!) ...having manual set the paper size (document size), you can use "scale to fit media" or manually set the scale to give you the ppi you want, or the width to the width of your roll paper... or you can then go back and re-set the roll paper length to give you the height you want for you camera's aspect ratio, or for the aspect ratio of an individual cropped print.

If the borders are not equal, un-click "centre image" and compensate by setting the top and left margins manually.

I have one custom print size setup to print about A4 sideways on 329mm paper ( prints 50 Mpx at 720 PPI with the scale set at 33.3%), and one for about A5 on 210mm paper, an on for DL, which is one third of A4, or standard (Euro) envelope size.

On my Epson Stylus Photo 2100 using Snow leopard, I cannot use many of the features I could from my PC, especially the auto-cutter. ¿Can anyone offer any fix for this?

I have to print a few pix this week, and I am thinking of putting my 2100 back on my PC or firing up my 7900... do they do good Snow leopard drivers (I have colorburst) for the 7900?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Dick Roadnight

MAC print box
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 02:38:25 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
On my Epson Stylus Photo 2100 using Snow leopard, I cannot use many of the features I could from my PC, especially the auto-cutter. ¿Can anyone offer any fix for this?
I have now been able to get the auto-cutter to work on my Epson Stylus pro 2100 on Snow Leopard... but precisely how I got it to work for custom print sizes I do not know (it does work for standard print sizes for roll paper, but here was not a standard size for printing A4+ across 329mm roll paper.

...you buy a photo quality printer, and you find that all the options are set to minimum quality, and to get photo-quality you have to set:

Print screen
Printer= 2100

Page setup/Format for = 2100
Paper size roll paper... initially I found I could not specify custom sizes and use the auto-cutter
Orientation? Set on main print menu to Landscape
Scaled print size 33.33% gives 720 ppi for %0 Mpx on A4
Print2
Print settings Quality Max
[blockquote]Advanced settings
High speed =off,
finest detail = on
Set Media type... many of the quality options are not settable unless you set a quality paper type
[/blockquote]Page Layout Settings Auto Cutter = Single cut
Roll paper option = cut sheet

It would be nice if it was possible to set all this up as the default for a custom print size.

As per the Epson Web site, you are supposed to set "use rosetta" on to get the driver to work

ErezAvraham

MAC print box
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:26:20 pm »

Thanks Dick

that helped a lot! i also noticed that if i use alianskin Blow Up i can get the sized i need easily but im sure there is a way to do the same in photoshop...

i ran into the same issue with the cutter, regardless of the option i selected on the printer (roll or roll with cuter) the printer will try to cut the canvas and there is no option on the MAC printer driver to disengage it

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
I get confused too...
You do not have to crop to the exact print size/ aspect ratio ...you can ignore the message that tells you the image is larger than the paper's printable area, and you can specify borders.

Printers work best at their default res (e.g. 360 ppi), but the printer driver does (almost) as good a job of re-ressing (re-sampling) as you could do with photoshop.

I came across an option to set the default ppi for the printer the other day, and set mine to 360, yours seems to be 240.

If you want to print at the default ppi, un-tick the "resample image" box, (the pixel dimensions will then stay the same if you change the document size).

You can adjust the roll-paper print size to match the width of your paper, by clicking "page setup" and, as you have done, using "custom paper size"... and set the length of roll paper you use to suit each image. (the length can be shorter than the width of the paper!) ...having manual set the paper size (document size), you can use "scale to fit media" or manually set the scale to give you the ppi you want, or the width to the width of your roll paper... or you can then go back and re-set the roll paper length to give you the height you want for you camera's aspect ratio, or for the aspect ratio of an individual cropped print.

If the borders are not equal, un-click "centre image" and compensate by setting the top and left margins manually.

I have one custom print size setup to print about A4 sideways on 329mm paper ( prints 50 Mpx at 720 PPI with the scale set at 33.3%), and one for about A5 on 210mm paper, an on for DL, which is one third of A4, or standard (Euro) envelope size.

I have to print a few pix this week, and I am thinking of putting my 2100 back on my PC or firing up my 7900... do they do good Snow leopard drivers (I have colorburst) for the 7900?

Dick Roadnight

MAC print box
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 02:46:36 am »

Quote from: ErezAvraham
Thanks Dick

that helped a lot! i also noticed that if i use alianskin Blow Up i can get the sized i need easily but im sure there is a way to do the same in photoshop...

i ran into the same issue with the cutter, regardless of the option i selected on the printer (roll or roll with cuter) the printer will try to cut the canvas and there is no option on the MAC printer driver to disengage it
My problem was that I could not get the cutter to work - I think I got it to work by using a roll paper standard size, saving the settings and then setting up a custom size.

On my Snow Leopard 2100 driver, on the second print screen on the page layout settings you can turn the auto-cutter to off, single cut or double cut.
Pages: [1]   Go Up