Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lenses for Canon 7D  (Read 8525 times)

Eugen-Florin

• Eugen-Florin Zamfirescu
Lenses for Canon 7D
« on: November 14, 2009, 10:40:25 am »

What are the lenses for a crop Canon format that you are using and also recommend. I am thinking for a Canon 7D. I have not decided for primes or for zooms. Are they close in this format ? Can you state the case for each?  Is there one zoom to cover large focals and also give good pictures. My interests are  mostly in general photography.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Lenses for Canon 7D
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:23:00 pm »

That really depends on what you like to shoot. The most obvious issue with crop sensor cameras is, well, the "crop" that reduces the field of view in relation to a full frame camera. So you'll want to take that into consideration when choosing lenses, especially prime lenses.

There are two Canon zooms made for the crop format that are quite good: the 10-22/3.5-4.5 and the 17-55/2.8. Neither of them is built to the same level of quality of the "L" lenses for full frame cameras, but they make nice images. I own both, and use them with 40D bodies.

For a longer zoom, the 70-200 f/4 L IS lens is very good, and much lighter and less expensive than the f/2.8 version. I have the f/2.8 version, and want to buy the f/4. (The IS feature is very useful for me.)

For primes, the 50/1.4 and the 85/1.8 are nice short telephotos for portraiture, etc., with equivalent FOV of 80mm and 135mm respectively. The 135/2 has the field of view of a 200mm lens on full frame, so it's a nice fast medium tele (and very sharp.)

Not too many wide prime choices. The 24/1.4 becomes a 40mm equivalent, which is a nice focal length for street shooting, but it's a huge heavy beast. My copy of the 20/2.8 is pretty bad, though in fairness it's probably 15 years old.

If I had to do it over again on lenses, I would buy the 10-22 (which I like), the 24-105/4 IS zoom, and the 70-200/4 IS zoom, and probably a 50/1.4 and a 135/2. That would give me coverage from very wide to tele (~16mm FOV to ~300mm FOV), with two useful fast primes.

(Note that I would not buy the 17-55/2.8 again. It just has too much overlap with the 10-22, and it's not quite long enough on the long end for me. The 24-105 would solve both those issues. The 17-55 is a nice lens, though, so don't take this as a bad review. It just doesn't fit my shooting style.)

Also note that all of those lenses except the 10-22 will work on full frame Canon bodies, as well as the APS-H photojournalists cameras. So there is some room for future changes in your kit.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Eugen-Florin

Lenses for Canon 7D
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 12:36:13 pm »

From what you are descibing is that I have to keep my  future (eventual) upgrades to an full format open.
Is 24-105/4 IS comparable to 17-55/2.8 ? Or better ?

DarkPenguin

Lenses for Canon 7D
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 01:27:52 pm »

Quote from: florin
From what you are descibing is that I have to keep my  future (eventual) upgrades to an full format open.
Is 24-105/4 IS comparable to 17-55/2.8 ? Or better ?

Why?  Buy the best lens for your purpose.  If you're about to go to a full frame camera just wait until you can get the full frame camera.  If you aren't then buy the best lens for the format you have.  If you change formats in the future then sell the lens.  You'll probably want to change lenses anyway since your field of view will change when you switch formats.

My only comment on the two lenses mentioned is that the focal length and aperture really ought to guide your decision.  An apples to apples would be 17-40f4L vs 17-55f2.8.

Oh, and www.photozone.de ...

Ken Bennett

Lenses for Canon 7D
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 09:00:55 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
My only comment on the two lenses mentioned is that the focal length and aperture really ought to guide your decision.  An apples to apples would be 17-40f4L vs 17-55f2.8.

DP, read my comments above. The reason I said I would choose the 24-105 is because my 17-55/2.8 overlaps too much with my 10-22 and isn't long enough at the tele end. The 17-40 would be a worse choice (same overlap but even less range.) The fact that the 24-105 just happens to be usable on other cameras like my 1D2 is a bonus. Note too that this is my own choice for my own shooting style. Your mileage may vary.

Florin, the 24-105 is an "L" series lens, which is the Canon pro series. The build quality is superior to the 17-55/2.8 -- for example, it's completely weather sealed, and the zoom is much smoother in my experience. But realize that it's a totally different lens -- a full stop slower aperture, and a very different zoom range. If I could have only one lens for my 40D, it would be the 17-55. My suggestions were in the context of a complete kit that meets my shooting needs.

If you want to do it all with one zoom lens, the new Canon 15-85mm lens might be a good choice.

Eugen-Florin

Lenses for Canon 7D
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 09:56:19 pm »

I am grateful for your time taken and for the answers given, gentlemen. Your insights and experiences are appreciated. I still wonder if the new sensor in the 7D might is not too
dense for the resolving powers of the lenses that you refer to. Can you elaborate on this point of view, please ?

DarkPenguin

Lenses for Canon 7D
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:39:13 pm »

I am grateful for your time taken and for the answers given, gentlemen. Your insights and experiences are appreciated. I still wonder if the new sensor in the 7D might is not too
dense for the resolving powers of the lenses that you refer to. Can you elaborate on this point of view, please ?

There are lots of reviews testing resolving power.  Check dpreview.com, slrgear.com or photozone.de.

If you shoot a lot of landscapes you're likely to be stopped down where the differences between lenses are not nearly as apparent.

Ken Bennett

Lenses for Canon 7D
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 04:55:52 pm »

I still wonder if the new sensor in the 7D might is not too dense for the resolving powers of the lenses that you refer to. Can you elaborate on this point of view, please ?

This may in fact be true, in theory.

However, your question is like asking "What car do I buy" in a sports car forum, and when told to buy a Ferrari, saying, "I hear the Ferrari gets loose in the turns at speeds above 200 miles per hour." It's not a problem you will ever have.

Until you have perfect shooting technique, which very few photographers can manage, you'll never need to worry about this.

If you like the feature set of the 7D, buy one, get a lens or two, and go make pictures. If you want to save a few bucks, get a 40D and a lens or two, and go make pictures.
Pages: [1]   Go Up