Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiblitz Propac 2 + Profilux 600 head first use question....  (Read 2456 times)

sperera

Multiblitz Propac 2 + Profilux 600 head first use question....
« on: November 13, 2009, 03:22:19 pm »

Hi there, just received Multiblitz Propac 2 + Profilux 600 head - this is the first battery back kit i own and indeed the first NEW studio light I own so I've come across this 'be sure to form the flash capacitors before first use of equipment' question.

I reads:
"be sure to form the flash capacitors before first use of equipment as well as after every 3 months of storage. To do this proceed as follows:
1. Connect the supplied mains cable bla bla......fine understood
2. Increase the energy output at 15 minute intervals over the f-stops (J.. - 1/1) - okay, I dont understand what they mean on how to do it....the Profilux 600 head has a digital 7-stop range in tenths..
3. Do not fire any flashes during the formation process too late, fired one or two cos you know how it is.....cant resist it!..
4. Leave the unit set at full energy (1/1) for about an hour don't understand this either....what do they mean with the modelling light on or what..
Formation of the flash capacitor is completed after one hour and the unit is ready for use."

Would appreciate an explanation of how to do this.....thanks in advance!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 03:24:51 pm by sperera »
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

K.C.

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 04:18:17 am »

It's as simple as it sounds. Though if you're not familiar with the process I can understand that it may not make sense.

Forming a capacitor is a process of conditioning it to hold, and then release, the high level of energy your flash discharges when fired.

When a capacitor has not been used for an extended period of time it will not fully charge.

So you fired it, no worries. You didn't do any harm.

Now connect it to the mains with the flash output set at the lowest level. After 15 minutes or more turn it up a stop. Repeat this in 15 minute intervals until you've turned it up to the full output. Now let it charge for an hour or more. Now fire it and let it fully charge for an hour or more.

That's it. Your capacitors are formed.

If you go for a few weeks without using your flash you'll need to repeat this process to insure that you're getting the full power output it's designed for.

sperera

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 09:28:19 am »

thanks for your advice much appreciated!!!!

One thing though....is this all with the modelling light on or off!?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:29:16 am by sperera »
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:42:11 am »

Quote from: sperera
thanks for your advice much appreciated!!!!

One thing though....is this all with the modelling light on or off!?

Modelling light has nothing to do with it. Better keep it off.
Cheers Ulf

K.C.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 02:55:59 pm »

As Ulf said, the modeling light has no effect on it, except for creating heat and using electricity while on.

sperera

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 06:16:18 pm »

Quote from: K.C.
As Ulf said, the modeling light has no effect on it, except for creating heat and using electricity while on.
THANKS PEOPLE.....
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up